Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > do you guys have this problem at your outdoor ranges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My buddy is the range officer at the range that i frequent and the Gun shop gives the range masters money for each 5 gal bucket they can fill up or something or other so i just sweep up my brass and donate.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 3682

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I was recently at a range that had pull down cloth screens (see through) between the stations. You brass pretty much stayed in your area. I am going to put some kind of brass screen together to take to the range.
We have the metal screen that only protects brass from flying into the next station. If you are tall and standing, brass will go over the protective screen. I normally have to sit.

Lately, I might go to the indoor shooting range locally and pay, since the outdoor range is basically a mud pit!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have this problem big time at our indoor range. Two fold. Depending on the gun, a lot of brass can fly out of the booth behind you, and I have to watch out for scavengers or two types. The people in the next booth who, while sweeping up their own brass, will sort of accidentally stray over behind your booth and sweep up yours. But worse yet, the range owners sweep up unclaimed brass and resell it in their retail store. I've caught the range owners sweeping up my brass more than once. The answer is always "Oh, sorry, I didn't know you wanted to keep it".

Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would be pretty pissed off if someone came and took my brass, but I don't have that problem at the ranges where I shoot. Generally people always collect their own brass here, either to save it for reloading or just to clean up.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah. I don't reload myself. But it is my brass. I paid for its. And it's worth money. Once or twice a year I haul my spent brass to the recycling center and get enough money to buy a bunch of new ammo.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

I would politely tell the guy that as long as he was in front of the firing line the range cannot go hot. Get behind the firing line. I also make it perfectly clear that I keep my brass for reloading. If I am at a range that has no staff and there is brass all over I will scavenge it to beat Hell, but only during the cease fire, if it has obviously been left behind and not when there are other shooters who might want to keep their brass. Nothing wrong with cleaning up somebody else's mess and making a few bucks at the same time!

Was this guy even there to shoot at all? Maybe he is just a scavenger recycling brass. (like the guy collecting aluminum cans and bottles for the deposit). If that's the case he needs to be told about range safety. He might just be ignorant.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't reload but keep my brass in the hopes of learning to reload or cash it in .I recently joined a private gun club.I've had no problems with poachers so far .On the other hand when i went to the public range there was always somebody hounding me for my brass and it get's on my nerves.I usually just pick up my own brass but in the rare circumstances I'am alone i'll pick up whats laying around .

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

No chasing is one of the best perks of shooting revolvers.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #29

Liked 332 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Was this guy even there to shoot at all? Maybe he is just a scavenger recycling brass. (like the guy collecting aluminum cans and bottles for the deposit). If that's the case he needs to be told about range safety. He might just be ignorant.
he didn't have a gun with him that i saw, which just pissed me off even more. i got the vibe that he was there enough that he should've known the rules & at least have the common courtesy to get the hell out of the way

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #30

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

I'm just jealous! Here in NH, to the best of my knowledge, we have no ranges like this. Almost all of our public ranges are indoors, the outdoor ones are membership only, and you have to jump thru hoops to get in. Nothing town or state maintained for everyone's use. The best we can do is get permission from a landowner, and go there, which is what our group currently does.

You agree, Jpattersonnh?