Deputies Showed Up!!! - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Deputies Showed Up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I have enjoyed many of your post in the past. Lighten up and let's all enjoy each others company.
Agreed. I have noticed on this and other forums that it seems like geographical differences in social customs and humor can cause misunderstandings.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #82
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8587 Times on 4959 Posts
Likes Given: 11151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
How does one prove you purchased it prior to xxxx . I have run into this issue before and lost w folding stocks.

So I can move into CA w my inventory as long as I don't sell them ? I could live w that.
Here is a sticky from Calguns forum that was posted by Librarian.

The wiki has a long article: Large-capacity magazine restrictions and there is a long thread here at Calguns but for those people who find themselves unable to click on a link:

Legal Considerations

California restricts certain things about magazines greater than 10 rounds; it has created a silly legal name for them - "large-capacity magazines" - and says we 'regular people' cannot import, sell or manufacture them. ("Dealer" FFLs may get licenses from DOJ for these activities; curio and relic licensees cannot.) The restriction applies to both centerfire and rimfire weapons.

It is perfectly legal - no restrictions at all in the Penal Code - to own and possess and use those "large-capacity magazines" in any gun*(see footnote), at any time, under any circumstances where it is legal to use a gun. Ownership, possession and use of "large-capacity magazines" are not crimes in PC; there is no section under which you could be charged.

Those who own "large-capacity magazines" are not required to keep records or receipts, and not required to explain how they got them.

The age of the magazine and the age of the gun mean nothing. The critical item is possession of the magazine(s) in California before January 1, 2000.

Yes, you can go out of state and buy magazines of any capacity - but you may not bring "large-capacity magazines" back to CA as complete magazines - that would be importing and that can be charged as a felony. 'Importing' ALSO applies to moving here or visiting here.

Yes, you can buy part kits to repair your existing magazines - but you cannot assemble them into complete "large-capacity magazines" inside CA - that would be manufacturing and that can be charged as a felony.

Yes, you can take one of those kits and create a 10-round magazine from the parts and some method of blocking the capacity; one example here.

You can have "large-capacity magazines"; no one may give them or sell them to you in California, and you may not give or sell them to anyone else in California. This includes sales from LEO and intrafamilial transfers - that would be included in selling and that can be charged as a felony.

There is no such thing as a "pre-ban" or "post-ban" "large-capacity magazine", and it doesn't matter. Markings on magazines have no legal meaning.

If you think your legal question has not been answered, follow the links at the top of this post and read the articles, then re-read items (2) and (3) above several times. Other questions are addressed below.

* Note: it is not a part of the "large-capacity magazine" law, but part of the 'assault weapon' law that says a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is an 'assault weapon'.

That means that

if your otherwise legal semiautomatic, centerfire rifle has a magazine lock, such as a 'bullet button',
and you use a "large-capacity magazine" in that weapon, (which, because of the magazine lock is effectively a fixed magazine rifle)
then you will have manufactured an 'assault weapon'.
That's a felony. Don't do that.

NOTE: A Registered Assault Weapon (RAW) is already an 'assault weapon', and not included in this problem. If you have a RAW, use any magazine you legally own.

Sept 8, 2011 ETA
Political and Meta-legal items

No, there is no 'expiration date' or 'sunset' on the magazine law.
No, there is no possibility the law will be repealed with the Legislature we have in 2011.
No, there is no current lawsuit in place or planned on the topic - mostly because gun rights litigators in CA have higher priorities.
Yes, something is being done - but you must exercise a rare quality - patience! Look for a new thread in the 2nd Amendment Forum from member hoffmang - Gene Hoffman.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #83

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seriously, yes if you heard a woman screaming in a ally yeah some $h!ts happening. And yes if you seen someone breaking in a house more than likely it's going to be a robbery. But calling on someone because they're shooting. WTF. What are the chances of it being bank robbers practicing for there crime spree. 1 in a 100,000,000. Dumb@sses. Yes the police have to do there jobs but if I heard a constant shooting in daylight without any screaming or sounds of cars speading away then why would I call the cops. Commin since. Yes when you're in the city and you hear gun fire there is something going on. But in the country more than likely no.

Stay safe, stay Second Amendment.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #84

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's just my 2 cents. Stay safe, stay second amendment.

Stay safe, stay Second Amendment.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #85

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Now we normally do not shoot any centerfire rifles or magnum pistols here at the house but under the circumstances I was willing to accommodate him.
Rebel,

I'm thinking maybe it was the first time these neighbors may have heard the gunfire, and perhaps these callers were not aware of the OPs range, and that it was not (yet) a reoccurring experience to them, and perhaps they were new to the country, and perhaps they called after hearing just the first few shots, not knowing that more would be following, and maybe they thought there was a domestic situation going on, or had been in one themselves, or something, and so on and so forth, etc. But I'm just guessing here.

My point is; If they didn't know any of the above, how would they live with themselves if they thought something bad was going down and they didn't call it in. Or they could be like many other people and decide to; Not get involved.

Maybe having to chose between being PITA busy bodies, and being neighbors who couldn't give a damm, they just made a poor choice.

