Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Awesome Weekend Shooting

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Awesome Weekend Shooting

This weekend my family headed up to Bear Lake here in Utah. Because of the abundance of BLM land I really wanted to do some shooting. I thought there would only be a couple of us that would want to go as well, but surprisingly there quite a few that went along. We ended up taking quite a few guns.

Mossberg 12 guage
Winchester 1897 16 gauge
Unknown bolt action 20 gauge
Ruger Mark I
Ruger Mark III 22/45
Ruger LCP
Kahr PM9
Springfield 1911 .45
Unknown .22 rifle

We started off shooting the pistols and the .22 rifle while someone put the clay launcher together. Everyone loved the 1911 and couldn't get enough of shooting it. Sadly, I only brought 100 rounds. Luckily there was a lot more to shoot. It was the first time firing the 1911 since I bought it. Pulled right out of the case and cycled flawlessly. I love this thing and it was worth every damn penny. Now, they all want one.

We traded off an on shooting the Mark I and the Mark III. My III functioned great. There were a few rounds that didn't fire but other than that it worked perfectly. However, the older Mark I was a different story. It functioned perfectly all day until I saw a lot of smoke coming out it the bottom of the magazine and the bolt. To me this said, time to stop shooting the Mark I. My father, who owns the gun, said not to worry about it. Shortly after if failed. causing one of my nephews to burn his hand a little. He refused to shoot anything but his pellet gun for the rest of the trip as a result.

Here's a pic of the aftermath.



I continued putting some rounds through my PM9. Which ended up having two FTF. Both caused by something tripping the slide lock lever. I already filed it down. I'm going to call Kahr and see if they have a resolution for this beyond me hunting for ammo that won't trip it, or filing it down even more. Also, twice it failed to lock back the slide after expending the magazine. Besides that it was great and everyone loved shooting that too. Especially my bother and my father, both CCW holders.

Here's a shot of the FTF.



My dad shot his LCP for the first time and he's had it for close to a year now. Surprisingly it fired without any failures. However, I don't think he even put 50 rounds through it. All the while my other nephew was shooting his .22 rifle he had gotten from his grandfather on my in-laws side. He was having a blast and is showing a great interest in guns. Still needs to work on gun safety though.

Then we moved onto the shotguns. Unfortunately we didn't get to shoot the 16 gauge. It was acting a bit funny so I didn't trust it. It and the Mark I will be off to my uncle, who is a gunsmith, this week. We still had the 20 gauge and the 12 gauge. The last time I went shooting clays was in scouts. However, I managed to hit every single clay but one. I was surprised at that. I definitely want to pick up a good 12 gauge now and go clay shooting. The is a place near by that I hear is pretty good for that.

All in all, it was a great weekend of shooting. Can't wait to get out again!

__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 167
Default

My uncle had the same problem with his Kahr, though his is the PM40. Kahr sent him a new, stiffer guide rod/spring assembly. It's fixed the problem as far as we can tell. I don't know how it could effect the slide locking back on it's own, but it has. For what it's worth, my CM9 has a stiff-as-hell spring and it functions 100%.

__________________
afi1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Yeah, mine is stiff as hell too. Another known issue is the bullet tripping the slide lever. I guess I'll call Kahr and see which they suggest. Thanks for the tip. I would have never suspected the guide rod spring.

__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CA357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,871
Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default

Anytime family gets together to shoot is a great time. I'm happy for you & the family.

__________________
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
CA357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Sounds like an awesome time! But then again, it typically IS awesome buring powder.

A couple observations...if i may?

Quote:
He was having a blast and is showing a great interest in guns. Still needs to work on gun safety though.
This should be worked on at every juncture BEFORE and after handling a firearm. Learning safety is PARAMOUNT!! MUCH more important with new shooters than marksmanship!! Safety MUST be enforced then reinforced then BEAT into his head!!

Quote:
continued putting some rounds through my PM9. Which ended up having two FTF
Not too experienced with Kahrs...but in my experience with auto loaders, cleaning/oiling the mag/follower and polishing the feed ramp have fixed the FTF issue. By the looks of the picture the feed ramp is FILTHY and the nose of the round is pointing down. Would seem the follower is in a bind.
Quote:
Everyone loved the 1911 and couldn't get enough of shooting it. Sadly, I only brought 100 rounds. Luckily there was a lot more to shoot. It was the first time firing the 1911 since I bought it. Pulled right out of the case and cycled flawlessly. I love this thing and it was worth every damn penny. Now, they all want one.
Yep, thats the reaction i get out of my Springy 1911. Drop in a wilson combat trigger group and you'll REALLY know what love is!! Everyone who goes to the range w/ me FIGHTS over who gets to shoot my 1911 next. When i die there will be mass descension in my house over who gets the piece, from the wife to my 12 y/o...they ALL love that rig!!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 167
Default

The Kahr feed ramp is polished, and the bore is nicely throated. The issue he seems to be having is the slide locking back via the slide release. That being said, the Kahr magazines I have experience with will hang up if the rounds aren't seated in the mag properly.

__________________
afi1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
The Kahr feed ramp is polished, and the bore is nicely throated. The issue he seems to be having is the slide locking back via the slide release. That being said, the Kahr magazines I have experience with will hang up if the rounds aren't seated in the mag properly.
I understand their polished. But i have found taking a buffing wheel on my dremel to 'em helps. Buff up that factory shine, if you will.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 167
Default

True, and it certainly wouldn't hurt. Unlike a 1911, the round doesn't have to run a zig-zag route to the chamber, so it's less of an issue.

__________________
afi1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,407
Liked 1077 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

With the exception of the mishaps,it sounds like everyone had a good time.

Bear Lake is a beautiful area,I have an old girlfriend that lives in Logan,UT.,and I've been up to Bear Lake a few times when I visited her.

__________________
Txhillbilly is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Anytime family gets together to shoot is a great time. I'm happy for you & the family.
Thanks! Can't wait to get out and do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Sounds like an awesome time! But then again, it typically IS awesome buring powder.

A couple observations...if i may?
By all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
This should be worked on at every juncture BEFORE and after handling a firearm. Learning safety is PARAMOUNT!! MUCH more important with new shooters than marksmanship!! Safety MUST be enforced then reinforced then BEAT into his head!!
Yep.

I made comments when I saw something wrong. He needs to go to hunter's safety. Afterwards I talked to his dad, who was there, and told him that he needs to get some proper gun safety drilled into his head before he goes shooting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Not too experienced with Kahrs...but in my experience with auto loaders, cleaning/oiling the mag/follower and polishing the feed ramp have fixed the FTF issue. By the looks of the picture the feed ramp is FILTHY and the nose of the round is pointing down. Would seem the follower is in a bind.
That was bothering me. This is my carry gun. I clean it after every use. Prior to that picture I had put close to 200 rounds through it and it was dirty as hell. Maybe the rounds I was using were just really dirty rounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yep, thats the reaction i get out of my Springy 1911. Drop in a wilson combat trigger group and you'll REALLY know what love is!! Everyone who goes to the range w/ me FIGHTS over who gets to shoot my 1911 next. When i die there will be mass descension in my house over who gets the piece, from the wife to my 12 y/o...they ALL love that rig!!!
I think I need to get some training as well. I don't think my accuracy is very good. I'm newer to pistol shooting and I think my stance and grip need work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
The Kahr feed ramp is polished, and the bore is nicely throated. The issue he seems to be having is the slide locking back via the slide release. That being said, the Kahr magazines I have experience with will hang up if the rounds aren't seated in the mag properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I understand their polished. But i have found taking a buffing wheel on my dremel to 'em helps. Buff up that factory shine, if you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
True, and it certainly wouldn't hurt. Unlike a 1911, the round doesn't have to run a zig-zag route to the chamber, so it's less of an issue.
Yeah, I'm going to polish the feed ramp next time I have it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
With the exception of the mishaps,it sounds like everyone had a good time.

Bear Lake is a beautiful area,I have an old girlfriend that lives in Logan,UT.,and I've been up to Bear Lake a few times when I visited her.
Yeah, it's a great area. Kind of sad we didn't even go to the lake.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
One Awesome LEO Polygon Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 14 07-25-2011 10:17 PM
Awesome Shooting Accessories with Free Shipping on Amazon Slickguns Sponsor Display 0 07-14-2011 07:31 PM
Ruger's customer service is AWESOME ....S&W, not so awesome spittinfire The Club House 12 05-22-2011 03:22 AM
Awesome AK-47 Draco shooting video nighthawk23 AK & SKS Discussion 6 12-23-2010 06:05 PM
Dallas Shooting Supplies at the Dallas Arms gun show this weekend dallas-shooting The Club House 0 06-12-2009 03:55 PM



Newest Threads