Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > barnes bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default barnes bullets

Hope off I am on the right forum. First off I have been loading a long time but this is a first for me, I was given a box of Barnes 110 gr ttsx bullets to try in my 270, my question is about barnes bullets, so hopefully some of you out there will be able to help me out. I started out with H-4350 and IMR 4350 at the lower end with both powders and worked up 1 and 1/2 grains with both. Everything else was per the barnes book. Results were poor at best. Well I then went and tried seating my bullets alittle farther out, same results.
Being somewhat hardheaded I went out and bought a box of 130 tsx's thinking maybe it was just the bullets and my gun. Used the same powders and right off the book again, same results. E-mailed Barnes and asked them about this and they said to go with seating my bullets .050 off my lands and fine tune from there. Well that did not get me anywhere so kept digging on the internet for more info.
I read one article that one person seated his all the way to the ogive and seen another that said he goes .080 or more, they both stated that these bullets need a good jump to perform well. How far should a guy go and is there any safety issues on how deep a person goes? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #2

Can't help as I've never reloaded the .270. Try posting in the Ammunition and Reloading, and I'm sure someone can help. I've gotten a lot of good info. there!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #3

Thanks, should have posted there to start with, I moved it.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default RE: 270 bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADLANDER1 View Post
Hope off I am on the right forum. First off I have been loading a long time but this is a first for me, I was given a box of Barnes 110 gr ttsx bullets to try in my 270, my question is about barnes bullets, so hopefully some of you out there will be able to help me out. I started out with H-4350 and IMR 4350 at the lower end with both powders and worked up 1 and 1/2 grains with both. Everything else was per the barnes book. Results were poor at best. Well I then went and tried seating my bullets alittle farther out, same results.
Being somewhat hardheaded I went out and bought a box of 130 tsx's thinking maybe it was just the bullets and my gun. Used the same powders and right off the book again, same results. E-mailed Barnes and asked them about this and they said to go with seating my bullets .050 off my lands and fine tune from there. Well that did not get me anywhere so kept digging on the internet for more info.
I read one article that one person seated his all the way to the ogive and seen another that said he goes .080 or more, they both stated that these bullets need a good jump to perform well. How far should a guy go and is there any safety issues on how deep a person goes? Thanks
I reload for my 270 alot. Here's what I've found. You can't seat 110 gr bullets close enough to the lands to be accurate. I use only 130, 140, & 150 gr bullets. I have used Jack O'Connor's load for years with great success! I started out with the accuracy load in the Sierra book. From there I set the length @ .15 from the lands. This distance has to be set by you as all rifle chambers are different. Log the length so you can set your dies accordingly. If you can get a Stoney Point gage to get your length it will make life easier. Also, check out Jack O'Connors loads for the 270 and you'll like the results. I don't have a link, but I have all of Jack's books. I grew up reading "uncle Jack". I hope this info is a little help. I have taken deer & antelope @ 350 yards for years! Good ole 270!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the info guys. DiabloMan-I have learned some about these Barnes bullets over the past few weeks. I have given up on them on this rifle. Went thru a box of 110 ttsx's trying 2 different powders with pretty poot results at best. One thing I did learn is most people including barnes stated they did perform better off the lands. Interesting point you made about the seating of different gr bullets. Loaded the 270 for alot of years and have never actually read Jack O'Connors books, guess I'll be doing some now.

Even though I gave up on Barnes bullets for my 270 I believe are a good bullets once you get them fine tune a load for your gun.