Last edited by Vincine; 04-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #86

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its a California thing. Even the gun owners don't realize they have rights. LEO are taught a set of rules not on the books. Its not their fault, they [LEO] truely believe they are doing the right thing. Several years ago an incident like this landed a man in jail, he had his house searched, the LEO broke open his safe, took all his firearms, charged him with possession of a machine gun (a stripped AR15 lower), possesion of an Assault Weapon (Bushmaster AR15 Lower, which is on a list of certain AR15s that if you own, you must register), and resisting arrest, ( when they first arrived at his house he ignored them since he was on his land behind a locked gate and committing no crime shooting a .22 at a target 25 yards away)

Here's the kicker. They had been there for the same reason before. His drunk neighbor about 1/2 mile away heard hunters in the valley and called 911. The LEO assumed the shots she heard was him target shooting LEGALLY on his land without telling them first. The first responding LEO can be heard on his dash-cam saying something like, " if I have to go in there I am charging him with a crime." The LEO used the excuse "he could have just murdered someone in this home or there could have been more armed people in the home who were a threat to our safety" as a reason to search it. They are heard on the dash cams talking about what to use as a reason to bust open the safe.

No LEO were fired. It cost Mr Hart a life savings to defend himself...even when responding LEO knew he wasnt really doing anything wrong. Mr. Hart the victim here, was forced to plead NC to resisting arrest in exchange for all other charges being dropped. His lawyer, like most lawyers in CA...even the ones who say they are Gun lawyers don't really support the 2A...they just own guns. There are only a few firearms lawyers in CA I would trust. Well the lawyers didnt really research the laws. The lawyers also have to work with the LEO and DAs, and in small towns you can't piss these people off.

Watch the video and tell me if you think NOT calling the Police to ask permission or inform them of your target shooting is wise. Yes, I and many others agree its NOT NEEDED...but Mr Hart lost several thousands of dollars and is now restricted from CCW / LTC for his NC to a resisting arrest charge.

The video starts out cheezy, but picks up after the first minute. It features dash cam video and audio + commentary by a Reporter on our side of the 2A issue. Enjoy...warning strong language and if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure...don't watch this. You blood will boil.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #87

Liked 2524 Times on 1638 Posts

Mein kampf! I'm still waiting for the earthquake, all i'll have to do is remove a star from my flag.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #88

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
The "call in to dispatch" thing is almost certainly just an FYI to the dispatcher, not a request for permission. A courtesy FYI goes a long way to bring the LEOs over to your side, especially if you do it consistently. There's probably not a state law requiring compliance, it's more of a Golden Rule.
+1. *****, be glad they did not hassle anyone. They obviously just want to be able to calm down anyone who calls 911 reporting "gunfire."

Last edited by ScottA; 05-03-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Please be respectful

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #89

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer
Its a California thing. Even the gun owners don't realize they have rights. LEO are taught a set of rules not on the books. Its not their fault, they [LEO] truely believe they are doing the right thing. Several years ago an incident like this landed a man in jail, he had his house searched, the LEO broke open his safe, took all his firearms, charged him with possession of a machine gun (a stripped AR15 lower), possesion of an Assault Weapon (Bushmaster AR15 Lower, which is on a list of certain AR15s that if you own, you must register), and resisting arrest, ( when they first arrived at his house he ignored them since he was on his land behind a locked gate and committing no crime shooting a .22 at a target 25 yards away)

Here's the kicker. They had been there for the same reason before. His drunk neighbor about 1/2 mile away heard hunters in the valley and called 911. The LEO assumed the shots she heard was him target shooting LEGALLY on his land without telling them first. The first responding LEO can be heard on his dash-cam saying something like, " if I have to go in there I am charging him with a crime." The LEO used the excuse "he could have just murdered someone in this home or there could have been more armed people in the home who were a threat to our safety" as a reason to search it. They are heard on the dash cams talking about what to use as a reason to bust open the safe.

No LEO were fired. It cost Mr Hart a life savings to defend himself...even when responding LEO knew he wasnt really doing anything wrong. Mr. Hart the victim here, was forced to plead NC to resisting arrest in exchange for all other charges being dropped. His lawyer, like most lawyers in CA...even the ones who say they are Gun lawyers don't really support the 2A...they just own guns. There are only a few firearms lawyers in CA I would trust. Well the lawyers didnt really research the laws. The lawyers also have to work with the LEO and DAs, and in small towns you can't piss these people off.

Watch the video and tell me if you think NOT calling the Police to ask permission or inform them of your target shooting is wise. Yes, I and many others agree its NOT NEEDED...but Mr Hart lost several thousands of dollars and is now restricted from CCW / LTC for his NC to a resisting arrest charge.

The video starts out cheezy, but picks up after the first minute. It features dash cam video and audio + commentary by a Reporter on our side of the 2A issue. Enjoy...warning strong language and if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure...don't watch this. You blood will boil.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aGD32DENkk&feature=related
That's extremely unconstitutional and those officers should be in prison for that