Bell&Carlson A3 stock
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Bell&Carlson A3 stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bell&Carlson A3 stock

I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint early this year simply because I wanted to add a .308 bolt gun to my collection. I was also curious to find out how much accuracy I could get out of a rifle for around $1000, including scope, mounts and the rifle itself. I chose the 700 platform because it is probably the most popular bolt action rifle of all time. I ended up, after careful shopping, with Leupold mounts, Burris Signature Zee rings and a Super Sniper 10x42 scope. I, initially, wanted to find out just how much accuracy I could get out of the factory stock. I free floated the barrel,(you have to take out a whole lot more of the stock than you would think) glassed in the forend, and bedded the recoil lug. Load testing ended up with 41.5gr of 4064 in Win. cases, CCI BR primers 168 SMK's as the best loading. With weighed cases and a final loaded round variation of 4 tenths of a grain I took 5 rounds to the range and ended up with an 11/16" 5 shot group@ 100 yds. Conditions were a 5-10mph full R-L gusting wind. I was very pleased with the results for a pretty much stock rifle. The last piece of the puzzle was the stock. Considering the budget constraints I imposed on myself, I ended up purchasing the Bell & Carlson A3 stock from Stocky's Stocks for $234 and change delivered. The A3 better fits my style of shooting. I chose the olive/black web, ordered it on a Friday and, because it was in stock,(usually a 2-3 week wait) it was at my door on Tuesday. I was initially very impressed with the stock. It was very solid and asthetically pleasing. I found it to be a true drop in fit and the action and guard fit in very securely. I torqued it down to 65 in/lbs, looking forward to some trigger time. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so the next day it is off to the range. I took five different loadings with me, but none fashioned with the care of the five rounds I took the initial grouping with. It took three rounds to rezero and the next four went into a group of 3/8". They were Hornady 155 Amax's with 43.5gr RL-15, CCI BR primers, Win cases. I shot some of all the loadings I carried with me and they all shot less than MOA. out to 425yds. I was, to say the least, very impressed. In my opinion, for the average shooter the Bell & Carlson stock is all they will ever need. It is comfortable and, in my case, provides accuracy beyond which I am capable of delivering. You can spend the extra money for an HS Precision or a McMillan stock, but in most cases it will only be for bragging rights, not for shooting results. For the money, I don't think you can do much better.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #2

Liked 1321 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Sounds like you have a pretty nice boom stick on your hands,Roni.
Good shooting.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #3

It has turned out to be a fine shooting rifle. I shot 165 Game Kings,155 Palma Match, 155 Amax,168 SMK's both copper and moly with different loadings and they all were under 1". The new stock made a world of diffrence. Conditions today were even worse as far as wind was concerned than the day I shot the 11/16" group, so there's room for improvement. I also never let the barrel cool down, just kept on shooting, and the fact that the groups were under 1 MOA throughout really impressed me. It would not do that before. I was thinking of cutting the barrel back to 22", as I'm sure that would tighten up groups even further, but since it is shooting as well as it is, I think I will leave well enough alone for now.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

I have been stuck on the a5's