Don't Do That Dudes - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Don't Do That Dudes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think any beginner should start with a 22. i agree that idiots who think it's funny to start their GF or wife off with some massive hand cannon doesn't have a whole lot of brains or common sense, much less any decency. my wife could shoot long before she and i were married, and has no problem with most of my pistols. the only one she doesn't really care for is the 44 magnum, but she could shoot it if she were in a need to. she likes the pump 12ga's, but doesn't like the O/U or the semi auto's at all. when i have her try out new guns, i do the same thing WOC suggests, i shoot it first and explain what the recoil is going to feel like. then i instruct her in it's operation and it's safeties, so she has a clear understanding of how it operates. she also doesn't like my bolt action rifles, but she has fell in love with my Winchester M94 30-30 rifle.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started my wife on shooting last month only have the one pistol a 9mm, but had my friend bring his .22 single shot rifle and .380 colt. warned her bout the kick made sure she had a good idea of what to do and how to hold it. first round scared her a bit, got more comfortable as she went. She really fell in love with the .22 rifle, plan on gettin her one soon. Just inherated(sp) my grandfathers 9 shot .22lr revolver she likes it but prefers my 9mm

Ya just noticed this is my 100th post read a whole lot but i'm realitively new to the firearms scene. Learning allot though and this fourm has helped allot guys
Thanx and srry went off topic

Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #23

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My wife doesn't shoot and she has no interest in shooting. I've been offering for 32 yrs. She has nothing against guns but she ain't shootin em. I started my grandson shooting my .22/45 3 yrs. ago and he just loves it. He is 9 yrs. old now. Last weekend he started shooting my SR40 and the SR9c. He did real well after the first shot. IMO and from experience .22 is the way to start them.

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #24

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did the same with my wife. She's shot before, but always only shot .22 rifles. Got her a .22 bolt action, put a scope on it (cost as much as the rifle), and she fell in love with it. Then I went to the range with her and was zeroing my .270 I bought. I saved the last shot, because she sat there and watched me toss 59 rounds down range...long story short, she wanted to shoot it. Explained the kick of it, and even video taped her shooting it.
Ten ring at 50 yards with her first shot on it. Long story short? We have his and her .270's in the closet now. She loves it. She sighted it in. I will say, anyone that wants to let their wife shoot a larger bore rifle? Wally world sells a shoulder pad for about $12.00 that drastically reduces the kick, and she has it on her rifle.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #25

I'm still yet to get my wife to the range. I have a ruger 10/22 for her to start with. I want her to enjoy it and want to get involved more. Not be scared and never wanna touch a gun again. I was started out shooting a sears robuck 22. I think was a marlin model 60 bolt action. But i started with that then after learning you move up.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
hmh

Liked 157 Times on 109 Posts

I started my wife shooting with a 10/22 and she has moved up to shooting my 1911. One of my pet peave is seeing people on youtube handing girls guns that are way to big for them to start with. You know that it will most likely end up with them never shooting and disliking guns.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #27

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I introduced my to pistols with my Ruger Single Six. Her Dad introduced her to rifles long before I was around. 99% of my shooting is rifles and some but not a lot with center fire pistols. I inherited a 38 and a 38 special from my Dad which neither he or I never shot so my wife and I went to the range one day when no one else was around and formally introduced ourselves to these pistols. I did better than I thought I would but she was the one giving the pointers. Then one day she encountered a rapeist at a laundermat. Fortunately a LEO ventured by and curtailed what might have been a very bad scene. We went to the gunshope that has very knowledgeable sales people. After finding salesman that understood her abilities and needs I told her to pick out a pocket pal and left her to make her own choice. When I finished browsing I returned to find her carressing an LCP 380.

The more she shoots it, the more she likes it. It's never is more than an arms length away from her. The funny part of it is; my hands are so arthritic I can't shoot it. It is too small for me to get a grip on. I didn't have a problem with the larger revolvers with substancial grips except a 44 Mag that belonged to a friend, hurt like hell. The friend insisted I shoot it and called me a sissy all the while laughing at me. When he saw his nice shiney Ruger bounce off the concrete he quit laughing. when he picked it up he appologised and said he didnt realize how bad my hands were. He'll probably never try to get someone else to shoot his cannon. I enjoy heavy recoil from a rifle but hand guns are another thing all together.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #28

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I started with a few .22 shots, then a few 9mm, then got my own .45. I can't stand these dumb*** who think they're strong and good shooters just because their girl can't handle their gun, it somehow makes them feel more manly to see that only THEY can handle it. On most of the videos on youtube, the girls don't even know how to hold the gun and the boyfriends act like they're pulling the most awesome prank on them by not teaching them how. These guys are among the gun owners I despise, they're in the same boat as the "all knowing" ones that want to get into every single gun conversation; they all give us a very bad rep and I feel stupid being associated to them as a gun owner.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #29

Likes Given: 25

I've seen jerks do that a few times at the range I go to. No respect for the women in ther lives.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7793 Times on 4680 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I've seen jerks do that a few times at the range I go to. No respect for the women in ther lives.
I feel they "have to keep the little lady in line". Show her how weak she is and how strong the man is.
DrumJunkie Likes This