AR 15 100 yds sighting in...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > AR 15 100 yds sighting in...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR 15 100 yds sighting in...

I'm trying to get my Nikon scope sighted in. Here's where I'm at right now. I think I can get better groups(this is a 2" group-10 shots) but I have to figure out if I need to work on myself or the scope. BTW it's a Bushmaster 20".

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's probably you not the scope, however, just to be sure put it into a cleaning vise and shoot it from it it should keep it steadier.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
It's probably you not the scope, however, just to be sure put it into a cleaning vise and shoot it from it it should keep it steadier.
Believe it or not, I was shooting off a Caldwell Lead Slead earlier, and I actually got better groups shooting off sandbags

Old 10-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Believe it or not, I was shooting off a Caldwell Lead Slead earlier, and I actually got better groups shooting off sandbags
That is strange no nicks on the crown is there?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What type of ammo? I would think 2" with cheap ammo would be decent results from a standard AR.
If its match ammo and rifle maybe your rifle likes heavier or lighter bullets.
What twist rate is your bushy?
Was there a strong cross wind?
You got 7shots in a nice 1.25" cluster then 3 high left, were they your last shots of the group?
If so it could be your barrel started to heat up causing group shift during the 10shot string.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
What type of ammo? I would think 2" with cheap ammo would be decent results from a standard AR.
If its match ammo and rifle maybe your rifle likes heavier or lighter bullets.
What twist rate is your bushy?
Was there a strong cross wind?
You got 7shots in a nice 1.25" cluster then 3 high left, were they your last shots of the group?
If so it could be your barrel started to heat up causing group shift during the 10shot string.
I was using Hornady 75 gr. match in a 1:7 barrel. Just a slight variable breeze.
As far as the groups go, I admit I didn't notice which ones were which.
I was shooting 10 rounds at a time, with a couple of minutes in between groups, so I hope the barrel didn't heat up that much. BTW I was using a 5 round magazine, so I had some downtime between mag reloads.
I'm just afraid to mess with the scope if it's really just me

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #7

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Put some flags up to judge the speed and direction of wind. Three to five will do for 100 yards. Read the wind when you are shooting first and only shoot when the flags are showing the same movement and direction from your first shots. This can reduce windage issues form your practice shots through your follolwing shots.

The range I go to has unpredictable direction and high gust winds on a regular basis and this practice helps alot. I learned this form the bench guys/gals.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Put some flags up to judge the speed and direction of wind. Three to five will do for 100 yards. Read the wind when you are shooting first and only shoot when the flags are showing the same movement and direction from your first shots. This can reduce windage issues form your practice shots through your follolwing shots.

The range I go to has unpredictable direction and high gust winds on a regular basis and this practice helps alot. I learned this form the bench guys/gals.
Good suggestion; thanks a bunch

Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #9

I have an ar just like yourself and what you need to do is sight it in without the scope first. Use site black (black spray paint) on the front site post, just a little and shoot from 50 feet from a very tight loop sling my preference. Most important smooth slow trigger squeeze, focus on the front site post and relax and take two normal relaxed breaths and shoot. I would shoot 3 round groups at a time that way you could find out if its trigger jerk or your sights. If your shooting a very tight group you need to adjust your scope. semper fidelis

Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Paramount in sighting a gun, is understanding that point of impact changes as the barrel heats up. Shot 1 will never be the same as shot 5 or 10.

Getting it sighted in "knats ass" on a hot barrel, will not yield expected point of impact on a cold barrel.

When sighting my guns, its always 3 targets, side by side. From left to right- one shot each. Then allow the gun to cool. Repeat 3-5 times. This allows the utmost consistencies in different stages of barrel temp. You will learn the deviation from shot to shot.

My old 7mag would be a full inch deviation from hot to cold.

If you wish to have the very best chance of proper sighting, this is the widely accepted method of doing it. A good bull barrel carbine length ar CAN be exact at distances up to 500+ yards. This would not be a logical method of sighting in your old 30-30 if your only shooting at 100 yards targets, as the standard deviation is moot.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?