Don't Do That Dudes - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Don't Do That Dudes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffitt View Post
Not all women want to shoot 22 . My ex wife hates them. She likes beretra 9mm . Every shooter is different. She started out on sti. 45 why would women would should only start on 22. Little degrading to me.
It's about putting something in their hand that will not make any new shooter regardless of gender comfortable. Too much gun at first does nothing to support the new shooter. I don't think it has to be a 22 but there should be options open to the new shooter so they can choose a gun that wont scare the crap out of them and not want to shoot again. But if I was going to go to one extreme or the other I'd rather them have a smaller weapon than one too big.

It's easier to keep ones attention when you don't try to overwhelm them. I can't even count all the new shooters that had some asshat that thought it was just great to put a 357 snubby in some new shooters hands with full house loads and watch them freak out.
Keeping things easy and simple to start wit has got me several new shooting buddies and made some new enthusiasts out of someone that was not really comfortable before because of stupid macho crap. How many Youtube videos are posted where people thought it was funny to put a 44 in the hands of some 96 lb 18 year old girl that has never held a gun before. Laughs to be had by all weeEEEEEE

Sure, everyone is not the same. But I'm going to have a 22 available before I toss them a 45 or 357, or even a 9mm right out of the gate. Usually if you try to explain what to expect and they see it being shot and they see how a few rounds act they will then make a choice what they want to start with and not be overwhelmed.

I want to help make more gun people, not look for a cheap laugh and turn them away. So a better fit to their hands and a caliber that is easy to control makes a great first step.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

something i saw personally back in September when we had our Texas meet and greet was Robocop coaching Woody63's wife in shooting some magnum revolvers. now she was not a stranger to pistols but was wanting to venture into getting a magnum revolver. Robo started her on the 357 with light 38 spl. loads and kept moving her up, explaining the difference in recoil and what to expect. he also had shot them show her what they looked being shot. she made it all through a 357 Magnum, a 41 Magnum and then a 44 Magnum with great results. Roba was a fantastic teacher.

i think you have to take in consideration the new shooters experiance and adapt from there. a total newb, i still think it's best to start with a 22 and progress from there, into larger calibers, one step at a time.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #73

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Mohawk,

Always start a new shooter, and especially one that has a fear of firearms on a .22, preferably a target pistol. Always always always! Don't even think of putting the 9mm in her hand. Put one round in the .22, and let her shoot it. It may be all she shoots that day. the only question you should be asking her after that one round, would you like to try it again? If yes, give her 3-5 rounds, if no, pack up and go home, and it's the absolute last thing you say about the subject for at least a week.

Does she have a g/f that is familiar with firearms? Bring her along.

Good luck!
We plan to bring along a familiar female the carries daily. 3 of us are bringing our spouses to learn them.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #74

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I would say that this is good advice regardless of the shooter. Sorry if someone already said this.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #75

Her first shot was from a 40. She was afraid of the "pop" so my buddy put his hands over hers and pulled the trigger. He told her what he planned on doing and she was fine with it. She was then confident enough to shoot the Glock 19 all by herself. She wants one. SO we are looking at Glock 19C and M&P 9mm

Quote:
Quote:

www.loryno.com
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #76

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk
her first shot was from a 40. She was afraid of the "pop" so my buddy put his hands over hers and pulled the trigger. He told her what he planned on doing and she was fine with it. She was then confident enough to shoot the glock 19 all by herself. She wants one. So we are looking at glock 19c and m&p 9mm
get the m&p!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
get the m&p!!!!!!!!!!
She held a fullsize the other day. It fits PERFECT with the small backstrap. So, We need to find a place with a Compact 9mm we can shoot.

Quote:
Quote:

www.loryno.com

Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #78
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
She held a fullsize the other day. It fits PERFECT with the small backstrap. So, We need to find a place with a Compact 9mm we can shoot.
check out the SA XDm line-up as well. that's one of the features over the XD line-up, is that they also have interchangeable backstraps on the XDm's.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #79

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk

I prefer the small back strap as well. The m&p is a fantastic shooter and I'd recommend it over a glock every day of the week. It will not disappoint you

Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #80

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, the student I would never want (but I have made exceptions) is my wife or significant other.
First time I let Mrs. fire my 1911, I loaded five in the mag. She put all five in the black at 25yds. This was after a cursory block of instruction about handguns in general and the 1911 in particular. Didn't know whether to be proud or frightened. To the question. I try to get on the range as early as possible. If anyone else is there, they're usually well drilled and like minded. When it starts getting crowded with those who divide their time between the firing line and their smart phone, it's time to leave.