BUTT-HOLE range officers - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > BUTT-HOLE range officers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

After reading all of these posts I'm happy I shoot on my land and my relative's land (who happen to like guns more than I do!)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Theres 1 in ever walk of life! not just RO's but I unserstand what your saying.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

I do not condone the attitude of the Range Officer at Knob Creek but the Range Rules at Knob Creek advise that anyone on the range with weapons under the age of 18 must have a parent with them. With it being the home of the National Machine Gun Shoot twice per year they must have specific rules. Maybe the Range Officer has had his fill of other people who negligently violate the rules frequently. He certainly should have handled it a little differently but as previously mentioned, one accident could put Knob Creek out of business not to mention the individual Range Officer would also be liable for negligence of his or her responsibility for which they are employed. And I am sure with the ridiculous insurance premiums Knob Creek must pay they have contractually agreed to follow certain rules and safety guidelines by contract with the insurance company who insures them. Any violation of that contractual agreement nullifies the insurance policy. Insurance regarding weapons as well as shooting ranges is hard to get anyway. And certainly if you ever get a policy cancelled due to non compliance. Only some thoughts. I certainly can agree with the enforcement of the policy there but maybe not the procedure mentioned of enforcing it. There are ways to go about it that might have been much better in this particular case.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #34

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Butt-hole RSO's

If the range rules state that "minors" are to be under direct supervision, where was the guardian at, when this "well deserved admonishment" was taking place. Dad isn't even close enough to come to son's aid and now wants to complain about RSO's actions? Another case of someone who thinks so highly of themselves that not all of the rules apply to them. And when they get caught breaking the rule/law, want to complain.

I happen to like to like shooting places where RSO's follow rules and seem strict. You and everyone else know safety isn't compromised and where you stand.

Enjoy the shooting sports,.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #35

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts

I aggree that OP should have pulled his kids off the line, just for the fact that it is the rule. Doesn't matter if son was 18, rules state parent must supervise.

I also agree with trip. RO should not have handled gun without permission. Even common sense dictates you don't touch other peoples property. A little ridiculous especially since the breech was clearly open.

Being a noob, not to shooting, but to gun ownership and shooting in places other than our family property, I have found that I am extremly protective of my guns.

My first experience at my Dad's Club in Sycamore was a good one, though I did have a similar incident. Being new to handguns and range rules I made a mistake. I had two of my sons there, and one of us, I don't know who was shooting it at the time, left our Beretta on the table without locking the slide open. Mag was out, pointing downrange, and I didnt realize the breech until RO was walking our way. Met him at the table, when he was about to handle the gun, but as soon as he saw me he just asked that I show clear. I immeadiatly apologized. My mistake. He was very respectful and I got the feeling they are not in the habit of touching other peoples guns without consent.

At the time that he was about to reach for my gun, before I reached the table, I felt my blood come to a low boil thinking he was going to touch MY gun. I was surprised that I felt soooo mad about that. So trip,.I feel ya 100% on that.

One last thing, please reconsider trip, you have been so helpful to me and I value your opinion and knowledge. There are just a couple others on this forum, whose comments on my threads I really trust.

Sent by BelRockRebel on the DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will state this, if the son was 18 and the rule is under the age of 18, then the son isn't a minor and the RO, shouldn't have touched the gun without permission. but i will also say this, at no time is my weapon anywhere further than a couple of feet from my view or possesion. someone just grabbing up and looking at my firearms without permission, is like someone just getting into my vehicle or walking into my home without it. i just don't condone or allow it. i think the RO should have handled it much differently, asked if the weapon was safe, and if he could examine it to be sure. is't not so much what he did, but how he went about doing it that would have upset me also.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #37

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Butt-hole RSO

A private/public range in this area gives the RSO authority to handle others firearms if there is a "safety" reason. Ranges have a "implied consent" if you don't sign one, stating you"ll obey the Range Rules. Why do people break rules and then want to complain about being disciplined or educated over it. And as far as "others" touching your gun, that's fine to keep unauthorized personel from your guns but the RSO, while you are actively on "their" firing line, has authority to "touch" your gun. They better have a damn good reason, but if justified, and you go off on a ego trip and assault the guy, well, it's a felony just like hitting an umpire at a ballgame. Most experienced shooters, that have worked with new folks, have had to point a barrel of a gun, a new person is holding, toward a safe area if the new person was complacent. Was that reason to knock the hell out of "em, they touched someone's gun.

Enjoy the shooting sports, .

Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Personally, I prefer a range that has rules and enforces them. The rules are for everyone's safety, and it's comforting to hear an RSO dress someone down for doing something totally stupid. Like the most common call out at the outdoor range is "Keep that firearm pointed down range". Which is a good thing considering there is nothing between you and the guy in the next booth.

On the other hand, it's possible to be strict and enforce the rules to the letter, and yet still be polite and respectful. Not far from where I live, there is an outdoor range which is owned and operated by the state. While most RSO's there are decent, they have a few who see that uniform they wear as a power trip. They are loud and abusive. I've seen them go face to face with shooters, screaming like a drill sergeant dressing down a recruit. And it's one thing to enforce the rules. It's another thing to enforce them to the point of being silly. That range has a rule against rapid fire. The theory is that some people can lose control of their gun during rapid fire, and pose a safety threat. So they have a rule....3 seconds between shots. Well, most RSO's there will tell you that they really aren't so much concerned with the "3 second" thing as much as just ensuring the person is taking deliberate, controlled shots, and not just spraying rounds. They will let it go if they see you are under control. But I've seen RSO's stand there and time people with a stop watch..."that was only 2.8 seconds".

Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #39

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have never seen a range master touch someone else's guns. And I have been to a lot of ranges. Normally they tell you what to do about your guns, if not properly breech blocked, etc.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just saying to all the haters, my son was over the age of 18, which means he was legally and eligable to be on the firing line and to watch my
Younger son because he is over the age of 18 so that means he is not a minor, and that he can handle my weapons with my permission, so he had every right to be on the firing line than anybody else, so please dont make stupid comments, you know who you are and thank you