Children and The Range.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Children and The Range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Children and The Range.

Do most ranges allow children to shoot or do they have an age requirement? My reason for asking is something I read in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
I'm pretty excited to get my wife out to the ranges coming up very soon. And my eldest daughter will get to participate since she's 17 now and can responsibly learn how to shoot. My youngest daughter is 7 and will have to remain behind the red line still, but wants to be there anyway just to see.
It is a shame the girl had to wait until she was 17 to enjoy shooting and the other is going to also.

If ranges do not let kids of a younger age, say 10 and under shoot I don't think I would frequent that range.

What do your ranges do about younger children and shooting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No restrictions during open shoots if accompanied by an adult, legal guardian, responsible adult.

At the couple of competition shoots that I have attended, there were kids roaming about and taking part.

At the indoor ranges, as long as there is no more than 2 kids per adult, they are allowed to shoot.

The way it should be in my opinion.

JD

Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An absolute shame...Silly Rabbit, Guns are for Kids!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

Liked 1972 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

I mostly shoot at outdoor ranges because I reload. My son started shooting when he was really young. BB guns at about 4 or 5. He is now 11. He can shoot my 357 mag now. He is scary good too! I would not use a range that does not allow kids to shoot with supervision. However safety training is an absolute must!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

I should also note...I trust my 11 year old son with a gun more than I would trust a lot of adults I know. Age has little to do with responsibility. It is all about the ability to follow instructions and make good decisions. Some adults just never get it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I should also note...I trust my 11 year old son with a gun more than I would trust a lot of adults I know. Age has little to do with responsibility. It is all about the ability to follow instructions and make good decisions. Some adults just never get it.
Could not agree more rick my son started on the clay rane at 7 with a little .410. He was so aware of his safety training he would pull so called experienced shooters for safety breaches. He is now one of the UKs best youth shooters at 15. Whoops my ass good stye. But I am so proud of him.

Start them young but teach them well

Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
i was at the range last night, and i like to see kids of all ages and sizes there with adults or parents, however....to validate this remark....a father and son(maybe 9-11 yrs old) were in the lane next to me, the dad was shooting a ruger 77 in .243 and he had another semi auto .22 rifle as well...
i noticed early on that for a rather pesty kid, the dad was not providing a whole lot of instruction/direction if any at all.
I was pretty surprised to hear the dad ask the kid if he wanted to shoot the .243 especially after seeing the kid jump after just hearing his dad shoot it. -my thought being he's a kid, you dont ask, you tell...instruct, show direct, watch and correct right? well, at some point he let his son shoot the .22 rifle and he didnt watch so when He(being the dad) went to pick up the .22 and shoot it, it was loaded, round chambered and safety was off. Apparently the Dad wasn't so experienced himself as he just went to pick up the rifle, finger on trigger.....bang!

I'm glad it was pointing down range....

so kids are only as dangerous as the adults that (do or dont') educate them and i have noticed in more frequent visiting of the ranges that their rules often held to with as much regard as the ones posted by the pool.

i'm sure that is nothing new to most of you all.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #8

I totally agree. If you see an unsafe act commided by a kid, you can blame some idiot parent near by. My son keeps muzzles down range. He also checks a weapon to see if it is loaded or not. He has had a few jams here and there. I am always proud to see that the rifle is still pointed at the target as he asks me for help.

My Dad is someone that will turn a gun sideways to examine it during a jam. I have taught all my children to pivot their body instead of the gun. That keeps the muzzle in a safe direction. I have to babysit my Dad instead of my kids!

Old 04-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9356 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

The Anarchist-in-Training (youngest granddaughter) will be 14 on Monday, been shooting with me 4 years now, associate member of my range, has to be with an adult member, belongs to the NRA. She is more responsible with a firearm than some adult shooters. When she shoots, she is within arm's length of me on the line. When she started shooting, could not use the benchrest, so I would pick her up, and she would sit on top of the bench, shoot sitting position, with sling. Some days that she is not with me, I may see other kids at the range with Dad- If I have a kid sized gun with me, will ask DAD if son or daughter would like to shoot?

Fun part of shooting- a healthy, strapping 25 year old man can walk up to point 10 on the line, and be SOUNDLY thrashed by the 62 year old grandmother on point 20, AND the 15 yr old girl on point 1.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #10

My daughters, 15 and 9, have been shoot for 2 year now. We use an outdoor range in New Castle, IN and as long as there is an adult with the child they"re aloud to shoot. The youngest likes to shot the 30-30 and the oldest likes the 9mm handgun. We also shot on family land in the country too.
The indoor ranges in Indianapolis don't allow children. :-(

This Big Dog will fight if you rattle his cage. - Toby Keith "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue"

If the government told 'em to go down Monday morning and get a "walking license" and pay ten bucks a year for it, they'd do it. - Randy Weaver