awsome sucks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > awsome sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default awsome sucks

I took my brand new, never fired Stevens 200, .308 to the range today. I set it up on my gun rest with the bolt out and ligned up on a 2" bull 50 yards away through the breach. Then I adjusted the scope accordingly. This worked amazingly well. I droped the first round in the mag and chambered it. I fired the first round and couldn't believe how close it was to dead center. After firing 3 more rounds things went awry. I then shot at 4 rounds at 100 yds. and did everything but improve. Assuming I did my part what could cause this digression. Could it just be the gun needs to be broke in or maybe broken? All 10 shots were fired in about 10 minutes. See targets below.
50-yd.jpg 100yyd.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 01-23-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Nuttin from nuttin, dteed, but did you check the scope rings for loosening? Sometimes they can jar a bit loose if never fired. Just a suggestion.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Nuttin from nuttin, dteed, but did you check the scope rings for loosening? Sometimes they can jar a bit loose if never fired. Just a suggestion.
+1--The other poss. would be shooter error IMO. Check, tighten all scope mounts, re-test with a steady bench rest position.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First, how were the conditions? Any wind? Any mirage? ( probably not, but these things affect shooting. )

Well, I don't know a hell of a lot about this rifle, so I read a couple of reviews.

First, check your scope mount and make sure it is good and tight. Then check your action screws. If they are too tight, that is bad, if they are loose, that is worse.

It would appear that the barrel is supposed to be free floated from Savage. I would double check that first. Slip a dollar bill under the barrel and between the stock. It should slide freely all the up to, probably, within an inch or two from the front of the action. Also, check the crown and see if it's perfectly smooth and doesn't have some sort of nub or nick or mark that will affect the bullet as it's leaving.

The barrel is a button rifled styling, which while not the supremely accurate, should DEFINITELY produce better groups than what you got.

How does your brass look that has been fired? Does it have any unusual dents or wear around the rim? I am wondering about your chamber.

After that, there are several things we could check in the shop, but at home, with normal tools, it's going to be a bit difficult.

Please let us know what you find out...

JD

Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #5

Default checked it out

every thing seems to be tight, nothing irregular on the crown, brass looks new, bore looked a little dirty after ten rounds but not abnormally. I supose it could be shooter err but I shot my mauser after the 308 and shot consistantly. It does have iron sights and the groups were as good as the scoped 308. it was slightly overcast, temp was 36. wind at my back 0-5 mph.
one of the regulars at the range said it was probably because it was new and needs frequent cleaning while it is being broke in.
Thanks for the input. Ill be making future range reports.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If all is cool, then it could be just plain conditioning of the barrel (broken in). Tear down and clean barrel in direction of the bullet until, well, you know this.

Is the scope mount one or 2 pieces, if I may ask?

I wanted to add this: get it all cleaned up and update us on the next outing. Lots of members who can get you going in the right direction here. Gurus, if you will.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 01-24-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added the addition

Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

Default magazine

the gun is loaded from the top (no removable magazine) I have only 10-20% use of my hands so a one piece mount would make it almost impossible to load, Hense it has a 2 piece base. All screws were put in with Loc-tight. When I tightened them, I was more afraid of overtightening than undertightening. I have probably mounted 100 scopes in my time and the only problem I've ever had was a defective scope, but there is always a first time. Im far from thinking I am infailable. I've been married 3 times and all 3 of my wives have pointed that out.

Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 01-24-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

What type of ammo are you shooting? Handloads or Factory? What bullet weight?

Most of the Stevens 200 rifles I've heard about shoot nice groups,but you might need to find what it likes to eat along with breaking the barrel in a little first.

Like J.D. and the others suggested check the scope mounts & bases,and see if the barrel is free floated from the stock first.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #9

Default Ammo

Winchester 150gr PSP. I'm not going to get discouraged yet. Gonna take it to the range and do a shoot and clean to see if that improves it. If it does then I just need to put some rounds through it till it gets used to me,Ha Ha. I think it will straighten out. if not I'll shoot and clean it into submission. The amazing part of the whole thing was getting the first shot, after breach bore sighting, 1/2 inch from zero.

Paul.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

150 grain?? In .308?? What is the twist rate of that barrel? Because that could be your problem right there. Depending on the twist rate, the bullets might not be stable when they leave the bore, hence the flyers you are seeing.

I bought a barrel specifically for 168 BTHP for my .308 and even the barrel length was pre-determined to achieve the most accuracy from that round.

Probably need to check this item next brother. That could be a big part of your problem....

JD