Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Dangers at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

When the yahoos show up, I leave.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #12

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Tracer Rounds Burn Indoor Dallas Gun Range to the Ground (VIDEO)

2/25/13 | by Chris Callahan
97 1315

Video | News | Weather | Sports
Sun Feb 24 13:31:52 PST 2013

Four-alarm fire engulfs Dallas shooting range

Security was heavy around the smoldering remains of the DFW Gun Range Sunday evening as bulldozers began knocking down what was left of a building that still had scores of handguns and assault weapons among the debris. view full article

We all know there’s an ammo shortage, but that is no reason to use tracer rounds indoors…

DFW Gun Range burned to the ground in a 4 alarm blaze Sunday evening after one of their customers made the mistake of using the unauthorized ammunition at the indoor range. There were between 50 and 100 people in the range during the time of the fire. No one was seriously injured but one fireman had to be treated for smoke inhalation. No charges will be filed against the customer who started the fire.

- See more at: http://www.guns.com/2013/02/25/tracer-rounds-burn-indoor-dallas-gun-range-to-the-ground-video/#sthash.tKGjwph0.dpuf

Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
Last Sat. at a North Georgia public range a 12 year old girl supervised by her father, shot a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun and the harsh recoil caused her to drop the gun, as it hit the ground the other barrel fired hitting a lady and her spouse in the legs. They were taken to the hospital and expected to make a full recovery.
Several years ago, I was at the same range when a father who was X Army Captain was teaching his ten year old son to shoot a M1 Garand, when the son chambered the first round, for lack of confidence he started to hand the gun back to his father and in the process the gun discharged kicking up gravel about 2 foot from my dad and me.
After giving these instances a lot of thought, I finally concluded that all unsupervised ranges can be dangerous.
What can you do about it? Really nothing, if you feel you are in danger, you leave without saying a word. Thats my take, what's yours?
Anywhere that people are using guns can be dangerous. No matter if there is a range officer or not. Bullets mope much faster than some guy can say don't do that. I don't go to many ranges these days as I can shoot at home. I still do go to a p[ublic range that has no one around to watch things. Mostly for all the free brass but I think it's illegal to go to a range and not shoot something. But as with any other place I keep a very close eye on everything that is going on. And if I seen some 10 year old with a M1 supervised or not I"m out or there. Because that's a lot of gun for a kid. I call into question the supervisors ability to see things correctly. That's a good but of recoil to hand a child. and ANY firearm that makes a kid obviously nervous is a problem. Was that kid not taught to not have a finger on the trigger when not getting ready to fire???? That Capt was not a proper supervisor. Or the kid would not have had a finger in there to allow a weapon to fire while trying to and it off.

I'll shoot about anywhere supervised or not. But I'll make damn sure I account for every person there and what's going on. I get the 1st hint of ass-hattery and I'm pulling as Hank Snow and Movin' On. Let Darwin sort out the rest.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #14

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

12 year does equal 12 gauge

Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox View Post
12 year does equal 12 gauge
Did you mean to add a "not" in there?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #16

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Did you mean to add a "not" in there?
Whoops.... thanks trip.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8052 Times on 4647 Posts
Likes Given: 10393

I have no problem filling in for the RSO and do so often. They know me well at the range and if I call attention to a safety violation the RSO acts on it. It has been years since I have left the range due to unsafe behavior on the part of another patron.

On the double-barrel douchebag, when I am training somebody new to shooting, or new to a particular heavy recoil gun, I load one round at a time. Period. Once that round is downrange we will decide together if they want to continue. Same deal with the next few shots. One round at a time in the gun. No exceptions. For new shooters I do this even with .22 shorts. Every gun is a single shot for the first few rounds until they are familiar with recoil and basic gun handling(booger hook off the bangswitch etc.

On the father with the Garand and the boy? My boys started shooting Garands at that young age. My hands were shadowing theirs for every move while they are holding the gun, ready to take control of it in an instant. One round at a time, same deal. Basic gun safety must be adhered to at all times before they are allowed to have more than one round at a time and before they are allowed to handle it without my hands shadowing theirs. Even then I am always within reach and able to take control instantly. Range rule is that all minors must be within arms reach at all times on the firing line.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
rjd3282 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
One round at a time in the gun. No exceptions. For new shooters I do this even with .22 shorts. Every gun is a single shot for the first few rounds until they are familiar with recoil and basic gun handling(booger hook off the bangswitch etc.
Amen. The simplest rules are the most effective.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I was at the range at Bass Pro Shop yesterday. While I was doing my thing, I couldn't help but notice the difficulties a senior (ahem) person next to me was having. He had a .38 special and was trying to unload the empties with his fingernails! Now, I don't normally butt in unless there is some immediate, dangerous safety thing going on, I just leave. However, I took a chance and inquired if I could be of any help. If he had not been willing to accept the help, I, again would have moved on. But, in fact, he was obviously grateful for the offer.

It turns out that he did have a CHP and was trying to practice for a renewal course. He had only fired the gun at his initial course about 4 years previously.

I first showed him the manual of arms on the revolver - how to hold it during loading and emptying. As you might have noticed from earlier in the post, he did not even know how to use the ejector rod and used his fingernails to remove empties.

Then I gave him a couple of tips on aiming and shooting the pistol including not putting any part of his hand near the cylinder/barrel gap when shooting

Then I briefed him on the four rules and suggested strongly that he should attend a basic firearms course, of which there are several offered around here.

I told him I was not a certified instructor, and that these basic tips should have been explained to him either at the LGS where he bought the revolver or during the CHP class that he took.

Believe me, I was not trying to be a range commando, but this gentleman was obviously looking for some guidance and I wanted to help him be better informed. He was extremely grateful.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #20

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Stupid people and guns are pretty dangerous. But being alive is dangerous too so...

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.