Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   A bad day at the range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/bad-day-range-95330/)

Mouser 08-12-2013 10:06 PM

A bad day at the range

Well there is really never a truly BAD day at the range...and my range is in my back yard.

Between the summertime heat and associated chiggers here in Arkansas I have not shot any in several weeks...my shooting was doo doo.:( Even with my trusty Browning. I cant remember the last time my shooting was this bad....I stopped after 50 rounds as I could not take it any longer!

Back to basics....how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine? I started shooting at 20 yards and that probably was my first mistake but I just couldn't get settled down for some odd reason....grip, focus on front sight, squeeze and pow...miss:eek:

rn-cindy 08-12-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 1333740)
Well there is really never a truly BAD day at the range...and my range is in my back yard.

Between the summertime heat and associated chiggers here in Arkansas I have not shot any in several weeks...my shooting was doo doo.:( Even with my trusty Browning. I cant remember the last time my shooting was this bad....I stopped after 50 rounds as I could not take it any longer!

Back to basics....how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine? I started shooting at 20 yards and that probably was my first mistake but I just couldn't get settled down for some odd reason....grip, focus on front sight, squeeze and pow...miss:eek:

At least you didnt have somebody there heckling you...Have a day like that with Annie Okley (readygirl) asking "what are you aiming at..." bla..bla..bla.. And blasting everything in sight with her hand cannons, .556, and slug gun...sheesh.. that girl has enough energy to power a small town. Sounds like you had a nice peaceful time shooting your gun,. I would just be glad for that, and do better next time.

Jagermeister 08-12-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 1333740)

I hope you do not have bad driving days.:p:D

gr8oldguy 08-12-2013 10:46 PM

Shooting skills can atrophe very quickly. Since you can shoot in your backyard, try shooting often, but not very much. Maybe only 5 or 6 rounds at a time. It will keep you in practice. I know all about the heat and chiggers in Arkansas. When I was a young man I used love to go camping in Arkansas. Still go to Mountain View once a year. good luck

Mouser 08-12-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1333763)
I hope you do not have bad driving days.:p:D

no...I have not...but then again, I cant remember the last time I struggled so bad with my shooting either. I mean my first group wasn't a group...thought I was shooting blanks! I know it is all concentration and mechanics...snatching the trigger and combined with anticipation of recoil...my first group is often poor but this was really bad :o

I just put the gun away and sulked into the house for some soul searching.

Jagermeister 08-12-2013 10:55 PM

Ouch! How is your eyesight lately? Depth perception off? Maybe a full physical might help? if you feel fine, maybe take a shooting refresher course. Also, the instructor can see if you picked up a bad habit. Slumps do happen though. Ask any professional athlete. They always get third party help to get back into the game.

JW357 08-12-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser
how do you guys and gals combat rust and lack of practice to ensure you don't have a day like mine?:

Maybe snap caps? Load up some snap caps in a couple mags, and practice the fundamentals inside?

vincent 08-12-2013 11:19 PM

Sure, shooting proficiency is a perishable skill. But if it's only been a few weeks, I doubt you 'rusted' that much...

I had a terrible day 2 weeks ago...(if there is such a thing as a 'terrible' day at the range ;) )...couldn't see squat, couldn't hit squat, basic fundamentals sucked out loud, I thought I'd had a stroke I didn't know about...:mad: It was infuriating...

Some days are just not your days, best to forget about it and try again next time. If you take it too seriously...(like I did that day)...it'll stop being fun...:cool:

Fred_G 08-13-2013 12:37 AM

I have found dry presses to be a great help with the ammo shortage. I had a great day at the range yesterday. Nothing outside of the 9 ring on a B27 at 7 yards. I am not a bullseye shooter, I usually practice flash sight shooting.

Did have some fun with the Ruger 22/45.

Bigcountry02 08-13-2013 01:37 AM

Bad day at the range, a horse fly takes a nose dive in the coffee mug!