Cold, Wet and Windy...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Cold, Wet and Windy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Cold, Wet and Windy...

Made a short trip to the rifle range today with Jo Da Plumbr to test fire my friend's M1A Bush after making some repairs on it.

Replaced the hammer which was binding on the disconnector, and replaced the broken hammer spring housing.

Conditions were POURING rain and HOWLING winds, full value. Even though the shooting benches are covered, everything got soaked. Oh, well.

The good news is that the Bush model functioned perfectly, and I dialed it in at 200 on steel. I tried it with some old IMI Samson 150grSP, Federal 150grSP (Wally World), and some South African 150gr ball.

Here are a couple of pics of the Bush model on the bench, along with some water.

Here is one of the range and benches.

And one of our very own Jo Da Plumbr drilling stuff with his 6.8.

We got his new Super Sniper dialed in out to 400, and next time out we will lapp his LaRue mount which is just a bit out of alignment. Too cold and windy to lapp today, even though we had the stuff along to do it. We even had a chance to try the adjustments on his scope and they were spot on.

And now I have dis-assembled rifles, and wet gear laying out all over the house drying, to the utter joy of my wife.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey, you sound like you're whining. Some of us didn't get to go to the range today.

Grey days, rain, and cold only makes the next time at the range a better one. Thanks for the pic's.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Man I wish we had a range like that around here...rain or not.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I like that picture of me. It was so windy I got the back to front comb over of my bald spot.

Funny story. M14 said aim for the square metal plate at three hundred yards as a point for scoping in the new rifle. I line it up and send one. Way off; we adjust the scope. Closer. We adjust again. After four or so adjustments I'm hitting every time. Thing is I was aiming at a square plate at four hundred yards and hitting the plate at three hundred. But I hit it every time. We finnaly got the deal right and the scope is putting the round right on for forty degrees 100% humidity and a 20mph cross wind.
Thanks again for all your help this morning.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

No whining from me. Ha. I love shooting in the rain.

And we are fortunate to have a few nice rifle ranges close by. This one goes to 600.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It is a nice looking range and it looks like there is a lot of room. Does it ever get crowded?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

And we did get to watch one guy perform a gravity test on his tricked out, uber cool Rem 700. It slid off the concrete bench during a cease fire, and bounced off the concrete floor a few times. One of those "slo mo moments" that I could only watch from 50 feet away. Tough to watch, especially for the guy who owned it and had to watch his buddy let it slide off the bench.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I like that picture of me. It was so windy I got the back to front comb over of my bald spot.

Funny story. M14 said aim for the square metal plate at three hundred yards as a point for scoping in the new rifle. I line it up and send one. Way off; we adjust the scope. Closer. We adjust again. After four or so adjustments I'm hitting every time. Thing is I was aiming at a square plate at four hundred yards and hitting the plate at three hundred. But I hit it every time. We finnaly got the deal right and the scope is putting the round right on for forty degrees 100% humidity and a 20mph cross wind.
Thanks again for all your help this morning.
That is what I was referring to when I mentioned getting to try out the adjustments on your scope. Hilarious. At least we know you have a LOT of adjustment in the scope.....

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
It is a nice looking range and it looks like there is a lot of room. Does it ever get crowded?
It is typically fairly packed. Today was too cold and wet for the average SoCal-er.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great pics!

Great looking guns too. Looks like a good time no matter what the weather.