A bit disappointing - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A bit disappointing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

It looks to me like you need a 336!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

If you don't have peeps or glass, adj the sights is quite an experience in patience. Get your favorite hammer n brass punch n whack away !

Note: I used to use typo correction fluid but use something to mark where the sights were so you can readily see how much or little they have moved.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1392 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
If you don't have peeps or glass, adj the sights is quite an experience in patience. Get your favorite hammer n brass punch n whack away !

Note: I used to use typo correction fluid but use something to mark where the sights were so you can readily see how much or little they have moved.
Roger that, will do. This is the first lever gun I've ever owned--have had or have just about everything else--so adjusting that rear sight with a hammer will be a new experience for me.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I will be constructing a house shortly and such a shooting range will be part of the build...nice range!

Thank you. I built it in the woods so it could not be seen from satellite or aircraft.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
It looks to me like you need a 336!!!

I don't need any more guns that I have to whack with a hammer to get on target.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #36

Okay...whacked it with a hammer, it centered pretty good on paper...all I had to do was take it up the ladder. Here are my first four groups.

Then moved the sight elevator back a click and I think we're in the money

Last edited by 7point62; 12-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Well done, great last group for iron sights - what range ?

IMHO: Whatever ammo you bought - buy more ! Then try both 170 & 150 gr loads to see how the POI changes. With my 336, it's not much but JIC I can't find my ammo of choice, I can make do.

I would also try the new Lever ammo to see if that improves performance @ 75 yds out.

Drills: I like to set up two to three tgts at different ranges and keep them all in a 8" Dinner plate. (Paper plates are cheap) 2 Near, 2 far, one max range. Reload, try to do it faster but maintain accuracy. Try different firing position - Field Positions. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Some of those Cowboy competitors are very impressive. (Their guns are highly tuned)

Marlins have after market triggers that can help w accuracy & speed. If you are going to shoot alot, I would add a recoil pad - kick ezz rocker pad. The LOP should be fitted to you but short enough for easy mounting. This will also make the 30/30 more gun friendly for other shooters & longer practice sessions.

Flinches are like the Yips in putting - PIA and hard to get rid of so do whatever you can as "preventive medicine." JMHO.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #38

Thanks, I came in to 60 yards. I couldn't see the bullseye from 100. Last outing I used the Hornady LeverRevolution. This time it was Winchester 170 grain Super X. I fired just 15 rounds today and feel like the sights are where I want them to be. Most of the pigs I've taken have been within 100 yards.

I will take your advice. The 94 kicks pretty good, a recoil pad might be in order.

Last edited by 7point62; 12-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 566 Times on 318 Posts

I'm glad I followed this thread. My 94 shoots left as well. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the windage. Hammer and punch is the ticket I guess. I have a scope attached to it for the simple reason I couldn't zero the irons. I tried bending the back with my thumb but that bugger wouldn't budge. I dislike the scope for two reasons. One why have a scope on a lever action .Two the spent shell smacks the scope when ejecting and I have to manually pull it out.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I'm glad I followed this thread. My 94 shoots left as well. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the windage. Hammer and punch is the ticket I guess. I have a scope attached to it for the simple reason I couldn't zero the irons. I tried bending the back with my thumb but that bugger wouldn't budge. I dislike the scope for two reasons. One why have a scope on a lever action .Two the spent shell smacks the scope when ejecting and I have to manually pull it out.
Us old farts were adjusting rear sights with a hammer long before you whipper snappers were a glint in your dad's eye!
Glad to see you got it dialed in.
Remember "The only good hog is a dead hog"!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!