Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Another Range Idiot. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/another-range-idiot-72402/)

cottontop 09-14-2012 01:54 PM

Another Range Idiot.

Last week I made my weekly trek to the public range. As I was shooting, I noticed I was having very little consistency. I was puzzled as This particular rifle is very accurate. Then I noticed that the idiot next to me had no target down range in which to shoot. This boob was shooting at MY target. You can imagine how p.o.ed I was. The conversation went as follows: "Hey, you are shooting at my target!"
"Oh, sorry."
"Where's your target?"
"I was just shooting at a spot on the dirt."
"Then why were you shooting my target?"
"I thought somebody just left it there."
"Then what the hell did you think I was shooting at?"
There was no more reply after that question. I have no idea what was going through this jerk's mind. Not only that, some other idiot with binocculars was coaching him and telling him where he was hitting on my target.

This guy always walks all over the firing line talking to everybody and offering all kinds of advice. He never shuts up. The worst thing is that he is always there. I envy you guys who shoot on private ranges.
cottontop

The_Kid 09-14-2012 02:43 PM

LOL! That is so funny on so many levels!

KG7IL 09-14-2012 02:54 PM

What has the response been from the range officer or staff.

He may not be a boob or an idiot, but a protected class.

At my range, however he would be given a stern talk and a time out.
Probably not let them shoot here again.

sdiver35 09-14-2012 03:01 PM

You have to be kidding! Who would shoot at a spot of dirt at the range and not even bring a target and have a spotter??

Yikes!!

fmj 09-14-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdiver35 (Post 940374)
You have to be kidding! Who would shoot at a spot of dirt at the range and not even bring a target and have a spotter??

Yikes!!

>>snort<< Really? REEALLY!??! You actually asked that question?

How about tacticool billyjoebob. Theres one at EVERY public range...sometimes they bring their entire family.

sdiver35 09-14-2012 03:58 PM

I guess I stay too focused on what I'm shooting to notice. We also don't shoot on the main line at our range unless shooting rifle. Pistol we go to a private range.

partdeux 09-14-2012 04:06 PM

Considering it was at a private club range where one of the "popular members" had a ND with the muzzle loosely pointed in my direction... I'll take the public range with their overly anal safety regs any day.

ryguy00 09-14-2012 04:21 PM

A few friends and i were pracricing shooting while moving on our privare range with our ar's. My friend was moving backwards and tripped over a tree root falling backwards and landed on the ground. He swept the entire sky with his muzzle. He also removed his finger from the trigger immediately when he hit the tree root. Not a single round was fired off target.

I dont feel bad for those of you who shoot at public ranges. I feel bad for those of you who are forced to shoot with idiots.

JTJ 09-14-2012 05:35 PM

I bring my own target stands because the idiots have no regard for the ones provided. I used to build the stands for the range but stopped after seeing what was being done to them. I also bring a side barrier to prevent fired cases from hitting other shooters. I have been peppered with hot cases when someone cuts loose with an AR or Mini.

TekGreg 09-14-2012 05:54 PM

I would've tracked down a Range or Safety Officer, no matter how many doors I had to kick open to find them and demand they discipline him. When it comes to someone stealing my property and my time while acting like an idiot, I turn into a first-class *ssh*le. If you let them get away with it they will just keep doing it. As an afterthought, I'd report him, the incident and the officer I spoke to in a letter t the owner and expect action. Crossfire like that can endanger range workers or, in some cases, civilians.

If you make it absolute Hell for everyone involved, they will take safety more seriously and will know to NEVER mess with you again.