Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Breaking In My PM9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Breaking In My PM9

So, it's been a while since this trip to the range but I thought I would share this anyhow. I had bought my PM9 for CC use and I needed to break it in. I followed the prep thread over on the Kahr forums. I also added some grip tape to the grip as well as a grip extender to the 6 round magazine.

I wasn't too concerned about accuracy. I mainly wanted to make sure it cycled accurately. Ammo I used was some Federal FMJ. I went through 200 rounds and all of them cycled flawlessly except one. I had a FTF and the slide locked back. When I checked the chamber the round was nose down in the magazine. I ejected the magazine and reinserted it. Released the slide and it fired every round after that without any more failures.

I was aware of this issue before I went to the range. The issue is that you might have issues with the bullet catching the slide lever causing the slide to lock back and an FTF. I had checked and it looked like clearance was good on both the range FMJ and defensive JHP I have.

As such when I got home from the range I broke it down and filed down the slide lever ever so slightly. Now I just need to get back to the range to test it again to see if I get another failure. In the end my accuracy wasn't too bad since I wasn't focusing on that.

Here's the target from the first box of rounds. First half shot at 7 yards, 2nd at 10 yards.

Overall I'm happy with the gun so far. However, I've decided I need more magazines to take to the range. Two just doesn't cut it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here