Don't Do That Dudes - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Don't Do That Dudes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I think those here or on other firearm forums probably know better. The challenge is getting those who donít realize the harm theyíre doing, aware of it, and getting those who are aware of it and think its funny, to change their sense of humor.
I think that sometimes it is a macho thing. The guy consciously or un-consciously thinks he is a stud and lets his lady find out how much a stud he is by handing her something she is un-prepared to shoot. There are a lot of videos on You-tube that have guys filming their women taking it on the chin, or even being knocked down by a recoiling firearm. Is sure a recipe for turning a women off guns, and would surely not help your argument about bringing a new toy home soon.
People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
I think that sometimes it is a macho thing. The guy consciously or un-consciously thinks he is a stud and lets his lady find out how much a stud he is by handing her something she is un-prepared to shoot. There are a lot of videos on You-tube that have guys filming their women taking it on the chin, or even being knocked down by a recoiling firearm. Is sure a recipe for turning a women off guns, and would surely not help your argument about bringing a new toy home soon.
Yeah, and probably that is the last time she ever trusts him. I would tell her to drop him entirely.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #63

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I am having to deal with the issues of the second trip to the range with one of these ladies.

My girlfriend dated a guy years ago that took her to the range and laughed when she shot his .45. It caused severe emotional damage about guns. It has taken me almost a year of carrying one DAILY and even sleeping with it under my pillow for her to even entertain the IDEA of going to the range. We may go tomorrow. The BIGGEST round she will fire will be a 117gr 9mm. She knows about firearm safety and will hold mine, though you can still tell she is nervous. We are BOTH going to a firearm safety school on Tuesday. She doesn't want to go alone, and I figure "Heck, can't hurt to have a refresher!".

She has decided that she wants a gun to carry, daily. She is a new mom and wants to be able to protect herself and the baby when I am not there. I have made it VERY clear that she isn't ready for that yet. She understands this and wants to start making progress.

SO... we will shoot the 9mm. IF she can handle it and likes it, COOL! PERFECT! If it makes her even a TINY bit nervous or scares her, we will switch to a .380. IF she can handle it GREAT! If not, we drop to a .22.

Heck, now that I type this, I think I may have it backwards. We will start with the .22 and move up if she is comfortable and confident.

She has no qualms about carrying a .22 and has fallen in love with the SR22. I kinda like it to. I figure I'd rather her carry a .22 she is comfortable, proficient and accurate with than have a .45 that sits at home. And as all of you can vouch for, a .22 is a hell of a lot better than throwing rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #64
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I am having to deal with the issues of the second trip to the range with one of these ladies.

My girlfriend dated a guy years ago that took her to the range and laughed when she shot his .45. It caused severe emotional damage about guns. It has taken me almost a year of carrying one DAILY and even sleeping with it under my pillow for her to even entertain the IDEA of going to the range. We may go tomorrow. The BIGGEST round she will fire will be a 117gr 9mm. She knows about firearm safety and will hold mine, though you can still tell she is nervous. We are BOTH going to a firearm safety school on Tuesday. She doesn't want to go alone, and I figure "Heck, can't hurt to have a refresher!".

She has decided that she wants a gun to carry, daily. She is a new mom and wants to be able to protect herself and the baby when I am not there. I have made it VERY clear that she isn't ready for that yet. She understands this and wants to start making progress.

SO... we will shoot the 9mm. IF she can handle it and likes it, COOL! PERFECT! If it makes her even a TINY bit nervous or scares her, we will switch to a .380. IF she can handle it GREAT! If not, we drop to a .22.

Heck, now that I type this, I think I may have it backwards. We will start with the .22 and move up if she is comfortable and confident.

She has no qualms about carrying a .22 and has fallen in love with the SR22. I kinda like it to. I figure I'd rather her carry a .22 she is comfortable, proficient and accurate with than have a .45 that sits at home. And as all of you can vouch for, a .22 is a hell of a lot better than throwing rocks!
I would say start with the .22 and after she is fully comfortable with that she will ask to try something bigger. Its not so much the recoil, but getting her familiar with the noise and everything. Let her drive the whole thing. Do not get impatient with her.
People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

idiots that put large caliber and hard recoiling guns into the hands of those who are not use to them, whether it be a woman or a youngster for a few laughs, are immature bullies.

i think i have said this before, but i will say it again, i can't stand a bully. IMO, bullies are cowards. these types of displays are childish and immature and potentially dangerous to everyone involved.

anytime we get a new firearm i want my wife to know how to shoot it, in case there is a need for her to have to use that firearm. but i don't just load it and throw her to the wolves with it. i show her how in fuctions and it's operations and then shoot it so she can have some idea as to what type of recoil to expect.

she is no stranger to shooting, but still i don't just hand it to her without some instruction and insight about the gun. i want my wife to have an enjoyable experiance when shooting and i do have some she has tried she didn't care for, but there are some she really liked that suprised me, her liking them.
People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
idiots that put large caliber and hard recoiling guns into the hands of those who are not use to them, whether it be a woman or a youngster for a few laughs, are immature bullies.

i think i have said this before, but i will say it again, i can't stand a bully. IMO, bullies are cowards. these types of displays are childish and immature and potentially dangerous to everyone involved.

anytime we get a new firearm i want my wife to know how to shoot it, in case there is a need for her to have to use that firearm. but i don't just load it and throw her to the wolves with it. i show her how in fuctions and it's operations and then shoot it so she can have some idea as to what type of recoil to expect.

she is no stranger to shooting, but still i don't just hand it to her without some instruction and insight about the gun. i want my wife to have an enjoyable experiance when shooting and i do have some she has tried she didn't care for, but there are some she really liked that suprised me, her liking them.
This is exactly right. Why would you want to turn someone off to firearms?
People Like This 
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #67
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
This is exactly right. Why would you want to turn someone off to firearms?
that's my point. some idiots think it's funny to do this to a new shooter, a woman or a youngster. when we turn someone away from guns due to stupidity by doing this, we lose a potential new member of the shooting community and a potential gun owner.

my wife enjoys shooting and i enjoy the time we spend together shooting and i truly love my wife and would never want to do something to spoil that time we spend together by being anidiot and acting stupid.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #68

Liked 231 Times on 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCarry
I can't search on this electronic device of mine.

So my apology if this is a duplicate post.

>> Woman dies after apparently accidentally shooting herself in the head at Missouri gun range. << link

the woman was shooting a .500-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun

And some people (in this thread) don't see a problem with starting off at too high a caliber first.

X frames have compensators?
HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Mohawk,

Always start a new shooter, and especially one that has a fear of firearms on a .22, preferably a target pistol. Always always always! Don't even think of putting the 9mm in her hand. Put one round in the .22, and let her shoot it. It may be all she shoots that day. the only question you should be asking her after that one round, would you like to try it again? If yes, give her 3-5 rounds, if no, pack up and go home, and it's the absolute last thing you say about the subject for at least a week.

Does she have a g/f that is familiar with firearms? Bring her along.

Good luck!
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 11-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #70

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Luckily my wife grew up with guns and wanted to go shooting whenever I went. She can outshoot me with any rifle but has never shot a pistol. I started her off with explaining the functions of my gun and how to use it properly and safely. After that was out of the way I gave her one round of 9mm in a full sized, steel pistol that gave it very low recoil. She shot it damn near the bullseye the first time and looked back with a look of, why the hell did you even worry about that.