Colt Combat Commander xse
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Colt Combat Commander xse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default Colt Combat Commander xse

I purchased a Colt combat commander xse and picked the pistol up 9/3/13
img_1739.jpg

img_1740.jpg

COLT COMBAT COMMANDER XSE SPECS.

The combat commander is an all stainless steel frame and receiver model that comes from the factory with the new colt style throated 4.25 inch barrel,aluminum 3 hole trigger w/travel stop adj.,enhanced hammer,front and rear receiver serrations,extended ambidextrous safety lock,lowered and flared ejection port,colt upswept beavertail saftey grip w/palm swell,full length guide rod,Novak sights,rosewood double diamond grips,and enhanced cut under the trigger guard allows for a higher secure grip on the pistol. The pistol also came with 2 colt 8 round magazines and weighs in at 33.5 oz.

RANGE REPORT

Since picking up the pistol 9 days ago I have had it out 3 evenings shooting.

The first night shooting 10 and 15 yds,I only had enough time to shoot 75 rounds through the pistol. I shot a variety of ammunition JHP,round ball,and semi wad cutters,everything I ran through the pistol functioned flawlessly,and the pistol really showed signs of excellent accuracy.

The second evening out I had more time,I was able to shoot a 100 rounds through the pistol,before the mosquitos,horseflies,and 97 degree humid weather drove me back inside.
My first 2 magazines at 15 yds were pretty good,again the pistol showing good accuracy potential. Half way through the second box of ammo the pistol started feeling different? The magazines started sliding in the pistol smoother,the mag release began to operate easier(smoother),the hammer cocked back easier(smoother),the excellent trigger out of the box just became smoother,it seemed like the pistol began breaking in.

img_1736.jpg

Tonight mild temps and not as many bugs
The pistol again shot flawlessly,I ran a 100 rounds through the Colt 1911 before the sun began setting. I shot from 10,15,and 20 yds the pistol is an absolute delight to shoot,it seems to be breaking in nicely,it has been very accurate and completely reliable without a single ftf or fte.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I like everything that Colt offered in the Combat Commander xse package,it seems like a very reliable and accurate pistol that should give many years of enjoyable shooting and service.
The only thing i'm slightly on the fence about this pistol is the extended ambidextrous safety,I have large-xlarge const. hands and the extended safety seems to ride on my trigger finger knuckle in the fire position? It could be i'm getting a higher grip from the under cut trigger guard?

Would I suggest this pistol to a friend or purchase the same pistol again? In a heartbeat!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Now you know that when someone asks what 1911 should I get the answer is colt.

Nice shooting congrats on a very fine choice.

I've ordered a stainless non am i non extended colt safety off midwayusa. Currently backordered begning of octoberish

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Nice range report Great pistol mine has become my favorite ccw.Enjoy the new member and may you're ammo box be always full.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Now you know that when someone asks what 1911 should I get the answer is colt.

Nice shooting congrats on a very fine choice.

I've ordered a stainless non am i non extended colt safety off midwayusa. Currently backordered begning of octoberish
Jon you know my answer on which 1911 to own? After owning this pistol for 10 days now

Thank you Jon,I couldn't be happier with the 1911 choice I made.

I think the non extended ambi safety is a excellent choice,for larger hands the extended ambi safety seems a bit close. If I had a choice, I would've chose the non extended ambi safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored View Post
Nice range report Great pistol mine has become my favorite ccw.Enjoy the new member and may you're ammo box be always full.
Thank you,I sure hope I can keep the ammo box full for the 1911
Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default A quick question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
I purchased a Colt combat commander xse and picked the pistol up 9/3/13

FINAL THOUGHTS
I like everything that Colt offered in the Combat Commander xse package,it seems like a very reliable and accurate pistol that should give many years of enjoyable shooting and service.

Would like to ask your advice. Assuming you've owned or shot other Colt 1911's before, how would you compare this gun to other Colts, especially the Gold Cup series?

