Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > AR Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Default AR Pistol

At my outdoor range the other day, I was on the 50' pistol/.22 rifle range. Guy two lanes down was shooting his Glock. I was apparently lost in my Mark III world when BLAM. Nearly popped an ear drum.

Looked over and he had substituted his Glock for an AR "Pistol". .223 carbine without the butt stock.

Everyone on the 50' range was shooting him daggers. He said "What?". I very politely mentioned that the range was pistol/.22 rifle. BIG ASS sign said no center fire rifle.

He said "his AR is legally considered a pistol". I politely suggested he consult with one of the range masters. He did and they moved him to the center fire rifle range.

I went down later and watched him shoot his "pistol" on the 50 yard range. Looked very uncomfortable shooting. Not very accurate in that configuration.

I like AR's but that seemed to be somewhat a waste of money. IMO.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

I agree the ar was never meant to be a pistol neither was the ak. The ak would be better than the ar tho. But whatever floats his boat.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

If configured to shoot rifle calibers I agree the AR pistol is a waste of money and time. But, configured to shoot a pistol calibers it may have a use ... not for me but maybe for some.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #4

My buddy has an AR15 pistol. It's a hell of a lot fun to shoot, just put a little red/green dot sight on it and it's fairly accurate. No "real world" use but a very fun day of blowing off steam!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

i have a keltec plr16 with an eotec and i love shooting it. But it really doesn't have any real purpose.