Best ammo that wont break the bank?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Best ammo that wont break the bank?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default Best ammo that wont break the bank?

I'm going to start stocking up on some good ammo, don't really need nor want JHP's, a nice powerful FMJ is fine. So, what ammo would you guys recommend? I'd like not to spend a small fortune.

How about Speer lawman or gold dot?

And I'm sure someone will ask what caliber am I thinking, well: 9mm, .40 S&W, .45, 5.56x45, 7.62x39... Yeah, all of 'em.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Gold Dot is HP. Lawman I dont buy since I got a bad load and destroyed a pistol. Rem sells mega packs of 250 rounds but you can find Federal 50 packs cheaper. There is a sale on at Midway. Other mail order stores have lots to choose from. Aim Surplus had some good prices recently.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Winchester White Box is primarily what ill use at the range for my .45. Walmart will have the best price. For my 9mm I stick with the 50 rnd federal also at Walmart. WWB in 9mm is loose bulk and i usually get a couple of bad rounds where the bullet is seated too far in the casing and puts a crimp on the side. Not acceptable. At least the .45 has a cardboard layer between each 20 rounds in the 100 CT box. Never had a problem with it.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #4

One local Wal-Mart had Federal 9MM 100 round boxes for $19.98 and I bought 700 rounds. Most of the time the 50 rounders are $10.49. Another local store has the 50 rounders for $10.50 as well. I check another Wal-Mart and a buddy of mine checked a third and neither of the other two had the 100 round deal so I guess it's hit or miss.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

sellier bellot, rws, magtech. are all good ammo brands that you can find pretty reasonable. look online. ive found them for 10 to 11 bucks a box for 9mm. if you keep your eyes open you can find 1000rnds for around 190 online sales,. often with free shipping

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.