Bad Day at the Range?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Bad Day at the Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Bad Day at the Range?

Was at the local range Friday when a guy two stations down from me had a very unfortunate incident, though it could have been worse. This guy is a regular at the range so I have talked to him quite a bit in the past. Anyway, he came over to my table and asked me if I could help him. He said he fired his .25-06 and now he can't get the bolt open. He is a handloader and he said he must have over charged that last round. So, we borrowed a rubber mallet from the RO and hit the bolt handle a few whacks until the bolt opened.

The case was stuck in the chamber, so we knocked it out with a cleaning rod. The case looked awfully strange; then, I saw the problem. BTW, this .25-06 rifle is a Marlin X7. He also had on his table, a .300 Savage Remington 722 and some .300 Savage ammo laying there. Seems like he inadvertently put a .300 Savage round in the .25-06 rifle, closed the bolt, and fired it. That .30 caliber bullet actually went through and out that .25 caliber bore. I never knew such a thing could be possible. One possible reason might be that he was using Nosler 125 grain BT's (less bullet mass to be swaged down by the smaller bore.)

We noticed that the only visible damage was that the extractor on the bolt had broken off. I told him to take it to a gunsmith and see if it was safe to shoot after the extractor repair and if the gun has been compromised at all. I doubt if it has. The smith will also check the head space. The rifiling looked ok, but think the barrel may need to be replaced. I guess if it still is accurate, the barrel would still be ok. Anyway, I think he was very lucky that the gun didn't blow up.
ct

racer_x Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Wow sounds like he needs to pay better attention to what he's doing. Glad no one got hurt. I would definitely consider that a bad day at the range.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

WOW kinda like the pics of the 22 in a 17 that bullet pic shows alot lol
My luck it would come apart in my face, be like what the hell happend

Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #4

Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

A 30 cal through a 25 caliber bore?!? That I would have to see to believe. I would think the chamber would burst before it managed to push through. I had a brass get bad stuck once, it was the proper caliber and was not a hot load could have been a bad batch of powder since all loads showed excessive pressure well below max. Thank goodness it was a CRF action, the huge extractor claw held up just fine while I hammered the action open.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

It looks like the lesson here is to only have the ammo for the firearm you are shooting on the bench. That was one tough rifle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I have seen that happen a handful of times over the years,one laps in the thought process can result in tragedy,with any tool at hand!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

He reloads and does that type of mistake?

I would be real careful of my position the next time I see him at the range.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Was at the local range Friday when a guy two stations down from me had a very unfortunate incident, though it could have been worse. This guy is a regular at the range so I have talked to him quite a bit in the past. Anyway, he came over to my table and asked me if I could help him. He said he fired his .25-06 and now he can't get the bolt open. He is a handloader and he said he must have over charged that last round. So, we borrowed a rubber mallet from the RO and hit the bolt handle a few whacks until the bolt opened.

The case was stuck in the chamber, so we knocked it out with a cleaning rod. The case looked awfully strange; then, I saw the problem. BTW, this .25-06 rifle is a Marlin X7. He also had on his table, a .300 Savage Remington 722 and some .300 Savage ammo laying there. Seems like he inadvertently put a .300 Savage round in the .25-06 rifle, closed the bolt, and fired it. That .30 caliber bullet actually went through and out that .25 caliber bore. I never knew such a thing could be possible. One possible reason might be that he was using Nosler 125 grain BT's (less bullet mass to be swaged down by the smaller bore.)

We noticed that the only visible damage was that the extractor on the bolt had broken off. I told him to take it to a gunsmith and see if it was safe to shoot after the extractor repair and if the gun has been compromised at all. I doubt if it has. The smith will also check the head space. The rifiling looked ok, but think the barrel may need to be replaced. I guess if it still is accurate, the barrel would still be ok. Anyway, I think he was very lucky that the gun didn't blow up.
ct
Very good advise. I'll bet he watches his ammo a lot closer from now on....It was me I'd get a new bbl anyway. I'd be paranoid every time I shot it after that.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Yes in deed! He was very lucky and hopefully he did not damage the barrel ???? But there is a valuable lesson here you have shared with us! * Never have any other ammunition of a different caliber out of the box or storage container on the bench when firing another caliber. Better yet keep it in your range bag and exchange all ammunition on the bench when shooting various calibers at the same period. I bet we will not have to remind the gentleman of this simple and important range safety rule in the future!
Cottontop! Thanks for the "Reminder!" I have seen people commit this safety violation on more than one occasion. And I just cringe! I usually make some kind of polite suggestion or reminder when I see it. Some may shrug it off but then the old saying comes to mind! "You Can't Fix Stupid! But most will acknowledge by saying "Good Point" I had not thought about how easy it would be to get them mixed up. And especially when the casings are similar in size and length.
Had a guy shoot a 243 Winchester out of his 308 on one occasion. Same Case just different caliber for example! And a 9mm through a 40 Cal.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

danf_fl Likes This