Don't Do That Dudes - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Don't Do That Dudes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
Turned out the dude had a Mark II at home.

I may have torqued him off a bit but she liked shooting my Mark III much more than his hand cannon.
I think some of them are trying to show how manly they are.

EDIT

But I would like to add...

I have friends and family come down all the time to shoot, and most of the time there is a girl or woman that has never shot a gun before. I'll let them shoot the 30-30 or 30-06 after instruction, and they love it! Most even hit the 300 yard 8 inch target.

The last woman that came down had no interest in the 22s and said as much. But when I bought out the 30-06 she asked if I would show her how to shoot it. She did better than all the guys on her first time shooting a center fire rifle... only 1/2 inch from hitting the 2 inch target at 300 yards.

I just wanted to point out that proper instruction can go a long way. Some of those guys are setting-up their woman friends to fail; when a newbie shoots one of my firearms, I set them up to win, no matter what their gender.

Last edited by The_Kid; 05-13-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: On the other side of the coin.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #42

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusterleXD
My dad started me out on a .22 at an early age (somewhere around 3 to 5 years old). We would go down to the creek where we would toss aluminum cans from the bridge and my dad would set me up and help hold he rifle while I engaged moving targets! I never got to carry my own rifle (unloaded) until I was around 9 or 10. I shot only .22s up until I was in HS when I went with a friend and we shot center fire hand guns. I have always been around guns and got my wife to shoot a couple of times. One was from a .22 Marlin bolt action rifle that I helped hold and the other from a .22 revolver my dad gave me. She saw a friend of ours shooting a pistol with crimson trace grips on it and now wants to try to shoot a .22 with laser sights on it.
Oh does that bring back great memories. My Dad and me on this old wooden bridge shooting bottles and cans. Back then cans were not aluminum they were steel and you had to use a can opener to drink a can coke.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #43

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I always start the ladies out with something smaller.

After the 22LRs, you'd be surprised how many want to

go to higher calibers, despite many fair warnings.

Women generally shoot well,(and surprisingly accurately)

if you introduce them to 22s first...

Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #44

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffitt View Post
. . . Little degrading to me.
Degrading? Really?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #45

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffitt View Post
Not all women want to shoot 22 . My ex wife hates them. She likes beretra 9mm . Every shooter is different. She started out on sti. 45 why would women would should only start on 22. Little degrading to me.
Novices don't want to get knocked down by some

"manly" cannon. I started with a BB gun. Funny, I didn't feel

as though it was degrading to me...

IME, I've never had a woman at the range shoot a .22

who wasn't either a little relieved at the minimal

recoil, or who didn't enjoy herself, or both.

I'll keep using the 22LR as a training and orientation tool.

I'll proudly take my chances on the risk that some woman,

at some future point in time, may feel "degraded" because

I didn't hand her a firearm which would smack her in the

face, give her a nosebleed, and knock her on her ass...
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

There is nothing at all degrading about light calibers. Lots of fun and can be really accurate. It all depends on how you present it. I would suggest not starting them off by saying "OK Honey, now since you are a virgin to shooting I'm going to start you off with something really small and easy...."

Not gonna get any points there my friends. That is degrading.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #47

Its not the caliber that's degrading its assuming women should start out w small caliber. Anyone properly instructed can fire anything regardless of male of female. That was my point. I think. 22 are great starters but not for everyone.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffitt
Its not the caliber that's degrading its assuming women should start out w small caliber. Anyone properly instructed can fire anything regardless of male of female. That was my point. I think. 22 are great starters but not for everyone.
The intent of the thread was to discuss range respect and responsibility. Responsibility to correctly introduce shooting to a non-shooter and to respect that person so as not to ruin the process.

You have apparently done it right but my observations are of a whole class of pecker heads that are clueless and ignorant. Of the examples I listed, I suspect we lost several potential members of our shooting family because of this.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #49

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started off with marlin 22lr when I was a kid. After that I went straight to 12 guage then on to a 270. But with handguns I went from a 22lr to 9mm to 357mag then to 44mag all in a year and a half. I was one of those kids who started off being a gun nut early. Every other kid saved money to buy BS while I saved my cash to buy some new guns.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #50

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My mom doesn't really care for 22's. With handguns she started of with a Taurus 38 special. Then she went to Remington 1100 12 guage. Then she got her a Norinco MC-5D 7.62X39 mm.