A bit disappointing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A bit disappointing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Default A bit disappointing

I just added a pre-owned Win 94ae 30-30 to the collection and I really like the rifle.

As you can see I ran out of targets so I just grabbed computer paper and tried for dead center at 100 yards. My first attempt was up-left.

I adjusted elevation and tried again and the results were better. 2 out of 3 in the center.

Subsequent hits were disappointing. The problem aint the gun. It's my eyes. I can see the rear sight notch and the target clearly, but the front sight post and bead blur on me...I lose it in the V. I'm thinking a dab of luminescent paint on the front sight bead might help it stand out more.

It sucks getting old.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
I just added a pre-owned Win 94ae 30-30 to the collection and I really like the rifle.

As you can see I ran out of targets so I just grabbed computer paper and tried for dead center at 100 yards. My first attempt was up-left.

I adjusted elevation and tried again and the results were better. 2 out of 3 in the center.

Subsequent hits were disappointing. The problem aint the gun. It's my eyes. I can see the rear sight notch and the target clearly, but the front sight post and bead blur on me...I lose it in the V. I'm thinking a dab of luminescent paint on the front sight bead might help it stand out more.

It sucks getting old.
Go ahead and open up the sights and add some paint..can't hurt. May even want to try adding a tang peep sight.

Do you wear glasses?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7122 Times on 3897 Posts
Likes Given: 14420

You could replace the sights with new fiber optic sights. They make a world of difference.

People Like This 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Thanks Tim & Mac, I think fiber optics is the way to go. I've been pricing them, they're very affordable. Dammit I used to be lights out with iron sights at 300+ yrds.

People Like This 
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Thanks Tim & Mac, I think fiber optics is the way to go. I've been pricing them, they're very affordable. Dammit I used to be lights out with iron sights at 300+ yrds.
i think that your eyes are part of the problem. as we age our eyesight will get worse, not better. problem is that it occurs gradually and we are not as aware of it.

i shoot rifles mostly that have scopes, and rarely go and get my glasses when shooting with open sights. i also have model 94 in 30-30 and refuse to put a scope on mine either. i did put some White-Out on the front post to make it stand out against the rear notch and it did help.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i think that your eyes are part of the problem. as we age our eyesight will get worse, not better. problem is that it occurs gradually and we are not as aware of it.

i shoot rifles mostly that have scopes, and rarely go and get my glasses when shooting with open sights. i also have model 94 in 30-30 and refuse to put a scope on mine either. i did put some White-Out on the front post to make it stand out against the rear notch and it did help.

Thanks Axxe, I might try the white-out or a tiny dab of luminescent paint before I replace the sights with fiber-optics. My vision is good except for reading...things about arms-length away, like a front sight, are getting fuzzy. I don't want to put a scope on this rifle because I'll use it for hogs right after dusk. John Wayne didn't have a scope on his Winchester and I don't want one on mine.

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
My vision is good except for reading...things about arms-length away, like a front sight, are getting fuzzy.
Does that mean you're far sighted?

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 949 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

One problem, you are shooting at nothing. Shooting at nothing, gives you nothing to focus your attention on.

Grab a black felt tip marker and put a bullseye in the center of the paper. Size of a half dollar.

That will make a world of difference.

You are looking at three things, all different distances. Impossible for a human eye to get a focus on all three at the same time.

Best bet is to focus on the front sight. That makes both the back sight and the target a little fuzzy.

Want a trick to make everything in focus? Make yourself a set of pin hole glasses. Get a pair of shooting glasses and tape over the lens. Except for a tiny pin hole. Look through that pinhole, and everything will be in focus.

Too dark? Larger hole.

Doesn't do anything? Smaller hole.

Last edited by AR10; 12-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
One problem, you are shooting at nothing. Shooting at nothing, gives you nothing to focus your attention on.

Grab a black felt tip marker and put a bullseye in the center of the paper. Size of a half dollar.

That will make a world of difference.

You are looking at three things, all different distances. Impossible for a human eye to get a focus on all three at the same time.

Best bet is to focus on the front sight. That makes both the back sight and the target a little fuzzy.

Want a trick to make everything in focus? Make yourself a set of pin hole glasses. Get a pair of shooting glasses and tape over the lens. Except for a tiny pin hole. Look through that pinhole, and everything will be in focus.

Too dark? Larger hole.

Doesn't do anything? Smaller hole.
I like your post but I have found it rather hard to draw a dot on a deer before shooting it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Install a receiver sight on the Mdl. 94. That has been the most popular sight on lever guns for over 100 years.