Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Good job and thanks for the report!

My advice is to put some snap caps randomly in your magazine with the live rounds. This will give away your flinches like it does mine. I don't know how to correct flinches, but the first step is acknowledging you have a problem...
Great advice! Where's the best place to pick up some snap caps? Local gun store? Wal-mart?

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Two quick questions you can ask yourself that may indicate whether you are anticipating recoil (flinching):

1) Did everyone else shoot low with your pistol?
2) Did you shoot low with every pistol?
1) Not that I could tell, Matt was shooting fairly center with the gun.
2) I think that I shot low with every gun, including the .45. Ah, we're on to something!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Great advice! Where's the best place to pick up some snap caps? Local gun store? Wal-mart?
My Wal-Mart doesn't have them, but they don't have much shooting stuff at all, and depending on the size of the gun store they may have them. I do know for sure that Bass Pro Shop has them.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #14

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Great thread going on. Each suggestion is good for help, but I am gonna ask about your stance and sight alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Most gun shops carry them. About $15 for a five pack.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Great thread going on. Each suggestion is good for help, but I am gonna ask about your stance and sight alignment.
Sight alignment? Do you mind explaining that a bit? I am still quite new to most of these terms since I started shooting a few weeks ago.

As for my stance, I stand with legs comfortably apart, left foot slightly in front of the right, left foot forward, right foot angling out at about 45 degrees, similar to a some martial arts ready stances. It just felt natural to me to stand that way, probably because I used to do Kung-Fu for a while.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

How are you lining up the front sight with the back sight? Are you keeping your head up and bringing the weapon to the height of your eyes, or are you dropping your head a little? Are you placing the front sight on the center, or just below center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Sight alignment can refer to the way the shooter views the sights in relation to each other (usually referred to as "sight picture"), or the way the shooter views the sight picture in relation to the target (usually referred to as "sight alignment").

I believe your gun uses the three-dot sights two on the rear sight, one on the front. The correct sight picture would be formed by aligning the dots so they look like this:

Then the sight alignment is formed by putting the bullseye on top of the center dot. Some people put a lot of bullseye above the center dot, others put the center dot directly over the bullseye. Personally, I say do whatever makes the bullets hit the middle.

You probably knew that stuff already, but you might be surprised how some people align their sights. I've heard of folks making a pyramid out of three-dot sights.

If you want to get some good information, I highly recommend The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob. Rather than taking a my-way-or-highway approach, he discusses the pros and cons of different grips, stances, etc. You can find it at a lot of bookstores or at Amazon.com. The 6th edition is the most current; they use a different author for each edition.

Happy shooting!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
How are you lining up the front sight with the back sight? Are you keeping your head up and bringing the weapon to the height of your eyes, or are you dropping your head a little? Are you placing the front sight on the center, or just below center?
I align the front dot in between the rear two dots while focusing on the front sight so that both the rear sight and the target are a little blurred, and I guess I aim with about half of the circle/center of the target above the sights, the rest covered by them.

I think my sight alignment is fine from what you guys are saying here, so I am probably flinching slightly when firing, thus hitting low. Could I be gripping the gun too tightly, maybe?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Sight alignment can refer to the way the shooter views the sights in relation to each other (usually referred to as "sight picture"), or the way the shooter views the sight picture in relation to the target (usually referred to as "sight alignment").

I believe your gun uses the three-dot sights two on the rear sight, one on the front. The correct sight picture would be formed by aligning the dots so they look like this:

Then the sight alignment is formed by putting the bullseye on top of the center dot. Some people put a lot of bullseye above the center dot, others put the center dot directly over the bullseye. Personally, I say do whatever makes the bullets hit the middle.

You probably knew that stuff already, but you might be surprised how some people align their sights. I've heard of folks making a pyramid out of three-dot sights.

If you want to get some good information, I highly recommend The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob. Rather than taking a my-way-or-highway approach, he discusses the pros and cons of different grips, stances, etc. You can find it at a lot of bookstores or at Amazon.com. The 6th edition is the most current; they use a different author for each edition.

Happy shooting!
Great stuff! Thanks for the clarification between sight alignment and sight picture, didn't know that! I already knew some of the essentials on aiming right, mostly from reading some of the articles here, and of course I throw in a pinch of common sense.

I will definitely check out The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. Sounds like a good addition to my library.

Tags
beretta, px4