Eddystone Range report

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Eddystone Range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Eddystone Range report

The ammunition used today was all Greek HXP surplus M2 Ball.

It took about ten rounds to get it on paper at 50 yards. When I reassembled the rifle after refurbishing it, I just approximated the scope position. But once it was there, it was pretty well dialed. The cloverleaf is the last three shots at 50 yds.

Then I took it out to 100 yards and it did pretty well. I figured the rifle was okay, but I wasn't able to really steady myself up today for some reason. So the crummy shooting is me, not the rifle.

Then we headed over to the 300 yard range. The long distance picture is looking downrange 300yds. from the benches.

My first 10 rounds were on paper, but way low. I adjusted my aim and aimed at the center of the head area of the silhouette target and hit at about 10 o'clock and around 5" left.

That's where I had some problems. The next several rounds wouldn't chamber all the way. They'd load, but wouldn't completely chamber. They stuck out maybe 1/8". I didn't have a cleaning rod, so I had to borrow one from another shooter. I did that a few times, but I didn't want to be a PITA, so I packed it up.

When I got home, I cleaned the barrel for probably an hour and went at the chamber with a chamber brush. I used Hoppes Elite Bore Gel, Sweets 7.62 and finished off with spray Hoppes Elite. A bunch of copper came out. I don't know how good I got the chamber, but it has to be a whole lot better than it was.

I figure the chamber was gummed up and that's why those last rounds wouldn't chamber all the way. BTW, there's very little take up in the trigger and it has a really crisp break. It's a pretty sweet trigger. Whoever sporterized it did an excellent job.

Here's some pics, first is the 300yd. range from the benches, second is 100yds. and the last is the 50yd. target.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 10-12-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very nice CA, Very nice indeed!! I still have to get my model 10 out and finish sighting the optics and breaking in the barrel. At some time, I need to brew 10 gallons of beer too!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default Eddystone

I have an Eddystone also. Mine is stock, I even have the bayonet.

Nice shooting!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice shooting, CA!

I love those rifles.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That report was back in October. I've gotten it dialed in since then. It's a shooter for sure. For a surplus rifle over ninety years old, it's as accurate as I'm capable of shooting.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams