DPMS sweet 16

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > DPMS sweet 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default DPMS sweet 16

So I finally got down to Columbia, NC (thats near you spitty) and my cousin helped me(or I should say I watched mostly) put on my new quad rail and collapsible stock. I will say I think I learned quite a bit. Later in the day we got a chance to head down to his range and site her in. We used plain jane Remington UMC 55 gr to get it as close as I could. That took about 30 rounds(by the way, no FTF or FTE or FTL). No real need to show this target as it was very high(12") at the begining and shooting about 6" to the right. It was getting late in the day but I still got a chance to fire 20 rounds to show you guys. This time I used Federal Premium 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. Now this was the first time I've ever fired an AR and I dont think we have it zero'd quite enough but its pretty close. The target was 100 yards out and I was aiming at 6 o'clock of the black(like looking at a pumkin on a post). I felt pretty good about how it turned out, but definitely not satisfied so I'm sure there is definitely more zeroing in my future.

Now right before we left I got to shoot my cousin's AR. Its a Rock River arms lower, with a del-ton upper, without a floating barrel. Fixed front post with an Eotech red dot to co-witness. I must say I love the red dot with the fixed sites. I also shot this at 100 yards at a much much smaller target, and boy was she on. 7 shots and I must say I want my DPMS to be dialed in like that. I definitely see a Eotech red dot in my future, they are sweet!

Alright guys, now I know my first target isn't the best, but at least its honest. Let me know what you think.

jwhirl

by the way I also picked up my new SIG P220. Didn't get to shoot her but pics of her will be posted in a few.
Needless to say I've had a great Day!!!!

rangeday-001.jpg   rangeday-002.jpg   rangeday-005.jpg   rangeday-006.jpg  

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 12-08-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nice rifle you got there Jwhirl.. and not bad shooting for the first time out with her.

Now lets see some pics of the new Sig

Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post

Now lets see some pics of the new Sig
She's over in the semi auto section

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sig-sauer-p220-20814/

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Last edited by jwhirl413; 12-08-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

looks like i shouldn't have posted a range report when everyone was having all the waterboy fun!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Nice job, jwhirl.

Dead zombie right there.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhirl413 View Post
looks like i shouldn't have posted a range report when everyone was having all the waterboy fun!
Good shooting, good groups @ 100 yards, good range report, and a damn nice looking DPMS black stick rifle, Jwhirl.

I wonder if Water-Turd has seen this?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

There are several better choices.

I kid!
Nice shooting and the Eotech would be a great addition. Although you should check out Bushnell's version as well, its made by the same company just with a plastic shell instead of metal and a lower price tag.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #8

the first pic (the one with your gun) was pretty damn good for no scope iron sight shooting imo. what were the tiny holes though? was that a bb target? maybe a .410 at close(ish) range?

the second (with the red dot) was pretty good shooting too.

you're pretty close with your sights. i would not change them again until you get more practice. that may be all you need. if you get super good but all your shots are in a 1/2 inch group just below the bull you can move it up a hair. just my .02.

i'm sure the red dot will make it easier to shoot tighter groups too.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
the first pic (the one with your gun) was pretty damn good for no scope iron sight shooting imo. what were the tiny holes though? was that a bb target? maybe a .410 at close(ish) range?

The 223 doesn't leave a very large hole

Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhirl413 View Post
The 223 doesn't leave a very large hole
wait. what? i see 7 large holes and about twenty specs. are you saying the specs are your .223 shots? if so how big is that target?

to me it looked like it was zoomed in on a regular sized target and the small holes look to be bb sized (smaller than a .22 anyway).

i'm not that experienced with the .223 but i thought they made a bigger hole than that on a standard target. are they really that small at 100 yds?