Cbm8541 m40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Cbm8541 m40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cbm8541 m40

Chuck Mawhinney ...assistance from a distance

FGMM168, 100yds, first 3 rounds fired(confirming zero):

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It seems that I'm missing something here. That's a very nice rifle and Chuck Mawhinney is a legend, but what's the story here. Is that your rifle or are you just posting the information for us to view?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-08-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is indeed a very nice rifle but I believe that history will show he and his "young" protege' Mr. Hathcock were using off the shelf Winchester Model 70's in .30-06 when deployed well through their first tour.

Great shooting for a factory stick though, regardless of who shot it.

JD

Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Very nice. Great pics, and great shooting. Is it yours?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice looking gun, good shooting. Waiting to hear the answers to the above questions.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #6

Yes, the rifle is mine.

The link at the top of my first post gives some history to the man and the rifle. I can copy and past it but it is just as easy to follow the link and read it. Why they are being built, by who etc.

Chuck is a good dude, I usually see him at SHOT and he always has time to answer questions. The rifle is worth a look for anyone that has an interest in collecting this type of stuff. I'm not a collector but I do like shooting and this is a cool rifle.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd8541 View Post
Yes, the rifle is mine.

The link at the top of my first post gives some history to the man and the rifle. I can copy and past it but it is just as easy to follow the link and read it. Why they are being built, by who etc.

Chuck is a good dude, I usually see him at SHOT and he always has time to answer questions. The rifle is worth a look for anyone that has an interest in collecting this type of stuff. I'm not a collector but I do like shooting and this is a cool rifle.
When I saw these introduced recently I was sorely tempted to order one.

Met Sgt. Mawhinney at SHOT a couple of years ago, and Sgt. Hathcock a few years before that. Sgt. Mawhinney's M40A1 is on display at the USMC Museum.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Yes, the rifle is mine.

Thanks for the info and the pics. That's a sweet rifle indeed.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Sgt. Mawhinney's M40A1 is on display at the USMC Museum.
Yes, although I'm not sure why they call it a M40"a1". The M40a1 as I understand it, was issued, is the McMillan camo stock w/ Unertl scope.

MIL/LE
U.S. Optics
chad@usoptics.com

Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, although I'm not sure why they call it a M40"a1". The M40a1 as I understand it, was issued, is the McMillan camo stock w/ Unertl scope.
Yeah, I think you are right. The M40 was issued in Vietnam.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI