Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Beretta Storm .45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1456 Times on 1017 Posts
Likes Given: 733

Default Beretta Storm .45 ACP

I took my carbine to the range to test the "poor man's trigger job" I did on it. The stock trigger pill on the Storm is rather heavy and mushy, apparently due to the polymer sear assembly.

The Storm is well known firearm, no need to describe it. On the photo, please note the charger handle on the left, a great Beretta option for a right handed shooter like me. I also took the polymer insert out of the buttstock and placed a silicone buttpad on it, which restored its overall length of pull. Reliability remains 100%.

Today I shot Blazer alloy-cased 230 gr rounds. I was pleased with the lightened trigger action. It could still be made better, but I decided not to risk ruining the trigger assembly. The Storm is a law enforcement and self-defense firearm, not a target rifle. Recorded was a string of 8 shots (1 mag) at 25 yards, offhand. It is raw footage, I could not edit it on my slow laptop, but only 1 minute long.

http://youtu.be/GVWg5chNSWE

File Type: jpg IMGP0177.jpg (31.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0175.jpg (31.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Mercator; 07-05-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added target closeup
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is the "trigger job". This tiny notch on the hammer is where it is held by the sear. (The brass jag is pointing at it). I rounded it off with a micro-file. It was a slow procedure. You have to weigh the trigger pull against the safety concerns. The Storm does have a manual safety.

File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.7 KB, 40 views)

Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 547

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/1911-45-15rd-nickel-pro.html#.U7mw6fldVi8

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wrong thread I am guessing

Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Wrong thread I am guessing
I saw an ad for a CX4 that said it took Colt mags. Possibly it was wrong or Beretta has a model that takes the 1911 mags. Might be an adapter kit.
I wish Springfield would build one that takes XD mags.

Patron Member NRA
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

If you don't mind me asking, how many rounds had been put through it prior to the trigger job?
After about 250 to 300 rounds, the trigger on mine went from "OMG is the safety on?" to "A bit heavy, but not too bad at all" without me having to do anything else.
Not sure if your familiar with these guys, but you may find something you like: http://sierrapapacx4.com/
I'd like to get their Hammer/trigger/spring kit. I just don't hate my current trigger enough to spend $180+ on fixing it...yet.
I'd also be interested in hearing experiences/opinions where their Magazine extensions are concerned.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how many rounds had been put through it prior to the trigger job?
After about 250 to 300 rounds, the trigger on mine went from "OMG is the safety on?" to "A bit heavy, but not too bad at all" without me having to do anything else.
Not sure if your familiar with these guys, but you may find something you like: http://sierrapapacx4.com/
I'd like to get their Hammer/trigger/spring kit. I just don't hate my current trigger enough to spend $180+ on fixing it...yet.
I'd also be interested in hearing experiences/opinions where their Magazine extensions are concerned.
Last time I looked them up, they weren't selling yet. Very nice!

My bubba job of course was free, a work of love. Can't remember the prior round count but surely in the hundreds. I am not a trigger snob, and I would not scoff at a combat firearm for having a heavy trigger. Mine is better now for what I do with this carbine. It's good to know an upgrade kit is there, should your own upgrade fail.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I saw an ad for a CX4 that said it took Colt mags. Possibly it was wrong or Beretta has a model that takes the 1911 mags. Might be an adapter kit.
I wish Springfield would build one that takes XD mags.
There is a parallel forum thread on Beretta CX4 Magazines. No problem, I just thought you meant your post for them.

The Beretta Storm is really a cool product. It came in a fitted clamshell case, not a loose Plano type. How many other rifles are shipped that way? It came also with a long 45 caliber carbon fiber cleaning rod. They just don't exist in retail. Then the mag adapter options. It is one of my favorite long guns, period.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Have you fired other caliber CX4's? Just wondering how they compared. I have been looking at one for the 92 mags. I know there are 10 round mags available for the PX4 45 but I would like to see 15 or 20 round capacity. going to the 45 would require buying a matching pistol.

Patron Member NRA

Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Have you fired other caliber CX4's? Just wondering how they compared. I have been looking at one for the 92 mags. I know there are 10 round mags available for the PX4 45 but I would like to see 15 or 20 round capacity. going to the 45 would require buying a matching pistol.
Test fired a newly purchased .40 S&W CX4. Felt about the same. For more capacity, no question a 40 is better, and the ammo is less expensive.