Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Don't Do That Dudes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/dont-do-dudes-61950/)

elmerfudge 04-06-2012 04:42 AM

Don't Do That Dudes

Last three times at my outdoor range, a boyfriend, dad or husband introduced his girlfriend, daughter or wife to handgun shooting using a compact or sub compact .40 or .45.

First thing apparent was that the dude had not gone over gun handling or safety prior to handing a loaded weapon to the female. Then it was a quick two minute review and then telling her to fire away. BTW - this was the 50' range; not 25'.

One female shot only once, handed the Glock 36 to the dude and sat on the bench the rest of the time never firing again.

Another screamed rather loudly after each shot and, thank goodness, left with her boyfriend after a box of hardballs were shot between them.

The third actually drop the piece on the table twice shooting one clip.

Needless to say, several of us stood nervously behind the yellow line wondering where the hell the range master was hiding. Smart man.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not start off shooting a large caliber hand cannon. I'll bet most of us old farts started off with a .22 of some sorts.

If you want to teach someone (kid, whoever) the art of shooting, start out at home going over gun safety, gun handling, etc., etc. Don't expect a beginner to enjoy shooting your compact .40 or .45. Start them off with a .22 on the short range.

Just my opinion...

winds-of-change 04-06-2012 04:51 AM

I fully agree. Thank God I was introduced to guns by someone much more considerate than that.

Vincine 04-06-2012 10:18 AM

I think those here or on other firearm forums probably know better. The challenge is getting those who don’t realize the harm they’re doing, aware of it, and getting those who are aware of it and think its funny, to change their sense of humor.

readygirl 04-08-2012 06:20 AM

My dad started me out with a RUGER .22 auto, and a MARLIN model 60, i still have both those guns,and enjoy them all the time, plinking around the barn,etc. But i did learn to love shooting, and guns in general before moving up to heavy artillery LOL......

winds-of-change 04-08-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 764956)
My dad started me out with a RUGER .22 auto, and a MARLIN model 60, i still have both those guns,and enjoy them all the time, plinking around the barn,etc. But i did learn to love shooting, and guns in general before moving up to heavy artillery LOL......

Heavy artillary? I'm impressed. :eek:

Vikingdad 04-08-2012 06:31 AM

I totally agree. If the first introduction to firearms has a negative effect you are not doing the Second Amendment any good. Start them off easy and work them up.

robocop10mm 04-08-2012 08:28 AM

Dudes that do that kind of crap to their women are nothing but douche bags.

danf_fl 04-08-2012 09:38 AM

IMO, the student I would never want (but I have made exceptions) is my wife or significant other.

BUT, on the other hand, the wife or significant other is introduced to a side of me seldom seen.

ProCarry 04-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmerfudge (Post 763283)
I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not start off shooting a large caliber hand cannon. I'll bet most of us old farts started off with a .22 of some sorts.

If you want to teach someone (kid, whoever) the art of shooting, start out at home going over gun safety, gun handling, etc., etc. Don't expect a beginner to enjoy shooting your compact .40 or .45. Start them off with a .22 on the short range.

Just my opinion...

Agree 100%

I also hate when guys think its funny, they do it purposely so they can film it and post on Youtube or somewhere of the likes.
IMO, that makes US look bad

Gatoragn 04-08-2012 11:23 AM

When my asked me to help her learn to shoot, we went to an abandoned gas well site on my deer lease and she learned to shoot my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with .38 spl. I found out rather quickly I did not want her shooting at me. :D

She later picked her own revolver, S&W J frame airweight .38 spl.