Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Ar is broken :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ar is broken :(

My friend and I took his AR to the range today yet again. I sighted in his primary arms pac3x scope that is brand new practically(3rd time using it). Got it sighted in at 25 yards. Shoots absolutely perfect no problems what so ever. Moved target to 50 yards, shot at center bullseye expecting a little bullet drop, the hole was 4 inches above the bullseye. It didn't make any sense to either of us. We put 10 rounds down range with all the same result. All above the bullseye. Moved the target back to 25 yards, shot dead on. At 50 yards, I had it absolutely perfect line straight above the bullseye but a centimeter here and there between bullets trying to figure out what was wrong. We are still clueless about the whole situation. Didn't know if it was a defective scope or what. He is checking into it tonight. Any ideas? Picture @ 25 yards zeroing in, 30 rnds.

100_0591.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It's perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.
Try it at 100 yards.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 632

its not broke. thats the bullet trajectory. you sighted it in at 25yds. that is pretty close for a scope. so after the bullet hits 25 yards it starts "climbing up" past the axis of the scope so at 50 it was hitting high. i bet if you shot it at 100 or 200 you would be closer to the center again as the bullet begins to fall.

note. whenever you sight in a scope the scopes line of sight will differ from the path the bullet travels, thus the scope will intersecte the bullets path at 2 distances. and be either higher or lower at all other distances in between.
hope the picture helps

trajectory.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 07-31-2012 at 12:19 AM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Crap 100 range. This dude there last time was talking about all of these competitions and all he has shot at and all of the guns he had. I was pretty taken back by it all. He was just handing us stuff to shoot and just on and on about all the competitions he has shot at. Tried to help out here and there. Pretty awesome of an older man to just "take to" some youngers that are seemingly "heathen". The ar is forever broken. It was the 3rd time shooting it and its having nothing but issues xD The title was towards the issues he is having with it considering there are probably less than 200 rounds through it. Not so much the scope that he could have paid 100$ more and got something worth the money. But as I said in the last thread about his AR, its his money and its his gun. Can't really tell him too much with how to shoot it or what to get for it.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW, I am not one to buy any type of scope. I have always learned to shoot irons up to 100 yards. Then you can barely make out a quarter.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx View Post
Crap 100 range. This dude there last time was talking about all of these competitions and all he has shot at and all of the guns he had. I was pretty taken back by it all. He was just handing us stuff to shoot and just on and on about all the competitions he has shot at. Tried to help out here and there. Pretty awesome of an older man to just "take to" some youngers that are seemingly "heathen". The ar is forever broken. It was the 3rd time shooting it and its having nothing but issues xD The title was towards the issues he is having with it considering there are probably less than 200 rounds through it. Not so much the scope that he could have paid 100$ more and got something worth the money. But as I said in the last thread about his AR, its his money and its his gun. Can't really tell him too much with how to shoot it or what to get for it.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

100 Yard range max

Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Friend is having ejection and chambering issues with it. Sometimes it wants to double feed, sometimes it wont even feed anything into the chamber. The bolt totally misses. Last time, mistake was on his part by not bringing a wrench to tighten down the scope and he wasn't driving 30 mins home then 30 mins back. It has been nothing but let downs for him. I feel bad for him.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3626

Probably mag issues.

Last edited by towboater; 07-31-2012 at 12:44 AM.