Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Can I legally shoot outdoors in Il? (Other than a range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is there a place I can legally shoot outdoors in Il? (Other than a range)

Im in the Grundy/Lasalle county area and Im wondering I can shoot pistols and clays ,not rifles, outdoors anywhere as long as its safe? The closer ranges are expensive and I thought if I was safe and clean up, obviously, would I be legal or do I have to know someone with private property somewhere? I dont really know people in the Lasalle /Grundy area who I can shoot with.If anyone has any ideas PLEASE send me a PM.Im not looking to turn anyones spot into a public gathering LOL It would just be me and Id always be clean and legal (FOID,safe) . Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eric76; 09-24-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Adding information

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Hi Eric Welcome to the FTF

Not knowing the area there is no way to tell you if it is ok to shoot there. Maybe go to a local gun shop and ask there about where folks go to shoot.

You might want to post up a hello in the introduction thread, tell us a bit about you.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
You can on your own property or on property you have permission to be on aslong as you take your drivers licence and id and proof of allowence of the lan( IF IT IS SOMEBODY ELSES) you should be good just make sure you have a backstop and you wouldnt be breaking rules and make sure nothing you dont want to get shot up is behined it for more info go to your police department
Yeah I would defintely be safe.Thats part of why Im asking .I want to have fun not create any problems.. Thanks for the help, now if I just knew someone with some land..LOL..Thanks for the welcome too guys

Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #4

Eric
Keep in mind that if you are out shooting and some LEO comes up and arrests you, saying "but the guy on the internet said it was OK" is not going to help. Get some local input as to the laws in your area. Many areas do not allow shooting even if you do own the land or have land owner permission.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here is a link for ranges.
Where To Shoot | Home

Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Eric
Keep in mind that if you are out shooting and some LEO comes up and arrests you, saying "but the guy on the internet said it was OK" is not going to help. Get some local input as to the laws in your area. Many areas do not allow shooting even if you do own the land or have land owner permission.
I thought about that very thing. I know its ok on private land(talked with sheriffs office) I just wondered about open public area I guess.I would NOT want to chance it without knowing for sure. Im sure people on here will give me useful info or tell me if they cant , I know I would... You are right I dont want to have LEO in my face with no explaination .LOL. NOT GOOD!! ..I just want to have legal safe fun!!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric76 View Post
I ! ..I just want to have legal safe fun!!

Very smart. I really have found a great source to be at the local gun shop. If the guys at the counter can't help the other patrons are usually happy to give tips on local ranges or shooting areas. One of the great things about gun guys is we seem to be very helpful to each other.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Very smart. I really have found a great source to be at the local gun shop. If the guys at the counter can't help the other patrons are usually happy to give tips on local ranges or shooting areas. One of the great things about gun guys is we seem to be very helpful to each other.
Youre right about that !! Its because we know we have to stick together.Plus shooting is always more fun with someone else. I just need to get in touch with other shooters around. I dont know many people in my area, let alone guys like us.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Eric- out of curiousity, I pulled the Google Earth image for Morris IL. Looks like South of town there is a bunch of farmland. Do what I do- find a farm, knock on the door, ASK. You get a lot of doors slammed on ya- but you also get places to shoot.

Ref: Public land- unless you have state lands (state forests) remember that those open fields and woods are probably NOT "public land"- someone OWNS it. Going onto someone else's land without their permission is called trespass.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Range worthey?

Even if you never have a desire to hunt game, your local fish & game office
will gladly provide the info you seek & provide maps to areas that allow
target practice! (Thats how it "used to be" in California over 20 yrs ago) &
in Idaho, the Idfg is very helpfull! And ask some gunstores in your area
about the "primitive ones" that might exist in your area that are known
mainly by "the locals" like the one in our hunting area!