A Day in the Desert with JoDaPlumbr
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A Day in the Desert with JoDaPlumbr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default A Day in the Desert with JoDaPlumbr

Dragged Jo and my shooting partner out to the dez yesterday to have some fun. It was cold and breezy, with the morning starting off at about 27f and a 14mph wind. Chilly willy, fo sho. On the drive in we crunched through several frozen pools of water with ice about 1" thick, leftover from our rains last week. The snow on the mountains around us was beautiful, and snow level was down to about 3,000 feet, just a little higher than where we were. I'll let Jo jump in and post some pics he took, as I did not take any.

We started off by setting up some steel plates at 450, 800 and 900 because Jo wanted to shoot both his new AR in 6.8 (for the first time) and his Husqvarna 7mmMag. We mounted a Super Sniper 10x in a LaRue mount on his 6.8 and in about 6 shots had Jo on the 450 plate with every hit. It impressed the hell out of me. I have been planning to do a .300AACBlackout upper, but now the 6.8 is calling my name. Hmm..... No pics of the 6.8 because Jo is planning to reconfigure it before it makes it's FTF debut.

Jo started the Husqy 7mm at 900 yards, and it is such a great long range round. Even with a solid full value crosswind it was only about 2 feet left at 900 yards. The scope it wears is an old Redfield WideField (2-7?) which made range estimation and holdover more of a "best guess" situation, but we had a couple of hits on the plate in just a few rounds. I LOVE shooting that rifle, and managed to get my 3rd shot on the 900 plate. Jo's rifle makes long range shooting seem pretty easy. Once we get him set up with a good scope it will be awesome!

When we were done on the hill (It was too cold and windy up there), we drove to the base of the hill and did some spot and stalk. Jo carried his KelTec .223 topped with a cool little Bushnell red dot, and my partner and I carried M4's with Aimpoints. Jo's KelTec sounds like a cross between an AK and a Mini 14 when it fires, which is very distinct. And that little KelTec is really accurate. We walked up on the plates, starting from about 300 yards out, and as the plates would come into view through the bushes we would each take 3 shots. We worked our way out to the far plate, and then back again. Jo also had his M&P .45 and there were two misfires using WWB. One of them eventually went off, but the other one was DOA even after 4 or 5 strikes. Jo is a seriously great shot with his little KelTec.

When we finished the spot and stalk, we set up a series of 5 target stands, plus our three plates, and ran some drills with carbines.

The paper targets were set up from about 20-40 yards, and the plates were spread out from about 100-150 yards.

Various carbine drills, like Mozambiques on the paper targets with single hits on the plates, or controlled pairs on the targets followed by mandatory reloads and single hits on the plates were a lot of fun. Then we mixed in some transitions from carbines to pistols. Jo had asked me to bring my Saiga 7.62x39 to try it out but he was underwhelmed by it.

And I gotta say that after the sun went behind the hill and it got cold, Jo was drawing his pistol from the cargo pocket of his pants and reloading from the other cargo pocket, because his coat was too long to allow easy use of his holster and mag pouch. Watching Jo turn in 11 second El Presidentes from his cargo pockets was awesome! We did some shooting while advancing towards, and retreating away from the targets, and had a blast. We are gonna set Jo up with some decent slings so he can do his transitions better, and head back out. I think Jo had fun.

I was shooting a G22 with a Harrts Recoil Reducer and 18lb spring and Federal 135gr +P JHP ammo, but do not advocate light fast .40's. These shot great, though. Kinda "snappy" but not bad at all. And they printed very well. I decided to shoot with gloves all day, which I usually never do. I used a pair of relatively thin pigskin gloves and the only way they slowed me down was in changing mags on my Glock. I'll keep practicing shooting with the gloves, and should get used to them easily.

We ended up shooting until the sun went down, then loaded up and drove home. Quick stop at Carl's Jr. for some delicious gourmet food , and then a couple of hours of gun talk in the truck on the drive home. Made it home around 2030.

I can't imagine a better way to celebrate New Years Eve than to go burn a bunch of powder with friends.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great writeup, must have been a really good day.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Great writeup, must have been a really good day.
It really was. I'm looking forward to getting back out in a couple of weeks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hey Jo!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hey Jo,
You guys need to come out to my part of the desert to cap off a few rounds. Be glad to have you guys up here. Your driving distance will be slightly less, I think.

Jim...................

Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yes the plumbr had a great time. Very nice of Rocks and his buddy to let me tag along. This was very different from any day of shooting I’ve done before. I’ve never tried to send a bullet 900 yards. Having to aim 25 feet high… Then getting the elevation gesstimated only to have the cross wind keep pushing me left. Still a lot of fun and really had the most enjoyment out of my 7mm mag. ever. Like Rocks said I need better glass. The thirty to forty year old scope has no mil. dots so long range is tough. And the 2 inch eye relief is very close for the power of the rifle. The half moon cut from the scope kiss I got yesterday is proof to that.

The new 6.8 shot great. Very happy with the choice of rounds. I tried an alternative grip stock configuration to be more like a standard rifle. Works great on a bench and is even very comfortable standing and shooting free hand. But from prone the stock is too low to hold firm in the shoulder. Thankfully the 6.8 is no where near the kick of the 7mm mag. Or I would have a few divots missing from my forehead.

It was quite the lesson running drills with these guys. And Rocks is right I need a sling a couple new scopes and a host of other tactical gear to go running with the big dogs. Can’t wait to do it again.

100_2190.jpg   100_2191.jpg   100_2200.jpg   100_2202.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #7

The first picture above was the hill we shot from taken from where the targets were placed. a hell of a long wat away. Glad I didn't have to hike up tha hill with the rifles and ammo.

Agreat sunset out in the desert on the last day of 2010.

100_2220.jpg   100_2221.jpg   100_2231.jpg   100_2240.jpg   100_2241.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #8

Oh yeah the new AR in 6.8 spc . And the shooting mat / case Santa brought.

And the old Husky 7mm magnum.

100_2250.jpg   100_2270.jpg   100_0759.jpg  

Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #9

Seeing the tire tracks above reminds me of something. The ground soaked up so much water in our recent rains that it was "spongy". There were places where our feet would sink in several inches as we walked. In the summer the same ground is usually as hard as concrete. Walking around was pretty cool.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Hey Jo,
You guys need to come out to my part of the desert to cap off a few rounds. Be glad to have you guys up here. Your driving distance will be slightly less, I think.

Jim...................
Where are you in relation to Barstow?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI