Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Aunt and Uncle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Default Aunt and Uncle

My Aunt and Uncle just called to say they wanted to come down for a couple of days, she is 79 and he is 77. They want to go to the range and shoot the new pistols that they just bought.

I told them it was a busy weekend for me but we will make it out to the range, with my FIL, wife, daughter and her boyfriend. Family gun fun day.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Great family fun indeed!! Heading out myself in a bit, feels like a .22 kind of day. Have a blast and stay safe!! Perfect weather to shoot today...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6119 Times on 3707 Posts
Likes Given: 6933

Awesome. I hope I'm still shooting when I'm 79.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Sounds great. I hope I'm still living when I'm 79.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Awesome. I hope I'm still shooting when I'm 79.
I'll be happy breathing at 79.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #6

Man we had a blast at the range with the Aunt and Uncle. She bought a S&W 442 Air weight .38 snubbie. I picked up some lighter loads from the LGS for her to use in getting accustomed to the pistol, which proved a wise choice. She didn't like the recoil at first but after working on her grip and stance some she was shooting fairly well with it. She ran thru 250 rounds and had had enough for the day. She also shot a Taurus 941 .22 mag and really liked it, so being the guy I am, I told her if she would rather carry the .22 mag. that I would buy it and trade it for her S&W 442. I told her to shoot the rest of the ammo that she has for the 442 and see if she likes it any better or not, then we would decide on the .22 mag.

My uncle was shooting a Taurus 651 .357 and liked it better with the .38 rounds, he shot pretty good with it a 15-20' at 7-10' he was spot on, now he wants a Taurus Judge.

I have no problem collecting pistols but I still think that they could have saved some money by renting guns before buying what they thought they wanted, at least they did stay away from the .32's that they were looking at. Both of them have their CCW permits and want to carry daily after they get more training and range time.

Guys I am with you, I hope that I make it to 79 and am not worm food by then.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6119 Times on 3707 Posts
Likes Given: 6933

Sounds like a great time and learning experience. So nice of you to help them along.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 506 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 111

My father in alaw has a .38 spl snub, that he said was useless as a firearm, because he couldn't hit anything with it. then he tells me, he had a friend load him some "special" bullets just short of blowing up the gun, and that's all he ever shot through it... So, on the way to the range, we stop by the big box sporting goods store and pick up some commercial ammo. Said it shot a lot better than he remembered... well duh

Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

Thanks Winds, they are a great part of my family, we meet at the lake to ski, fish, swim and just to see each other. Helping them out with the guns is just doing the right thing, nothing worse than someone carrying a gun that they can't shoot or not even know how to load/unload it.

A cousin carried a pistol for over a year that he had never fired, now after expressing my opinion he goes to the range twice a month.
I really do not understand why people are willing to buy a gun and carry it and not know the gun or the law on guns.

Partdeux, I understand the hot loads, I tried some and realized how big of a mistake it was for me, the lighter loads are target loads that step up by the box to full .38 130 grain. She liked the lighter loads a lot. I let her shoot some thru my SP101 to see how the heavier gun felt, she liked it but was not willing to carry a heavy gun.

All in all I think we accomplished a lot for the first round at the range for them, they got comfortable shooting new guns, worked on grip and stance, even showed them how to clean their guns. Next trip is to an outdoor range in VA. to work on draw and reholster, moving and reloading, I have to pick up some speed loaders and speed strips to show them.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

It sounds like they have a good instructor. I have seen some real nightmares at the range with people that dont know how to shoot trying to teach. I will usually keep my mouth shut unless it gets dangerous. A couple of weeks ago I walked off the indoor range and sent the range manager in.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.