A bad day at the range

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > A bad day at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default A bad day at the range

Well there is really never a truly BAD day at the range...and my range is in my back yard.

Between the summertime heat and associated chiggers here in Arkansas I have not shot any in several weeks...my shooting was doo doo. Even with my trusty Browning. I cant remember the last time my shooting was this bad....I stopped after 50 rounds as I could not take it any longer!

Back to basics....how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine? I started shooting at 20 yards and that probably was my first mistake but I just couldn't get settled down for some odd reason....grip, focus on front sight, squeeze and pow...miss

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

Liked 1015 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Well there is really never a truly BAD day at the range...and my range is in my back yard.

Between the summertime heat and associated chiggers here in Arkansas I have not shot any in several weeks...my shooting was doo doo. Even with my trusty Browning. I cant remember the last time my shooting was this bad....I stopped after 50 rounds as I could not take it any longer!

Back to basics....how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine? I started shooting at 20 yards and that probably was my first mistake but I just couldn't get settled down for some odd reason....grip, focus on front sight, squeeze and pow...miss
At least you didnt have somebody there heckling you...Have a day like that with Annie Okley (readygirl) asking "what are you aiming at..." bla..bla..bla.. And blasting everything in sight with her hand cannons, .556, and slug gun...sheesh.. that girl has enough energy to power a small town. Sounds like you had a nice peaceful time shooting your gun,. I would just be glad for that, and do better next time.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

I hope you do not have bad driving days.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Shooting skills can atrophe very quickly. Since you can shoot in your backyard, try shooting often, but not very much. Maybe only 5 or 6 rounds at a time. It will keep you in practice. I know all about the heat and chiggers in Arkansas. When I was a young man I used love to go camping in Arkansas. Still go to Mountain View once a year. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I hope you do not have bad driving days.
no...I have not...but then again, I cant remember the last time I struggled so bad with my shooting either. I mean my first group wasn't a group...thought I was shooting blanks! I know it is all concentration and mechanics...snatching the trigger and combined with anticipation of recoil...my first group is often poor but this was really bad

I just put the gun away and sulked into the house for some soul searching.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Ouch! How is your eyesight lately? Depth perception off? Maybe a full physical might help? if you feel fine, maybe take a shooting refresher course. Also, the instructor can see if you picked up a bad habit. Slumps do happen though. Ask any professional athlete. They always get third party help to get back into the game.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser
how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine?:
Maybe snap caps? Load up some snap caps in a couple mags, and practice the fundamentals inside?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Sure, shooting proficiency is a perishable skill. But if it's only been a few weeks, I doubt you 'rusted' that much...

I had a terrible day 2 weeks ago...(if there is such a thing as a 'terrible' day at the range )...couldn't see squat, couldn't hit squat, basic fundamentals sucked out loud, I thought I'd had a stroke I didn't know about... It was infuriating...

Some days are just not your days, best to forget about it and try again next time. If you take it too seriously...(like I did that day)...it'll stop being fun...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

Liked 302 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I have found dry presses to be a great help with the ammo shortage. I had a great day at the range yesterday. Nothing outside of the 9 ring on a B27 at 7 yards. I am not a bullseye shooter, I usually practice flash sight shooting.

Did have some fun with the Ruger 22/45.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1895 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 3894

Bad day at the range, a horse fly takes a nose dive in the coffee mug!