BUTT-HOLE range officers - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > BUTT-HOLE range officers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
I wouldn't exactly call him a noob, but taking it down a notch is a REALLY good idea. Getting all wound up over someone elses range issues does not sound very healthy to me.
It's the personal attacks the bug me. I'm a noob to the forum too, just a very active one. Not any more though. This is a place for talk, not personal attacks and apparently some of my opinions and experience tick some people off. I'll continue to lurk, but this is gonna be my last post for a while. Catch y'all later.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #22

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Personal arracks or not a RO can walk down and look at a firearm. Darn near ever one ever made if the action is open can by looked at a found safe or not. If it is not safe then pick it up and clear it and then school the dummy that owns it. But not to just pick it up. I have met more than a couple RO than are so ate up with there small place in life that some times it take a very rude holler'n at to get them back on track. Or can't hear any more or can't see for poop and one that attention span was so short he would just stumble away to BS with ole buddies and not even be around. But the old guys are still allowed to be RO's. Like most thangs political and shooting ranges are it typicaly takes some holler'n at meetings and pissed off people at get any changes at most ranges.

Anyone shooter stepping away from the line leaveing any non shooter and firearms behind should have brought the RO down to give him a heads up before walking away from the line.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
I wonder how many accidental discharges that range officer has prevented...???
He is there for a reason and it is not to be a friend to everyone
0. None. Nada. Safety measures cannot prevent accidents. Breaking a safety measure (like snatching a gun), in the name of safety, is like screwing for virginity.

While living in LA (Lower Alabama) I belonged to a range/club which was run PERFECTLY. 20 acres, multiple bays, shoot-house, camping facilities, and most of all GOOD, CALM, range officers. When I was shooting with my kids, and the range was nearly empty, the RO would stop by to HELP. He'd offer - in a kind way - tips and encouragement to me and my kids. Once he saw something my daughter was doing (pointing the revolver at her feet while she re-cocked it). He didn't freak the hell out, he said "hey - watch her point it down between shots. She might slip and fire-one off." He told ME. He gave me the gift of having a GREAT teaching point/opportunity with my daughter.

Since moving to Michigan I haven't found a range I like. State range is run stricter than my BRM classes in Basic Combat Training. While the officers are kind, helpful -they are required to enforce a LOT of rules - such as limiting the number of rounds one can keep in a magazine, etc.

That's one reason I found a house with my own shooting area. I encourage folks to deal with living way out in the sticks; while I commute 70 miles per day, when I get home I can shoot exploding targets, run through a magazine, or even hunt without leaving my yard.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #24

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the best option is to vote with your wallet if you are dissatisfied with a range or it's employees find another range or find some land to shoot on. Some places and people appreciate your buisness some do not. I shoot at a pistol range that has no range officer and charges 10 dollars to shoot all day and let's me pick up brass. Guess what this place gets a lot of business. One day I will buy a place in the country and buy a used tractor and build my own personal range for my own use.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #25

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It's the personal attacks the bug me. I'm a noob to the forum too, just a very active one. Not any more though. This is a place for talk, not personal attacks and apparently some of my opinions and experience tick some people off. I'll continue to lurk, but this is gonna be my last post for a while. Catch y'all later.
C'mon Trip, don't go, you're an asset to this site...I said ASSET! Don't let the high schoolers get your goat!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
C'mon Trip, don't go, you're an asset to this site...I said ASSET! Don't let the high schoolers get your goat!!
Agreed! Quitters never win.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't punch someone in the nose, but disarming me at the range would get a stern reaction of some sort.

Good on the OP for getting the kids involved in shooting!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
One of the first things EVERYONE is advised of is GROW A THICK SKIN. If one cannot understand how to deal with personal attacks, then an online forum is not a place for that person to frequent.

This IS a place for talk, positive talk. Venting one's frustrations because one was bullied as a school boy is not talk. When a member feels he or she is the subject of personal attacks, that member should A. inform a moderator of the problem so we can try to solve it or B. ignore the fool. To engage in a pissing contest with someone online does nothing but air dirty laundry in front of the non-gun lurkers. The Brady Bunch love to see us at each other's throats.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
One of the first things EVERYONE is advised of is GROW A THICK SKIN. If one cannot understand how to deal with personal attacks, then an online forum is not a place for that person to frequent.

This IS a place for talk, positive talk. Venting one's frustrations because one was bullied as a school boy is not talk. When a member feels he or she is the subject of personal attacks, that member should A. inform a moderator of the problem so we can try to solve it or B. ignore the fool. To engage in a pissing contest with someone online does nothing but air dirty laundry in front of the non-gun lurkers. The Brady Bunch love to see us at each other's throats.
Good advice from a daggum Texan no less...who'da thunk it?

J/K robo...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Agreed! Quitters never win.
...they never really LOSE either.

Although, that slogan is the one i used when my Wife asked me to quit drinkin'.