Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Dusting off the Winchester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dusting off the Winchester

This is my (inherited) model 94 30-30 Winchester, Teddy Roosevelt commemerative edition. It has quite the history in my family, though it is a long story. Bear with me; it's kind of neat to hear it.

About 40 years ago, my grandfather (on my mother's side) bought it as a "glass safe" kind of gun. He never intended to fire it. Shortly after buying it, a dog attacked my mother (who was a girl at the time) on their Illinois farm. He reached for the closest weapon, which happened to be that Winchester, and killed the dog. That was the one and only shot ever put through it.

Fast forward about 20 years. My parents got married, moved to Az, and had me. Being sick of the cold, my grandma and grandpa followed them shortly after. The move was a bit rough financially, and my grandpa started selling off his guns to make ends meet (many of which my father bought). Dad really wanted to buy the Winchester; he thought it was something that should definitely stay in the family. Unfortunately, he couldn't afford what my grandpa was asking for it. So, in stepped my other grandpa. Dad went to him and told him the story about the rifle. He agreed that it should stay in the family, so grandpa bought it from grandpa. Being the only duaghter of my mother, it was decided upon that I would eventually get the rifle.

I finally got it when I turned 18. My mom presented it to me for my birthday, but unfortunately tripped and dropped it on the way to the table, cracking the stock. I was still all sorts of excited about it, but it sadly stayed in my closet since I was under the mindset that it was for safe keeping only.

Super fast forward to about 2 months ago... I decided to break out the old Winchester and look into getting the stock fixed, yet somehow keep the original stock. Thankfully, my gunsmith Frank is pretty darn good with woodworking. When I picked it up from him, he mentioned that it was still perfectly capable. So, despite the glares that I got from my family, I prepped it for a range run.

Even though it hadn't had a round through it in 35 years, this rifle fired strait and true, and dead on at that. For a 30-30, the recoil is not that bad. Granted, I did walk away with a sore arm that day (which was mainly due to all the other rifles we fired).

So, sorry about the crappy pics... All I had with me was my cell phone. If nothing else though, the story is worth sharing.

So without further adeiu...

Next to my other model 94 Winchester 30-30

The reason my family nicknamed it the "Silver Dollar Carbine" (even though it's not a silver dollar)

First round

Needless to say, it has always been my favorite firearm. Now, it's definitely leaps and bounds ahead of my other long guns.

Last edited by Jynx; 07-23-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And just for the hell of it, here are a few more from that day

Table #1

Table #2

Killing the hell out of some steel plates

And my "crew" (boyfriend, brother, Dad, uncle).

Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

45 years ago my buddy Lance's dad bought him one of those commemorative Mod. 94s for his 12th. birthday. I think it was a Teddy Roosevelt and might of had gold plating but I could be mistaken. I know it had an octagon barrel and was a really cool present for a 12 year old. That was around 1965, a lifetime ago and many misplaced and lost friends.

I often wonder about how's Lance is doing as he moved away when he was 15. Lance and I squirrel and rabbit hunted together as soon as we were old enough to be trusted with firearms. Those were definitely different times back then.

Catherine, I really appreciate you for sharing your story. Shoot Straight and Stay Safe, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

Great looking rifle. One day I'll have a lever action to enjoy myself. I think that having things like that passed down through family is a great treasure. Cool looking desert spot too.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
45 years ago my buddy Lance's dad bought him one of those commemorative Mod. 94s for his 12th. birthday. I think it was a Teddy Roosevelt and might of had gold plating but I could be mistaken. I know it had an octagon barrel and was a really cool present for a 12 year old. That was around 1965, a lifetime ago and many misplaced and lost friends.

I often wonder about how's Lance is doing as he moved away when he was 15. Lance and I squirrel and rabbit hunted together as soon as we were old enough to be trusted with firearms. Those were definitely different times back then.

Catherine, I really appreciate you for sharing your story. Shoot Straight and Stay Safe, Joe
Mine is a 1969 commemerative, and does indeed have the octagon barrel. His may have been a Teddy like mine, or the Centennial or the Buffalo Bill commemerative. Either way, you can't go wrong with a model 94. I can remember oogling at it as a kid when my dad would drag it out for cleaning. "That's going to you someday, baby sister." Man, someday seemed like a lifetime away. As a teenager, I had almost forgotten about it completely. When Mom & Dad gave it to me for my birthday, I cried my eyes out. My other model 94 is actually older that the Teddy Rossevelt (circa 1940-something), and is a great little rifle. But, this one has a tad more meaning

Trust me, I had to field quite a bit of sh*t from my family for taking it out. I completely understand. When both my grandpas passed within a year of each other, it was very rough on our family. So we try to save and hide away everything we have from them. But, should worse come to worse, if that rifle happens to be the only firearm I have on hand, I need to be able to rely on it to fire. My grandpas would've understood that This is not something that will see the range very often. Every once in a while though, it will be nice to enjoy.

Last edited by Jynx; 07-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

Great story, thanks!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for sharing that. It's pretty neat to hear and I'm glad all has worked out so well so far!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Suh-WHEEEET!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for sharing that with us Jynx.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

What a story! You couldn't make up something better I don't think. I love those old rifles. I ended up with a 94 that my wife's grandfather traded a hog to about 30 years ago. It's not a commiserative model like yours but it's been around a little while and I was very proud to receive it.

Thanks for sharing your story. I love hearing about things like this. Too many times old family guns end up gone. Usually after a How much is it worth thread in some gun forum

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson