Dominant eye - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Dominant eye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I am right handed and left eye dominant as well. In my pistol training class suggested that I put my left foot forward and right foot back and/or turn my head to the right slightly. I shoot with both eyes open and his suggestion works well for me. I am 68 years old and wear distance contacts so I had a pair of glasses made that goes from clear to readers. The glass fitter also changed the optical fitting to more match a shooting stance and pistol hold - I think he raised the focal point slightly if I remember what he said. Those glasses also helped to see the sights better without much head adjustment. I think experiementing with stance and head alignment may help your situation. At least it is worth a try.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #12

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I just had an eye exam to tweak my glasses. When I went to pick them up I couldnt see distance through the right lens so they reexamined and made a new set of lenses which were worse. The dr. said as long as I could see distance with my left eye the lenses were good. I asked for my money back and they charged me a cancelation fee of 20%. Ill never go back to Shawnee optical again. My 6 year old glasses work way better than the new ones did. The eye dr. shoots and couldn't understand why I had to see out of my right eye! If you are batting in baseball it is an advantage to be right handed and left eye dominant. You don't have to look past your nose and your left eye is closer to the pitcher so it is easier to follow the ball.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #13

Default red worked for me

I got a red dot for my GSG-5 with both eyes open It worked well all clip in a quarter at 25 yrds. Have to shot left handed in rifles shot right handed in pistols. I wish I had my young eyes back. Adding a red dot to my 1911 we will see how that works.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you shoot pistol defensively, you need to do it both eyes open if you can. Don't focus on the target, regardless. Always focus on the front sight. You should be looking at the target/threat, punch or bring the pistol up into your line of sight with a slight upward cant. Your eyes will pick up the frong sight. When this happens, focus on the front sight. You'll still see the target in the background. After you shoot, do it all over again. Don't make a habit of looking for your hits, just re-aquire and shoot again. If you aren't focused on the front sight, you won't be able to maintain good sight picture and you'll likely miss. If you're left eye dominant, just turn your head, don't move the gun as it can cause bad grip and shooting stance and make it harder to control recoil.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #15

Default left eye domaint right handed

I got it working
dsc_0001.jpg   dsc_0002.jpg