Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Deputies Showed Up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2338 Times on 1520 Posts

I live in rural farm country in nw Ohio. I shoot all the time and have never had deputies show up. I clear it with my neighbor whose property adjoins and shoot across the field, for which I feel fortunate. Around here, if someone called every time they heard shots the sheriff would have to hire. It helps there is a range about a mile and a half from me.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I honestly don't think that gangbangers would think to practice out in the country. Have you actually heard of this? Around here we don't get that sort of stuff. I honestly think that the gangbangers are more afraid of the hillbillies than they are of the rival gangs, as a result they stay out of the boonies. At least that is my experience. I had one former gang member tell me something like (I don't vividly recall what he said exactly) that he would rather be the target of a drive-by shooting than face me in a face to face gunfight. Mind you, he was just a passing aquaintence, not anybody who knew me well. He just assumed that I can hit what I aim at without wasting shots (more or less what he said). I don't make myself out to be a gunfighter to anybody, because I am not and don't want to be one. I don't even play as one, let alone try and represent myself as one.
Do the names Platt and Maddox mean anythnig to you? The bank robbing duo that met their end in the now infamous Miami Shootout. They went into the everglades and practiced hundreds of rounds a week. We have shots fired calls around here that have no reasonable explanation. 15-20 shots along a desolate country road. When we get there, we finid empty casings (mostly 9mm) and no one around. Not the country boys shooting road signs so I can think of no other explanation.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
And the Police state started by good intention. They even used what sounded like reasonable arguments. And no one spoke out.
I wanted to post something very derogatory and argumentative, but decided to take the higher road. So we are to ignore shots fired calls and perhaps find the bodies later? How are the police to know what is legit target practice and what is a crime in progress? Good intentions? We do not go around seeking out target shooters. People call US! Granted many times these peopple are tight ass city folk that have moved to the country. Opening day for dove hunting is a field day of morons calling. "OMG, there is a man carrying a gun, dressed in camoflauge in the field across from my home. He is shooting into the air!" Dispatcher; "He is dove hunting. It is legal. No, we are not sending a deputy." These folks are clueless. I actually like to respond to these calls so I can tell the idiots to their face that they are stupid and to move back into the city.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

I wanted to post something very derogatory and argumentative, but decided to take the higher road. So we are to ignore shots fired calls and perhaps find the bodies later? How are the police to know what is legit target practice and what is a crime in progress? Good intentions? We do not go around seeking out target shooters. People call US! Granted many times these peopple are tight ass city folk that have moved to the country. Opening day for dove hunting is a field day of morons calling. "OMG, there is a man carrying a gun, dressed in camoflauge in the field across from my home. He is shooting into the air!" Dispatcher; "He is dove hunting. It is legal. No, we are not sending a deputy." These folks are clueless. I actually like to respond to these calls so I can tell the idiots to their face that they are stupid and to move back into the city.
Lmao. Isn't it unfortunate that's what law enforcement is most of the time? Stupid people seem to be greatly outnumbering common sense...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

An NCO once told me the ratio was 20 to 1 against.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I mean we could have all easily disappeared into the woods.
IME, walking away from the police seems to encourage their curiosity/need to speak with you.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Its not the police that u should be worried about starting a police state it's the federal government and their PMC buddies

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessguy01
Its not the police that u should be worried about starting a police state it's the federal government and their PMC buddies
True, but how about the people that think that everybody that has a gun is crazy or commiting a crime. When a large part of the population thinks this way, we are doomed. "blow up your tv"

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #49
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
. . . These folks are clueless. . .
This works both ways.
I expect city folk lost in the country are balanced by the country folk that are overwhelmed by their new life in the city. When I lived in the city I know I’ve taken more than a couple of kids from rural Virginia under my wings and taught them how to get a cab in the rain or where the good & cheap restaurants were, etc., until they came up to speed. (We were all art students at the time.) I can’t count the number out of towners I helped navigate the NYC subway system, deciphered the address they had, or led to their destination.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
This works both ways.
I expect city folk lost in the country are balanced by the country folk that are overwhelmed by their new life in the city. When I lived in the city I know I’ve taken more than a couple of kids from rural Virginia under my wings and taught them how to get a cab in the rain or where the good & cheap restaurants were, etc., until they came up to speed. (We were all art students at the time.) I can’t count the number out of towners I helped navigate the NYC subway system, deciphered the address they had, or led to their destination.
Are the city slickers calling the cops on the country folk for not hailing a cab right?

Feral cat waterboarder