Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Craziness at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Craziness at the range

OK, so I go to the range today so that my wife can shoot the new XD(M) 4.5" and so that I can rent the XD(M) 5.25" (which is currently only available to rent - more on that later).

So, the majority of this is second-hand, as my wife saw it all and I saw none of it. We were sharing a lane and when she was shooting I was focusing on her, but when I was shooting, she was focusing on those around us.

It started when we were getting ready to go in. A group of 3 really appeared to not know the muzzle from the trigger. The gun shop employee made one of the group prove that he knew his way around a gun by making him do some basic stuff. He assigns them lane 14. We were up next, and when he was assigning us a lane, I said "as far away from lane 14 as possible". We had a little chuckle about it, but little did I know those were the safest people on the range that we could have been around that day.

So, after we leave, my wife lets me know about all that was going on around me. (I suggested that next time she tell me of any unsafe behavior while it's going on and not after the fact... but nonetheless)...

In the lane right next to us is what appears to be a father and adult son sharing a lane. The father was having failure to fire and failure to ejects and other "jams". What does he do? He turns his muzzle 90 degrees to the left (now pointing at me on the other side of the barrier) and stares at his gun inquizitively.

At one point he has his gun upside-down and is shaking it violently to get his double feeds out. He's sweeping me and my wife, who's standing 5 feet behind me.

Cue dummy number 2 who's working with an instructor. Here's another guy who points his muzzle 90 degrees to the left, but this idiot did it with his finger in the trigger. His instructor yells at him to get his finger out of the trigger and only to have it in there when he is on target. At some point, the instruction portion is over and genius number 2 walks back to his lane with is finger firmly on the trigger. (I guess he didn't learn the lesson!)

Made it out alive, but brings up a point that I made to my Basic Handgun instructor the 1st time I shot. I said that I recognize that at some level, I'm putting myself in danger by even being in here!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Makes you want to have a private range all to yourself!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Wow your lucky my family has a private range and only open to those who have a key to get past the gate

Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WOW that's all I have to say! I think I might have slapped the stupid off of both of them.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

I'd love a private or "club" range!

I am giving my wife a pass on not letting me know what was going on -- this time.

But the reality of the situation is that I was not situationally aware (and I pride myself on being situationally aware!)

So, it comes down to what I should have done differently and how my actions should change in the future.

Changes that I'm implementing for myself:

• Don't assume that the least experienced are the most dangerous
  • Assume everyone is a danger until they prove otherwise
  • When shooting with someone else, don't over-focus on them
  • As much as possible, scan the lanes for unsafe behavior
  • Report unsafe people
  • Leave if necessary!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #7

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Reduce your risk by NOT shooting on the weekend!

It's when the crazies come out!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I could say that has never happened to me, but unfortunately it hap-pens a lot.

Some folks at the range don't mind sweeping others around them.

I went to the range yesterday morning. Only thing that happened was a guy in the next lane whining and crying about, "all these guys with their black rifles slinging brass everywhere."

He was shooting a .44 revlover, 30-06 bolt action, and a black powder.

At one point I acted like I was choking, "all these guys with their black powder's fogging up my scope and choking us out!"

He quit complaining after that.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Most people are right handed. When at public indoor ranges i try to shoot from the right most lanes. Indoor tend to have walls seperating shooters and i cant see what they are doing. Reason for this is most nubs if they are going to nd turn the gun to the left to see whats going on. Being on the right of potential idiots is statistically safer.

I also limit the time im on the line to actual shooting. I will step back to load mags.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Reduce your risk by NOT shooting on the weekend!

It's when the crazies come out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Most people are right handed. When at public indoor ranges i try to shoot from the right most lanes. Indoor tend to have walls seperating shooters and i cant see what they are doing. Reason for this is most nubs if they are going to nd turn the gun to the left to see whats going on. Being on the right of potential idiots is statistically safer.

I also limit the time im on the line to actual shooting. I will step back to load mags.
Good suggestions! Although not shooting on the weekend is tough, especially if I'm going with the wifey!

Changes that I'm implementing for myself:
  • Don't assume that the least experienced are the most dangerous
  • Assume everyone is a danger until they prove otherwise
  • When shooting with someone else, don't over-focus on them
  • As much as possible, scan the lanes for unsafe behavior
  • Report unsafe people
  • Leave if necessary!
  • Minimize weekend shooting
  • Insist on (if assigned) or pick a right-most lane