BUTT-HOLE range officers - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > BUTT-HOLE range officers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #41
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8664 Times on 5169 Posts
Likes Given: 11416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbo123 View Post
Everytime i go to my gun range the range officers get more and more aggresive. They foam out the mouth. My gunrange is knob creek and the range officers are big buttholes. I went inside and my two sons were old enough and responsible enough so i can trust them with the weapons. Well as soon as i go inside the range officer waddles up and starts grabbing the weapons and checks if they were loaded when the breach blocks were in so you would know its unloaded and he only did what he did cause i wasnt currently present just my 13 year old and 17 year old
Quote:
Just saying to all the haters, my son was over the age of 18, which means he was legally and eligable to be on the firing line and to watch my
Younger son because he is over the age of 18 so that means he is not a minor, and that he can handle my weapons with my permission, so he had every right to be on the firing line than anybody else, so please dont make stupid comments, you know who you are and thank you
In your original post you said your sons were 17 and 13 years of age......making them minors and subject to the rules of no minors unattended on the firing line.

Yes, your sons can handle your weapons with your permission. But not as minors on the firing line, unattended, at the range. Nobody seems to be making stupid comments. You started this thread, posting that your sons were minors and the range officer took action to be sure that the range rules were followed.

What's the problem? I don't see anyone being 'haters', just pointing out the facts.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well thats true about my mistake calling my son 17 in my first quote, but somewhere in the comments like in the middle or so, I corrected my error, so im saying that its fine for people to say stuff like he was a minor, but what im getting at is people who have seen my correction of him being 18 should not say anything about him being a minor, I dont want to be a bad guy and you seem like a cool guy to, and i respect your responce and thank you

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #43
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8664 Times on 5169 Posts
Likes Given: 11416

Quote:
Well thats true about my mistake calling my son 17 in my first quote, but somewhere in the comments like in the middle or so, I corrected my error, so im saying that its fine for people to say stuff like he was a minor, but what im getting at is people who have seen my correction of him being 18 should not say anything about him being a minor, I dont want to be a bad guy and you seem like a cool guy to, and i respect your responce and thank you
Thank you for a polite response. I am a cool guy.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #44

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
17-18 the RO is not going to ask for ID. He is only trying to keep the range safe. It is best to lean towards safe and hurt someones feelings than not say anything at all. It might be time to end this thread I think it has run its course.

Last edited by beaglesam; 01-19-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #45

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam

17-18 the RO is not going to ask for ID. He is only trying to keep the range safe. It is best to lean towards safe and hurt someones feelings than not say anything at all. It might be time to end this thread I think it has run its course.
Well beaglesam, i would but first off I dont know how to delete this thread, and in a way this thread may help someone in the future of what to do in my situation

Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Well beaglesam, i would but first off I dont know how to delete this thread, and in a way this thread may help someone in the future of what to do in my situation
It certainly could be of use to somebody in the future.
Personally, i don't shoot at ranges due to a lack of available ranges and a plethora of private land available from friends and family. If nothing else, the kids learned some "range etiquette" for their future, even if it is a bit nitpicky.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #47

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm with you. Almost every RO has been a colossal douche. That kid that everyone ignored cuz he was a douche and now that they have power they throw there weight around. All you RO's that fit this description, give respect to get it. No one shows up at the gun range to cause problems. Thank the good lord I can shoot off my back porch.

Peace: That glorious moment when the shooting stops, and everyone reloads.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I was at the range today where we frequently go. I had my 16 and 14 year old boys with me. I was not shooting when they were (range rules) and had them at arms reach when they were shooting (I sit with the spotting scope between the two benches as they are shooting and call the shots). I do not "know" any of the RO's, but they know that the boys know how to be safe. Never a single violation at the range. We follow the rules.

Late in the afternoon, in the last hour of the day, this group of 3 new gun owners showed up during cease fire when everybody else was walking back to the bench. They ran down range to post their targets, didn't have a stapler or thumbtacks, you all get the picture? The RO drove the golf cart out there and (politely) told them that they needed to get back behind the benches (and that they were posting their targets improperly). When they got to the bench and the range went live, the RO started giving them some instructions. I walked over (they were three benches down) and said I would keep an eye on them as we were just a few benches down. The RO knew I had two minors with me, but it was a slow day and not many people there. He was totally OK with my offer. He did not give express "permission" for me to break the rules but it was merely implied.

