BUTT-HOLE range officers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > BUTT-HOLE range officers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Your kids were just that - kids - so they shouldn't have been left unsupervised. So, this time, I don't believe you have a legitimate gripe. That being said, I used to go to Garland Public Shooting Range in Garland, Tx and they got a coupla guys there I don't much care for, as they like to push their weight around for no cause at all. I think it's because they've probably had a "nothing" life and now, with a gun on their hip, they think they're Wyatt Earp. They'd probably be better off as Walmart greeters. I have quit going there and will never go back. I'm a shooter, but I was also their customer. I'm treating them just like any other poor-service business -- I won't go back and I'll tell everyone I can why not. Money's too hard to come by these days to take a bunch of stuff from some arrogant slob.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well actually my oldest just turned 18 that past week so i thought he was still 17 but he was legal to watch my youngest and they were sitting down not even near the weapons that were on the firing line so yea everything was good on my part. They never shot without my supervision

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1233 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbo123 View Post
Well actually my oldest just turned 18 that past week so i thought he was still 17 but he was legal to watch my youngest and they were sitting down not even near the weapons that were on the firing line so yea everything was good on my part. They never shot without my supervision
I do understand your complaint,but you also need to understand just what the RO's #1 job is-Keeping Everyone On The Range SAFE!
I frequent a local range,and all of the RO's are great fellows since they have gotten to know me and many other shooters over the years.But their main concern is keeping everyone that is at the range SAFE.
I see no harm done by a RO that's just checking a weapon to make sure it has an open and clear chamber.
Some of them do have attitudes,but they do have to deal with some really dumbazz people on a daily basis that shouldn't own or possess a firearm.

Give them a break,their just trying to keep the range a safe place to be,and probably didn't think he would offend you by touching your guns.You did leave your children unattended after all,even if they are well versed in gun safety.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

I was at a range Friday with the sil and 2 grandkids. The head range officer was a pretty decent guy and he had a lot of shooters to contend with. A 2nd range officer came in to help and was evidently not too knowledgeable. He jumped on me about not having the cylinder open on a single action revolver. The gate was open and the yellow chamber indicator was stuffed into the cylinder. I would have had no objection if he had picked up the revolver and spun the cylinder to verify all the chambers were empty. I had to tell him it was a single action and the cylinder does not swing open. The head range officer walked by it several times recognizing what it was. I would have removed the cylinder if it was a problem.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wonder how many accidental discharges that range officer has prevented...???
He is there for a reason and it is not to be a friend to everyone

Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Doesn't matter, taking someones firearm by force, even to check that it isn't loaded is still assault, except in the case of LE operating within regulations (which, when force is used, usually also has something to do with an uncooperative suspect, or sometimes just a misunderstanding)

If a civilian, even a range officer, even if I've paid to be there and abide by their rules, takes my firearm out of my hand or holster, for any reason without allowing me to "unload, show clear" and retain it for myself, they just walked into nose breaking territory.

"nose-breaking territory"?! Are you freaking kidding me? It's this kind of macho bs that makes people who are unsure about people who legally carry guns. You sound like the 5th grade bully who dares someone to take the milk off of his tray. Grow up.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

You have to remember the R/O's have to enforce the rules to the lowest common denominator.

Unless and until they know you....they have to assume you're a dinkroid who knows next to nothing.

Even so...you did violate the rules by leaving your kinds unattended.

He might have handled it a bit better...like standing by until you returned and had a quiet word with you...but the fact remains, he didn't step outside HIS authority. As R/O he had the right in your absense to take the guns from the bench and secure them until you returned.

There is a legal term for use of that range..."IMPLIED CONSENT".

If you HAD gone to "nose breaking" territory...you would also gone to "sitting in jail waiting to be bailed out because you were stupid" territory.

If you don't like the rules they have established for the safety of all involved, and don't want to abide by those rules...go shoot elsewhere.

It's pretty simple.

When I was lead instructor at the academy, I tossed more than one command grade officer off MY range for safety violations.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #18

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbryant32

"nose-breaking territory"?! Are you freaking kidding me? It's this kind of macho bs that makes people who are unsure about people who legally carry guns. You sound like the 5th grade bully who dares someone to take the milk off of his tray. Grow up.
First off, I was the guy getting bullied in the fifth grade, likely by folks like you.
Second, I did grow up. In Afghanistan, Iraq, and then in enforcing law as military police after I left the infantry.
One hard fact I learned has been this- it is DANGEROUS to snatch a gun from someone. It runs a high risk of an accidental discharge. A TRAINED LEO is the only one who needs to be snatching someones gun, and even then, only if they really have to for safety or to make an arrest.
Yes, if your not wearing a badge, and trying to put me in cuffs, then snatching my gun from holster or hand puts me, my family, and everyone else in the vicinity at risk of being killed, and risking lives over an ego is nose breaking territory at the bare minimum. I have seen more than one injury occur as a result of this foolishness. A REAL d bag, as you seem to think I am, would have said he'd shoot the guy.
It is called weapon retention. It is a safety violation to snatch a weapon from someone without a good "unload, show clear".
These kids were unattended at the moment, which is the OP's mistake and he seems to realize that. There were still breech flags in the guns.
AZ seems to agree that I would be in the wrong, and he's probably right that I would be arrested. In which case, I would argue my reasoning in court and have to deal with the consequences. Oh well.
Ask yourself this. If you were on the street and some one snatched your gun to make sure it's clear, would you feel the same way? Likely not. I expect to be treated with the same respect and courtesy, no, MORE respect and courtesy, from a service I pay for, than I do from some regular joe on the street.
Call me an immature child, a bully, or what the heck ever you want. But when you see a friend catch a bullet through the eyeball over such a thing, and you know someone gets the joy of telling the guy's wife and kid, you may feel the desire to change your outlook on weapon retention. My weapon does not and will not leave my person unless I am confident the situation us safe. Unless I screw up and I'm getting arrested, in which case three will be plenty of other things to be thinking about.

Last edited by trip286; 11-29-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #19

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbryant32 View Post
Take it down a notch noob...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I wouldn't exactly call him a noob, but taking it down a notch is a REALLY good idea. Getting all wound up over someone elses range issues does not sound very healthy to me.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball