Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Dominant eye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dominant eye

I'm sure its been covered here often, but I'm right-handed, and definitely left-eye dominant, no question about that. BUT, Thursday on the range, for the first time in my 2 years of shooting now, I tried closing my left eye and using my right eye. (Had handguns on Thursday) It seems that there was very little difference in accuracy. I forgot to try keeping both eyes open, will try that next week.

I'm just past 60 now and my eyes are fine except for reading newspaper-size print. Can read it, but a hassle, so use reading glasses. Keeping the sights level for the vertical accuracy not a problem, but placing the front sight dead center in the rear sights is the problem. Shot placement is either left or right, and of course sometimes high and low too, but the left/right the major problem. I'm guessing prescription glasses would help me see the sights better.

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Depends on the prescription. Mine drive me crazy trying to shoot. I have progressive lenses that correct reading and distance.

I can't focus short distance on sights & see the target other than a blur. Or I can focus on the target, and can't see the sights other than a blur.

I'm trying both eyes open with a point & shoot sight. My red dots on pistols work.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #3

when you folks figure it out let me know .. i wear tri focal's .. talk about a pain in the butt .. i am also cross dominate eye shooter .. at least that's my excuse for being a bad shot

Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Cross Eyed!

Make yourself a patch to put over your right eye. If that doesn't work, remove the rear sight and shoot with both eyes open. The point and shoot takes time to learn but is more than worth it in the long run. It helps to shoot 22 cal. pistols because its alot cheaper. And if nothing else theres always the sawd off shotgun, and you can hit the target with both eyes closed.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #5

my buddy shoots both eyes open i just can't get it myself. Let us knowhow it works out

Old 12-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

Default What is the trick to shooting both eye's open?

when i try to shoot with both eye's open i get crossed eye .. it seems my left eye takes over so i see the target but then the front sight is blurred or gets in the way .. i can't shoot a rifle accurately with iron sights .. BUT .. i can shoot clay's with a shot gun because i just use the front sight and of course there is a longer sight picture .. i just put a red dot scope on my 22, 5" pistol, but the target is still blurry out at 25 yds .. so i am shooting at a blur .. very frustrating .. next i will try a rifle scope with an extended "eye relief" and hope that works .. i have had shooting glasses made .. helped some what, but i still don't shoot the way i know i am/was capable of .. well, when i was younger i did anyway ..
i have a front license plate that says "Getting old is not for Sissy's!" .. ain't that the truth! ..

Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Cross Eyed......

I did a search on eye dominance and there are lots of info. This one is very interesting. Easy Hit [U K] Ltd. Give it a look see.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I did a search on eye dominance and there are lots of info. This one is very interesting. Easy Hit [U K] Ltd. Give it a look see.
WHAT .. WHERE .. i don't see nada ..

Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I have a really tough time using the search feature embedded in this forum, yet I really love the forum. I just type into Google the search I want, then type "site:firearmstalk.com" Here...let me Google that for you:

left eye dominant site:firearmstalk.com

I shoot with both eyes open and just allow my dominant eye (in my case, right eye) do the work. On my guns with Crimson Trace, the laser dot messes with my brain. My wife is left-eye dominant and she has to cock her head over the sights.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 12-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Although I'm left handed and left eye dominant, I shoot semi-auto pistols right handed. I just use my dominant eye, focusing on the front sight, with both eyes open. When I shoot rifles or shotguns, I close my left eye(shooting RIGHT handed) , and focus on target. I don't know if this is the "correct" way to shoot, but it works well for me.

Semper Fi