Turns out the young men had just picked up the rifle (Remington 700 in .30/06) and came to the range immediately with several boxes of ammunition. They had never fired a rifle before in their lives.

My point is that my boys and I have been to the range often enough and shown that the boys are responsible. On busy days we follow the rules to the letter. The boys are never left unattended by an adult. If I am going to the pisser they go with me. On days when they are not busy they give us some latitude, but we never ask for it.

I would never walk into an unfamiliar range and do what you did. Even if your older son is 18, the younger son should have parental supervision as opposed to his older brother in my opinion. When my older son is 18 and he wants to go shooting with his younger brother I will go to the range with them and check with the range to make sure its OK. My permission means nothing when they are shooting at a range that I do not own.

Several posts have been made along the lines of "I wouldn't let an RO touch my private property (guns) without my permission." Well, you are on their PROPERTY!!! Private or public it is still not your property that you are standing on. The RO's are just enforcing the rules of the property owners (or perhaps rather the insurance company).

You are absolutely right that the RO doesn't need to be a d!ck about anything, in that case I would tell the management and if nothing changed I would visit another range.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #49

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I was at the range today where we frequently go. I had my 16 and 14 year old boys with me. I was not shooting when they were (range rules) and had them at arms reach when they were shooting (I sit with the spotting scope between the two benches as they are shooting and call the shots). I do not "know" any of the RO's, but they know that the boys know how to be safe. Never a single violation at the range. We follow the rules.

Late in the afternoon, in the last hour of the day, this group of 3 new gun owners showed up during cease fire when everybody else was walking back to the bench. They ran down range to post their targets, didn't have a stapler or thumbtacks, you all get the picture? The RO drove the golf cart out there and (politely) told them that they needed to get back behind the benches (and that they were posting their targets improperly). When they got to the bench and the range went live, the RO started giving them some instructions. I walked over (they were three benches down) and said I would keep an eye on them as we were just a few benches down. The RO knew I had two minors with me, but it was a slow day and not many people there. He was totally OK with my offer. He did not give express "permission" for me to break the rules but it was merely implied.

Turns out the young men had just picked up the rifle (Remington 700 in .30/06) and came to the range immediately with several boxes of ammunition. They had never fired a rifle before in their lives.

My point is that my boys and I have been to the range often enough and shown that the boys are responsible. On busy days we follow the rules to the letter. The boys are never left unattended by an adult. If I am going to the pisser they go with me. On days when they are not busy they give us some latitude, but we never ask for it.

I would never walk into an unfamiliar range and do what you did. Even if your older son is 18, the younger son should have parental supervision as opposed to his older brother in my opinion. When my older son is 18 and he wants to go shooting with his younger brother I will go to the range with them and check with the range to make sure its OK. My permission means nothing when they are shooting at a range that I do not own.

Several posts have been made along the lines of "I wouldn't let an RO touch my private property (guns) without my permission." Well, you are on their PROPERTY!!! Private or public it is still not your property that you are standing on. The RO's are just enforcing the rules of the property owners (or perhaps rather the insurance company).

You are absolutely right that the RO doesn't need to be a d!ck about anything, in that case I would tell the management and if nothing changed I would visit another range.
Well said Vikingdad.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 335 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 156

First, Vikingsdad - well said.

Guns & Ammo had a great article on range Nazis who go overboard in enforcing the range rules. This "issue" seems to have hit a nerve w several readers and I believe everyone can relate to the Napolean syndrome.

I hated running ranges in the military and Am grateful to all ROs for their efforts to keep lawyers unemployed in our litigious society. Please remember, common sense is no longer common today and even experienced shooters can have a bad day. There are some things in this life where "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it and getting shot is one of them.

Conflict mgt is an art form but it is possible to correct someone for a safety violation w/o embarrassing or humiliating them. Unfortunately, idiots seem to outnumber the good guys and the ratio seems to be growing.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 02-01-2012 at 02:13 AM.