Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A Bittersweet Day At The Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default A Bittersweet Day At The Range

I went to the range today for two reasons. First, I had done some work on my Kahr PM9 to see if I could get it cycling reliably. Second, I went for some grip and stance training to improve accuracy.

Before the instructor showed up I had some time to kill so I ran 100 rounds through the PM9. It didn't go well. The more I shot, the more often it was having issues. It started to have issues locking the slide back after the last round. But the real issue are the failures to feed. It seems that sometime when a round is chambered it pushed the next round too far forward and it gets hung up under the feed ramp. So the slide get jammed, but is not all the way back. I'm through messing with it and I'm sending it back to Kahr.

Here's a picture of the target. Most of the shots were from just trying to see if it would cycle. Not taking my time and not really trying to be accurate. Later, as it had more and more issues, since I was already slowed down I tried some accuracy. You can see a couple of nice groups from that. I'm very happy with those results at least. This was from 21 feet.

Then the instructor showed up and was able to point out my first problem, my stance. My shoulders were behind my hips. Once we corrected that my shooting improved. But I still have a problem with anticipation. He suggested doing some dry fire practicing after we were done. He brought a couple of Glocks, a CZ, and a Springer 1911 9mm. I got to shoot them all and I really like the Glock 19. Of course, I liked the 1911. I didn't like the CZ as much as it was small. The other Glock I didn't like at all.

It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Time to practice and see the payoff the next time I'm at the range!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Check the gap between the feed lips on your mag. It should be .325-.335" that may be your problem.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I can see this being a magazine issue, on both counts. I guess we will see. I sent the darn thing back to Kahr this morning.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Liked 126 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Stance, grip and sling, natural sight picture, breathing, aim, trigger squeeze/pull, follow up.

Bring some chalk with you next time.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

Likes Given: 2

Train with a revolver, leaving a couple of chambers empty, have someone else prep the gun so you don't know how many and where they are.. This should help out