I was looking at the target you posted for 10 shots - were those typical for all the hundreds of shots you did that day, or was this one of the better ones?

What I'd like to ask you was what the CEP was for at least 50 of the shots at 15 yards, but since hardly anyone is posting CEP information, maybe I can just ask you what the "grouping diameter" might be for 25 or more shots at that distance. I'll post one of the links I found to CEP.... it seems to be a very good way to condense all the shooting information about a gun/ammo/range into a single number.

(http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/accuracy/accuracy.html)

Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

First 100 rounds down the pipe of my Colt Government 38 Super, I may need to drift the rear sight to the right a tad.

image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post
Would like to ask your advice. Assuming you've owned or shot other Colt 1911's before, how would you compare this gun to other Colts, especially the Gold Cup series?

I was looking at the target you posted for 10 shots - were those typical for all the hundreds of shots you did that day, or was this one of the better ones?

What I'd like to ask you was what the CEP was for at least 50 of the shots at 15 yards, but since hardly anyone is posting CEP information, maybe I can just ask you what the "grouping diameter" might be for 25 or more shots at that distance. I'll post one of the links I found to CEP.... it seems to be a very good way to condense all the shooting information about a gun/ammo/range into a single number.

(http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/accuracy/accuracy.html)
you're getting much too technical for most of us here with all that!

most of us just shoot and practice to increase our accuracy. we all have good days shooting and get really great groups and we all have bad days and get groups that look more like shotgun patterning!

truth be told, most firearms are more accurate than the people who own them. and you also have to consider the person doing the shooting is much bigger factor in accurate shooting than the firearm will ever be.

most people who shoot pistols for accuracy are looking for real world accuracy. what they can expect in SD type scenarios or competition shooting. sometimes a change in pistol or platform is needed here. just because the pistol is accurate, doesn't always mean that it will be accurately shot by that person.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
you're getting much too technical for most of us here with all that!

most of us just shoot and practice to increase our accuracy. we all have good days shooting and get really great groups and we all have bad days and get groups that look more like shotgun patterning!

truth be told, most firearms are more accurate than the people who own them. and you also have to consider the person doing the shooting is much bigger factor in accurate shooting than the firearm will ever be.

most people who shoot pistols for accuracy are looking for real world accuracy. what they can expect in SD type scenarios or competition shooting. sometimes a change in pistol or platform is needed here. just because the pistol is accurate, doesn't always mean that it will be accurately shot by that person.
Ayup, ^ what Axxe said.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

Liked 308 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I have the prev version of Commander, back of rear sight a little different (step in slide cut for larger rear sight face).

Came with a 2.5# trigger new. Hated the plastic mainspring housing (same as what broke on my dad's SS GC). Swapped in a Pachmayr arched and yanked the rosewood grips and went with Hogue slabs. 10K rounds and it's been flawless, and at 50 ft will chew the X out.

Buddy HATES Colts, but said if that one ever came up for sale he'd buy it in a heartbeat (but it will never be for sale, the kids get my Ponies when I die).

My dad's GC was a turd, broke stuff constantly (non dovetailed front sight), the Series 80 firing pin stuck fwd, other small parts. He shoots a lot though.

Hell, his stainless Python, the stainless GC, a TC Contender, his Mitchell HS and his Kart slided Colt 1911............all went down in a week or 2 week period.

All were fixed soon enough.

But that was rather comical.

He dumped the GC eventually, went with a Sig 220 and 1911, both stainless.

As far as my Commander goes.............it's been fantastic. I do dislike the funky rear sight cut, and am not a fan of 3 dot sights. Would like to have it cut for a Bomar..............but the damn thing shoots so good, and has since day 1............I'm unable to part with it, even if temporarily. I trust that gun like no other.

Last edited by Hookeye; 05-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Liked 308 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hmmmmmm, pops has a Ransom Rest.........might be a fun little test this summer.