AR-15 first time out
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > AR-15 first time out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default AR-15 first time out

Finished my AR build yesterday, took it up the mountain this morning! My old man had the bright idea to wear crocs , so he got fed up with the bugs and the spiny seed pods stuck under his feet and wanted to leave after less than 100 rounds. I'll probably be going back up tomorrow morning and getting more familiar with my rifle, hopefully getting my rounds a little closer to home.
arrangereportriflepic.jpg
These are my first 20 shots, 10 at 50yds fiddling with the irons, and ten from 75yds after getting my rear sight more or less dialed in.
arrangereportfirst10.jpg
This is my dad's target at about 50yds from a sitting position
arrangereportdadstarget.jpg
This my final 20 shots, at about 50yds, from a standing position
arrangereportfinal20.jpg

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, who ever that target was, he isn't happy!!

Looks like a nice shooter!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congrats on a build well done! It looks like you have a shooter there for sure. Now you'll be wanting to build another.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn Croc-seeds!

Nice shootin'.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haley Jo and grandpa test drove the 6.8 last Saturday and that little girl handled that firearm without any trouble. I figured that the 6.8 would be a good choice for a 10 year old and it's nice to be right for a change. Next trip we start punching holes in paper off the bench, er picnic table.

She also shot the Ruger Mark II for the first time. It was freaky but on the second round the back of the case separated sending a powder flash that hit her on both arms and her right cheek. Needless to say, this did not make her happy. Haley suffered some minor discomfort, although, I had to laugh when she asked me if it went in her. I asked her what she was talking about and she said the bullet. I told her that the bullet went out the other end of the pistol but she still had to look in the mirror on the truck for a hole in her head. Kids, you can't help but love them.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 06-28-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Haley Jo and grandpa test drove the 6.8 last Saturday and that little girl handled that firearm without any trouble. I figured that the 6.8 would be a good choice for a 10 year old and it's nice to be right for a change. Next trip we start punching holes in paper off the bench, er picnic table.

She also shot the Ruger Mark II for the first time. It was freaky but on the second round the back of the case separated sending a powder flash that hit her on both arms and her right cheek. Needless to say, this did not make her happy. Haley suffered some minor discomfort, although, I had to laugh when she asked me if it went in her. I asked her what she was talking about and she said the bullet. I told her that the bullet went out the other end of the pistol but she still had to look in the mirror on the truck for a hole in her head. Kids, you can't help but love them.
Aw, poor lass. I was really interested in the 6.8, but ammo looked like it was so expensive I wouldn't really be able to get acquainted with the platform as much as I'd like to. How do you like it?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Daggle,Welcome to the EBR fraternity,and that's a fine rifle you have there.

Nice shooting also.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Aw, poor lass. I was really interested in the 6.8, but ammo looked like it was so expensive I wouldn't really be able to get acquainted with the platform as much as I'd like to. How do you like it?
We haven't punched any holes yet but as far as recoil goes it very manageable for the granddaughter. I built it on an A4 platform with a six position stock and it fits her nicely.

I'm loading 29.5 grains of H335 behind a 110 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet. Hopefully this will prove to be enough for whitetails.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great report, great rifle!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very nice AR you built!! Great shooting too!!!

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered