Chilly day at the range

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Chilly day at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Chilly day at the range

Went to the range with couple of friends today. Weather was really nice, clear sky and the sun was shining, temps were around -15F. Took my Saiga and Tikka with me and my friend brought his PAR Mk3 AR-15. Add enough ammo and you get a very fun day with friends

Tikka was shooting well with my handloads and also some other ammo I grabbed from the gun safe, sub-moa @ 100yds. With the Saiga we were getting 7"-ish groups off hand at the same distance with Barnaul ammo, 4"-ish with the AR and S&B ammo. The AR was suffering some chambering issues, couldn't really figure out what it was exactly, but we suspected it was due to the cold temperature and we also noticed the buffer tube had worked itself a bit loose, could have been a lubrication issue too. It had worked without an issue before with the same mag and ammo. The new FAB Defense handguard on the Saiga made the sight picture a bit blurry because of the rail on the upper half. I'll need to figure out some better sighting options or try to widen the groove on the handguard's rail.

After three hours our fingers and toes were starting to feel the cold and we headed home. All in all a good day.

Me with the Saiga

Kasper with the Tikka

Mikko with his AR

Taken from the targets

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #2

Hi Alek, looks like a fun time! Though around here when it hits -15F the only thing I'm look'in to do is find the remote for the TV.

Thats kinda neat the way Mikko has that extra mag holder mounted on the rail. Never seen that done before.

You guys sure have a super nice place to shoot, enjoy the rest of the winter. Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

GREAT range report!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
Hi Alek, looks like a fun time! Though around here when it hits -15F the only thing I'm look'in to do is find the remote for the TV.

Thats kinda neat the way Mikko has that extra mag holder mounted on the rail. Never seen that done before.

You guys sure have a super nice place to shoot, enjoy the rest of the winter. Ken
Thanks Ken! -15F is cold for us Finns too, but not too cold to have some fun at the range The fore grip on Mikko's AR is a FAB Defense item. I had it laying around without use so I gave it to him. It's not that great really as a fore grip and inserting a fully loaded mag in it will add some weight to the front of the gun. We just used it as reference point for the support hand and Mikko's already ordered a Magpul RVG to replace that mag grip.

Last edited by AleksiR; 02-05-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Apparently, Mikko is in the witness protection program. What did he do, tick off some Russian mobster?

Looks like a fun day.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Cold but fun. Thanks fer posting.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Apparently, Mikko is in the witness protection program. What did he do, tick off some Russian mobster?

Looks like a fun day.
Not a mobster necessarily, but might tick off some russians. He's in the military so he didn't want his face on the interweb

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ultimak makes a lower profile railed gas tube for the AK that might solves you problem.

Mikko = CIA, NSA?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Ultimak makes a lower profile railed gas tube for the AK that might solves you problem.

Mikko = CIA, NSA?
Thanks, I'll look into that Ultimak gas tube, looks like a solution for my problem. Not sure if those are available here though and very few US companies ship to Finland do to export regulations.

About Mikko, well, he showed up at the range in a black SUV and said he had just spent the last three weeks in the deep forests of Eastern Finland

Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Mikko's last name wouldn't be Hayha would it?? --

http://christopher-eger.suite101.com/simo-h-yh--the-greatest-sniper--a5714

"The older I get, The better I was"