Dangers at the range - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Dangers at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
jyo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I watched one of the "Prepper" shows and this guy is trying to teach a cute young thing how to shoot with a 12 Gauge (!) The results were not pretty---she fires a shot and then says "I hate guns!" after the thing kicks the snot out of her (her guy didn't even show here how to mount the gun properly)---another person turned off to firearms by stupid shooters. The ONLY acceptable gun to start people off (young and old) is a 22 rifle and somebody who really knows what they're doing giving instructions!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1848 Times on 1266 Posts
Likes Given: 675

A 20 ga is OK with light loads for teaching newbies. But a 12 ga is a bit much for anyone but an adult male. Lots of people want to start newbies with a 410. A 410 is very difficult to hit anything with. The shot doesn't really spread that much from a 410. The 410 tends to make a shot string.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A 12 gauge is definately not the gun of choice for beginners. However, the 22 is not always the best choice either. I do agree that the 22 works very well for most novices, but just like any other new sport the place where you start someone should always be at a level that will still be a challenge. Kind of like the first time I ever went skiing. I refused to do the bunny slopes. And by the end of the first day I had already been down a Black Diamond. Each person will have their own starting line, but starting with a 12 gauge there are few people who would enjoy it out of the gate.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I joined a shooting club once that was located near the southern tip of Texas.

The club president took my money and then gave me a key. He had a warning about the range, which had thick mesquite on two sides.

"If you're ever down here alone", he said, "be sure to take a gun with you when you go downrange, to change or look at your targets."

"Folks will pop out of the brush and shoot you with your own rifle while you are down there, and then sell your stuff for drug money."

I guess that was the most dangerous range that I ever shot at and yes, I did carry a gun with me while checking or replacing my targets, at that range. Nine times out of ten, I was the only one shooting there as I tend to shoot most often on weekdays, early in the morning.

When I moved to a more civilized part of the state, I had to give up the habit. - It would have been out of place, and I would have been embarrassed if somebody came in and saw me down there at the target butts with a rifle.

The standard drill that I grew up with was that your gun sits on the bench - open, unloaded, and untouched - while any kind of downrange activity is going on.

I feel a lot more comfortable with that, and was glad to get back to it.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-17-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #35

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
A 12 gauge is definately not the gun of choice for beginners. However, the 22 is not always the best choice either. I do agree that the 22 works very well for most novices, but just like any other new sport the place where you start someone should always be at a level that will still be a challenge. Kind of like the first time I ever went skiing. I refused to do the bunny slopes. And by the end of the first day I had already been down a Black Diamond. Each person will have their own starting line, but starting with a 12 gauge there are few people who would enjoy it out of the gate.
Always start newbies with 22 or possibly air soft - - - you will start the muscle memory needed to become the best they can be - - - some people will progress up very quickly and some will take a while - - - I am glad you were not hauled off the black diamond in a Hurst and you might stay lucky but well trained is better in the long run.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #36

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A 20 ga is OK with light loads for teaching newbies. But a 12 ga is a bit much for anyone but an adult male. Lots of people want to start newbies with a 410. A 410 is very difficult to hit anything with. The shot doesn't really spread that much from a 410. The 410 tends to make a shot string.
IDK, A "big girl", so to speak, should be fine with an auto. Those don't kick nearly so bad as my pump. I could shoot our M3500 all day, but my 870 let's me know about it after just two boxes. Being prepared is the key... seeing other people shoot it, being told to hang on tight, and most importantly, using proper technique.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667

Always start newbies with 22 or possibly air soft - - - you will start the muscle memory needed to become the best they can be - - - some people will progress up very quickly and some will take a while - - - I am glad you were not hauled off the black diamond in a Hurst and you might stay lucky but well trained is better in the long run.
Sorry but I really have to disagree. I started with a .410. Within a few months I was on a 20 gauge. By the end of the year I was hauling a .243 up a tree. I didn't fire a 22 until I bought my own at 21. The only handgun I fired in my youth was a S&W model 19 .357 with the 6 inch barrel. My dad didnt have a 22 back then and he wasn't gonna buy one to use for a month and shelve it. I can't blame him, we had no use for one back then. We only hunted whitetail and quail back then. And any yard pests got the full brunt of his .270 if need be. I think learning that way creates a greater respect for the power you hold in your hands, whereas the uneducated would think a 22 represents firearms in general and it is rather meager in power to a novice. Then again, I can typically tell how a person will react based on typical factors. I've brought a few antigunners over to the progun side over the years and some of them take to it like a duck to water. Others I've seen should never own a gun. To each his own though.

Also, as to the skiing, I was trying to impress a girl, so failure wasn't an option. Looking back, I wouldn't do it like that again.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr