Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Asshat At The Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7663 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 9880

Default Asshat At The Range

The boys and I went to the range this afternoon, this is pretty unusual as it is a public day. The place was very busy but stations were still available. After several cease-fires this guy shows up with his 9-year-old kid just as the buzzer sounds for cease fire. He gets out of the truck and sends his kid over to the shooting station while he starts to take the gun case out of the truck to transport it to the shooting station (transporting firearms is strictly prohibited during cease fire and all minors must be within arms reach on the firing line or when they are handling firearms- all of this is said over the range PA system at the beginning of each cease fire and this father was present and outside of his vehicle when this was said on the PA).

A Range Marshal quickly told the father that he must put the gun case back into the truck until the cease fire was over. The guy got lippy and made no move to return the case to the truck saying that he was just going to bring it over to the bench, yada yada yada and the Marshal blocked the way and ordered him to put the case back in the truck. When the cease fire was over, the guy then brought the gun case over and opened it up and handed his son the rifle (a .22 Cricket- this on the 100 yard range) and the kid starts over to the shooting bench while the guy pulls another rifle out of the case. The Range Marshal again approached the pair and told him what the rules were, told the kid to stay within arms reach of his father etc. etc..

The guy gives the Marshal some crap, so the Marshal calls over the Range Master, who tells the guy to follow the rules or he would have to leave. At this point the guy decides he wants to use the benches about a dozen or so benches down, so he takes the one rifle and gives his kid the Cricket then takes off for the other bench with the rifle held muzzle forward down the line of benches. The kid was left about 20 yards or so behind him (but at least he was holding the gun muzzle up.) This elicited another visit by the Range Master who gave him some more instructions.

Another cease fire was called, and we were done for the day, so while the boys were packing up the targets and ammo and such behind the firing line (but not the firearms) I walked down and introduced myself and told him very politely that we had been coming to this range since I was his son's age as had my two teenage boys, and they were held to the same strict rules as his son was even though they were much older, etc. etc. I mentioned that the rules were there for everybody's safety etc..

He responded by saying that if somebody gets in his face again like the Range Master did he was going to start a fight (did I mention that this guy is about 5' 4" tall and my sons and are a foot taller than him? Not that this should matter.). I told him that he better not start any fights, good luck with teaching his kid safe gun handling and have a nice day, then went back to help the boys pack up our stuff behind the firing line and then the rifles once commence firing was called again. Sure enough this guy does another bonehead move, which generated yet another visit from the RM. They were still talking to him as we drove off.

What a douche.

Other than that we had a great afternoon. Shot the "new" AR and got it sighted in pretty good, shooting about 1" groups at 100 yards with Black Hills factory reloads, the Federal factory loads were about 5 inch scattershots (can't hardly call them a group). Should easily get it down to sub-MOA with a little testing our own reloads and a little more magnification (we were using a Leupold Mark 4 1-3x14 tactical scope).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

1. Asshat made my day. 2. People like that get banned here all the time.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I stopped going to the range on weekends. It's when the idiots come out to play.

I do shoot Sat at opening time (8:00AM) on occasion because it's the only time my student can go. Fortunately for us the idiots are still sleeping off the night before and the gank-sters are still in the emergency room.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I stopped going to the range on weekends. It's when the idiots come out to play.

I do shoot Sat at opening time (8:00AM) on occasion because it's the only time my student can go. Fortunately for us the idiots are still sleeping off the night before and the gank-sters are still in the emergency room.
I love living in the woods. We just have dumb hillbillies.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
1. Asshat made my day. 2. People like that get banned here all the time.
Where are you located?

Quote:
You calling me and the boys dumb?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
yeah, i like living in a rural area. i can shoot just about anytime i please. iahve my own range set up behind the house.

Tactical, i resemble, i mean resent the dumb hillbilly reference!
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Where are you located?

You calling me and the boys dumb?
In the middle of erie and pittsburgh

Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yeah, i like living in a rural area. i can shoot just about anytime i please. iahve my own range set up behind the house.

Tactical, i resemble, i mean resent the dumb hillbilly reference!
If you saw these guys you would understand.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Hmmm. Around here its the dumbass flatlanders who make the range unsafe. The hillbillies like us usually don't go on public days.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
If you saw these guys you would understand.
Do tell! did you take any pics?