Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Deputies Showed Up!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7667 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9888

Default Deputies Showed Up!!!

My next door neighbor asked if he could come over to our range to try out his new AR build the other day so naturally I said yes! Now we normally do not shoot any centerfire rifles or magnum pistols here at the house but under the circumstances I was willing to accommodate him.

He got home at 4:00 and the range was hot when he came over. We shot maybe 150 rounds before the cops showed up. They were totally OK once they saw that we had substantial backstops and all. They just asked that we call in to dispatch in the future before shooting. Nice deputies. One of them was even interested in one of my Jeeps.

Normally we don't shoot that late in the afternoon and we have never had a problem before.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hey Viking you are in a "Heap Of trouble Boy".

sheriff.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

I think that would go over like a fart in an iron lung around here.

We do a lot of shooting on my land, rifle & handgun. My neighbors do too on theirs. The only time I've had a LEO show up is when my deputy buddy comes out to shoot with us.

I know you are in Ca. and all, but to me It sounds like you have to call in to get permission to shoot on your own land. No way that is going to work here. What are they gonna do if you don't call in?? I mean you are either legal or not, right??

I know they would like a courtesy heads-up when you shoot so they can tell the person who is complaining not to worry about it, but I would have to see the state law that requires me to comply. They are asking for too much in my opinion.

Guess I'm too old and crotchety to change my ways. I would have a real problem with that call in thing! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1650 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

The "call in to dispatch" thing is almost certainly just an FYI to the dispatcher, not a request for permission. A courtesy FYI goes a long way to bring the LEOs over to your side, especially if you do it consistently. There's probably not a state law requiring compliance, it's more of a Golden Rule.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
The "call in to dispatch" thing is almost certainly just an FYI to the dispatcher, not a request for permission. A courtesy FYI goes a long way to bring the LEOs over to your side, especially if you do it consistently. There's probably not a state law requiring compliance, it's more of a Golden Rule.
It was a request, not an order. They asked if we would do this so the next time we were shooting they would not have to respond in person if they got any calls. They were not implying that we "ask permission". We are not required to call in, but I imagine if they have to show up many more times they will get less and less friendly with each visit. I see no reason to be confrontational.

There is an area (also rural) near here where the neighbors passed a ballot initiative that created a no-shooting zone in that area. I believe this was done in the 1970's and it is still in place today.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

as long as they were cool and down to earth about it (and it sounds like they were) then I commend them for it. I don't mind helping my local LEO's out whenever I can, until one of them gets an attitude about it

Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

I would hope a PD & LEOs would respond to a 911 call stating shots fired. I imagine they were relieved to find out it was just you & your friends at your firing range.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Liked 2340 Times on 1521 Posts

Have them talk to whoever complained and tell them the situation, that your legal, and there is no reason for a call.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Have them talk to whoever complained and tell them the situation, that your legal, and there is no reason for a call.
The deputies did not indicate if they were going to talk to whomever called, but they did say that if I called in when I planned on shooting they would inform any neighbors that I am legal if they call in.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebitt300 View Post
Last weekend, Arpaio's deputies showed up at the homes of low- and mid-level county and court employees to interrogate them
WTHeck? Is this like an awkward robo-troll attempt or what?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.