A bit disappointing
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

A bit disappointing


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,151
Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default A bit disappointing

I just added a pre-owned Win 94ae 30-30 to the collection and I really like the rifle.

A bit disappointing - Range Report



As you can see I ran out of targets so I just grabbed computer paper and tried for dead center at 100 yards. My first attempt was up-left.


A bit disappointing - Range Report


I adjusted elevation and tried again and the results were better. 2 out of 3 in the center.

A bit disappointing - Range Report


Subsequent hits were disappointing. The problem aint the gun. It's my eyes. I can see the rear sight notch and the target clearly, but the front sight post and bead blur on me...I lose it in the V. I'm thinking a dab of luminescent paint on the front sight bead might help it stand out more.

It sucks getting old.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TimL2952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lockport,New York
Posts: 1,354
Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I just added a pre-owned Win 94ae 30-30 to the collection and I really like the rifle.

A bit disappointing - Range Report



As you can see I ran out of targets so I just grabbed computer paper and tried for dead center at 100 yards. My first attempt was up-left.


A bit disappointing - Range Report


I adjusted elevation and tried again and the results were better. 2 out of 3 in the center.

A bit disappointing - Range Report


Subsequent hits were disappointing. The problem aint the gun. It's my eyes. I can see the rear sight notch and the target clearly, but the front sight post and bead blur on me...I lose it in the V. I'm thinking a dab of luminescent paint on the front sight bead might help it stand out more.

It sucks getting old.
Go ahead and open up the sights and add some paint..can't hurt. May even want to try adding a tang peep sight.

Do you wear glasses?
TimL2952 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 10,454
Liked 9397 Times on 5083 Posts
Likes Given: 19586

Default

You could replace the sights with new fiber optic sights. They make a world of difference.
__________________
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
MisterMcCool is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,151
Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default

Thanks Tim & Mac, I think fiber optics is the way to go. I've been pricing them, they're very affordable. Dammit I used to be lights out with iron sights at 300+ yrds.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Thanks Tim & Mac, I think fiber optics is the way to go. I've been pricing them, they're very affordable. Dammit I used to be lights out with iron sights at 300+ yrds.
i think that your eyes are part of the problem. as we age our eyesight will get worse, not better. problem is that it occurs gradually and we are not as aware of it.

i shoot rifles mostly that have scopes, and rarely go and get my glasses when shooting with open sights. i also have model 94 in 30-30 and refuse to put a scope on mine either. i did put some White-Out on the front post to make it stand out against the rear notch and it did help.
Axxe55 is offline  
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,151
Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i think that your eyes are part of the problem. as we age our eyesight will get worse, not better. problem is that it occurs gradually and we are not as aware of it.

i shoot rifles mostly that have scopes, and rarely go and get my glasses when shooting with open sights. i also have model 94 in 30-30 and refuse to put a scope on mine either. i did put some White-Out on the front post to make it stand out against the rear notch and it did help.



Thanks Axxe, I might try the white-out or a tiny dab of luminescent paint before I replace the sights with fiber-optics. My vision is good except for reading...things about arms-length away, like a front sight, are getting fuzzy. I don't want to put a scope on this rifle because I'll use it for hogs right after dusk. John Wayne didn't have a scope on his Winchester and I don't want one on mine.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
My vision is good except for reading...things about arms-length away, like a front sight, are getting fuzzy.
Does that mean you're far sighted?
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Glock Certified Armorer In Occupied USA
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

One problem, you are shooting at nothing. Shooting at nothing, gives you nothing to focus your attention on.

Grab a black felt tip marker and put a bullseye in the center of the paper. Size of a half dollar.

That will make a world of difference.

You are looking at three things, all different distances. Impossible for a human eye to get a focus on all three at the same time.

Best bet is to focus on the front sight. That makes both the back sight and the target a little fuzzy.

Want a trick to make everything in focus? Make yourself a set of pin hole glasses. Get a pair of shooting glasses and tape over the lens. Except for a tiny pin hole. Look through that pinhole, and everything will be in focus.

Too dark? Larger hole.

Doesn't do anything? Smaller hole.

Last edited by AR10; 12-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
AR10 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 7,298
Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
One problem, you are shooting at nothing. Shooting at nothing, gives you nothing to focus your attention on.

Grab a black felt tip marker and put a bullseye in the center of the paper. Size of a half dollar.

That will make a world of difference.

You are looking at three things, all different distances. Impossible for a human eye to get a focus on all three at the same time.

Best bet is to focus on the front sight. That makes both the back sight and the target a little fuzzy.

Want a trick to make everything in focus? Make yourself a set of pin hole glasses. Get a pair of shooting glasses and tape over the lens. Except for a tiny pin hole. Look through that pinhole, and everything will be in focus.

Too dark? Larger hole.

Doesn't do anything? Smaller hole.
I like your post but I have found it rather hard to draw a dot on a deer before shooting it.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Install a receiver sight on the Mdl. 94. That has been the most popular sight on lever guns for over 100 years.
nitestalker is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
M&P customer service disappointing IvanKaz Semi-Auto Handguns 8 10-09-2013 02:15 AM
A disappointing day at the range : ( Tidalforce79 Semi-Auto Handguns 7 12-16-2010 11:59 PM
Disappointing day w/ Kimber & Sig! ddog General Handgun Discussion 12 09-30-2010 01:23 AM



Newest Threads