Dangers at the range - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Dangers at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex
Stupid people and guns are pretty dangerous. But being alive is dangerous too so...
????????!???!!!

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

I'm fortunate to have my own range. I don't have the patience or the temperment to deal with knuckleheads. I also don't like tinhorn range commandos who think they know-it-all giving me the hairy eyeball.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

So you think I'm a tin horn range commando?

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1615 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Unless you are a range/safety officer not on duty that given day you have no business scolding other shooters unless they are a direct threat to you. When I see unsafe behavior I report it to the range/safety officer on duty. If I do not see anyone trying help the offender within a few minutes I just go home or wait for the safety hazard to leave.

I have seen people make a big deal of nothing quite often. I got 3 violations and disqualified in a IDPA match over the way I was holstering my gun in a 15 degree cant holster. The holster points the barrel down range. It is virtually impossible to point the gun back into the crowd holstering the gun in that type holster. I asked the SO and the owner of the range to demonstrate how I was getting these infractions. They called me a sore loser but they are the losers because I would quit shooting before I returned to that range.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

orangello Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #25

Liked 2042 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Unless you are a range/safety officer not on duty that given day you have no business scolding other shooters unless they are a direct threat to you. When I see unsafe behavior I report it to the range/safety officer on duty. If I do not see anyone trying help the offender within a few minutes I just go home or wait for the safety hazard to leave.

I have seen people make a big deal of nothing quite often. I got 3 violations and disqualified in a IDPA match over the way I was holstering my gun in a 15 degree cant holster. The holster points the barrel down range. It is virtually impossible to point the gun back into the crowd holstering the gun in that type holster. I asked the SO and the owner of the range to demonstrate how I was getting these infractions. They called me a sore loser but they are the losers because I would quit shooting before I returned to that range.
agreed. there needs to be order at place where people are locked and loaded

Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1214 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Also agree with this !!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I'm fortunate to have my own range. I don't have the patience or the temperment to deal with knuckleheads. I also don't like tinhorn range commandos who think they know-it-all giving me the hairy eyeball.
I don't have my own range, but i shoot with friends or family on their private property. If somebody wants to empty their own targets immediately before shooting them, i leave them to it; I am shooting to have fun and will go elsewhere if my fun is endangered by nerve-racking behavior.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'm a member at a local indoor range here in GA. I have no problem scolding the hell out of the idiots who shoot around me. Most recently, while in a pistol lane, suddenly the guy next to me is blasting away with his .243........I'm like dude, this is a pistol lane, you can't shoot a rifle in here. His oh so wonderful response was they told me we can shoot rifles here. Yea dumbass, in the rifle lanes down at the end. Ballistic dividers don't even make me feel better, I see all the holes in the roof, chips in the floor and scars on the walls. My 11 year old daughter has more common sense than half of these idiots shooting these days. I won't even start on the morons who shoot pistols in the rifle lanes, right next to the sign that says DO NOT shoot handguns or any non rifle caliber in this lane or the lead will come back at you! I even volunteer quite often to take newbs to the range just to make sure they aren't a danger to anyone else. If you just leave, then you're leaving the door open for some other poor bastard to get shot.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #29

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I thought the title of the thread was derringers at the range. Point taken.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #30

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Hairy Eyeball! That's Hillarious!

Years ago "before joining my private gun club", I used an outdoor range closer to home.

1 guy ran it and seemed to think he could RSO 4 different firing lines with a spotting scope from his sign in booth...

I wound up "playing" RSO more often than not and the situation was not good... Actually intimidated more that a few guys off that range for doing things like clearing a pistol by pointing it sideways, down the line at me or my son... running down range durring a "lull" in firing rather than calling the range cold... Ect... Ect...

About a year before I quit using ^^THIS^^ place they hired a young RSO, probably 26 or so... Tattoos from his fingertips to his ears... ^^THIS^^ guy liked to walk over to the pistol range when he got boored, step up to an open lane, and empty his GLOCK into the berm as fast as he could pull the trigger... Then look around to see who was impressed...

Caught him him giving me the "Hairy Eyeball" the first time I encountered him but by my 3 mag he must have decided I knew what I was doing and got real nice. Not a bad kid... Just a product of the U Tube generation without the benefit of learning humility the way most of us did when handling guns with our fathers and grandfathers.

Thank god I discovered Clark Rifles. Private club with 700 members wo all volunteer time as RSO and are trained to do so. It's the only range I've been on when I can actually focus on shooting without worry.